• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Redbacks

International Captain
I've been thinking this for a few weeks now - does anyone think Hinkley is getting a free ride? He may be coming under some pressure now in Adelaide, but honestly he's closing in on a year and a half of just utter **** performances from a team that was a kick away from a Grand Final in 2014. And I get that he's lost Ryder and Monfries due to Essendope saga but still...

Like if you're going to get all the plaudits during 2013 and 2014 (and those two years were spent by the AFL media lauding how great Hinkley is for turning around Primus' ****fest of a coaching run) you have to cop it when you're playing a game plan that looks mediocre, and your team's skills have fallen away completely.
The talk around Adelaide has been about how important Phil Walsh was as the tactician whilst Hinkley is the great man manager/head coach. After Walsh left to go to the Crows and Voss came in the Power haven't been the same side structurally.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone think AFL is going through a bit of a defensive phase atm? Admittedly I haven't watched as many games this year as the last couple as I've been bloody busy with other things in life, but from what I've seen there appears to be a bit of a trend where defence is winning out over attack this season a bit more than in the past. Still love it, mind you.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Anyone think AFL is going through a bit of a defensive phase atm? Admittedly I haven't watched as many games this year as the last couple as I've been bloody busy with other things in life, but from what I've seen there appears to be a bit of a trend where defence is winning out over attack this season a bit more than in the past. Still love it, mind you.
All scoring indicators are up this year, more teams scoring over 100 points per game than the past few seasons.

There has been a bit of a reversion to the mean as the season has gone on, but it's still been better to watch in general than the past few seasons.

morgieb

As Jack points out, the game if anything is more attacking this year. Witness Freo's season as an example. Last week was a bit different, admittedly.

I think part of it is that defence is a lot easier to teach to a level that will win matches than attack. So gameplan wise most sides try to defend (though Lyon/Malthouse style defences are on their way out I suspect) rather than attack. Especially the weaker ones, as it gives them a chance to be more competitive.

Burgey

Cheers. As I said, haven't seen a lot of games yet, hoping to change that over the next month or so.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Think you've maybe watched the few defensive games unfortunately. One of the highest scoring years in the last 10-15 years so far I believe?

Last edited:

morgieb

Think you've maybe watched the few defensive games unfortunately. One of the highest scoring years in the last 10-15 years so far I believe?
The average score this year is 92 points per team, which is pretty much the average of the last 20 years. Last two years were around 86, for reference (which is lower than any year after about 1970 IIRC)

morgieb

Surely this year not only romps 2014 and 2015, but 2005-2006 as well?
2005 was actually very high scoring despite Sydney winning (we were the 3rd lowest scoring side in the H&A season), the average was 95 PPT. 2006 was 92 PPT.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt you would find many North fans who are at all surprised at dropping this game. I actually had us down to lose by a bit more. Certain playesr aren't pulling their weight at the moment, but still 12 games to go and the 9 straight has put us in a great position for top 4.

Redbacks

International Captain
Sydney flag favourites all of a sudden! If Buddy stays fit they would have to be a chance of finishing top 2 so I guess they deserve to be rated so highly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's a big time win by the Blues. Would have been a great win anyway but losing two men early makes it incredible.