• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

howardj

International Coach
Perfect opportunity to get rid of a $700 000 ball and chain, without having to pay out his contract.

howardj

International Coach
I thought it was a good idea to pick him up last year, but he’s been a dud, and at 29 is now just clogging up the salary cap. Moreover, it's his attitude that stinks. He was like a teenage boy on the Footy Show the other week - all defiant and sulky. And he's not even taking his injury rehab seriously (he wants to spend his summer in Melbourne, rather than getting his injury attended to here in Brisbane).

Wow - 29, not much money to his name, jobless, not many qualifications, and unfortunately a marriage on the skids.

Sad really.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought it was a good idea to pick him up last year, but he’s been a dud, and at 29 is now just clogging up the salary cap. Moreover, it's his attitude that stinks. He was like a teenage boy on the Footy Show the other week - all defiant and sulky. And he's not even taking his injury rehab seriously (he wants to spend his summer in Melbourne, rather than getting his injury attended to here in Brisbane).

Wow - 29, not much money to his name, jobless, not many qualifications, and unfortunately a marriage on the skids.

Sad really.
Yeah, my heart bleeds for sleazy alcoholic infidels.

The guy has spent his 20s as a demi-god, lighting up footy games, screwing supermodels, punting millions... sure, he's had a hard life. Now he'll write a book and go on TV, maybe do some motivational speaking if he ever cleans up. Not like he's gonna be any worse off than you or me.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, sometimes dickheads get what they deserve. Even though as mentioned, he probably won't here. Horrific call by Brissy in the end to pick him up.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pavlich commits to Fremantle

Pleased to see that personally. Sentimentally, it would have been a pity to see Pav go just when Freo look to be entering a promising era. Cynically, I wonder whether that means that GC have got Ablett over the line, and hence had to decrease what they could offer Pav. I can't imagine even they would have room to pay what it would take to get both Ablett and Pav to dump their clubs.

Why clubs feel burnt by Suns
Raises some fair points as to why the clubs are feeling shafted at the moment. Even in this process, there's a variety of ways things could be done, and what has happened at Port and Brisbane is down the brutal end of that spectrum from the losing club's point of view.

Craig

World Traveller
Can't help but wonder what the future of the AFL is in Queensland right now. Rischitelli's defection is another blow that the Lions really didn't need. If they end up losing Brennan and/or Drummond to salary cap pressure then they've got serious problems, given that such pressure won't be relieved until Brown, Power, Fev and Black are gone (notwithstanding the fact that Black and I think Power are veterans).

I don't think either of the two Queensland teams are destined to fail, but you have to wonder how much of the AFL's territorial gains in Queensland will be offset if they let the Lions turn into a basketcase. Their drafting has been pretty good though, hopefully they unearth a couple more blokes that way this year instead of trying to trade their way to success. Actually, I was just thinking that Voss' recruiting reminds me of Eric Cartman trying to get his money back from Scott Tenorman after buying his pubes.

Alright alright. I'll trade you my pubes back for the money.
You will? Oh, cool!
How much did I charge? Uh, oh yeah. Ten dollars. You got change for a twenty?
Oh. Uh, let' see. I only got six dollars and twelve cents.
Oh. well... that's okay. Here. Just... give me the six dollars. And then I'll... give you the twenty.
...Okay.
Now, give me the pubes, and I'll give you back two dollars.
Right.
Now, give me the twelve cents, and I'll give you the rest of your change back.
Cool.
And then give me the twenty, and I'll give you the pubes.
Sweet!

FTR, X Clarke = the pubes.
Do you think that was because he such a good offer from the Suns, or because last year he was offered as trade bait to Carlton?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you think that was because he such a good offer from the Suns, or because last year he was offered as trade bait to Carlton?
The second one probably kicked it off, the first one sealed the deal.

Bit of column a, bit of column b.

People reckon Fev was set up?
That was actually my first reaction tbh - high fives all around at Lions HQ.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Was wondering, but reckon they'd hesitate at actually making a complaint with police - there could be consequences beyond bad press if they did so and it came unstuck. Does highlight how disastrously bad a decision it was by the Lions to contract him for so much.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Was wondering, but reckon they'd hesitate at actually making a complaint with police - there could be consequences beyond bad press if they did so and it came unstuck. Does highlight how disastrously bad a decision it was by the Lions to contract him for so much.
Yeah I don't think they would have orchestrated the situation, but the lack of action to Fev's defence is almost palpable.