• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

howardj

International Coach
Aside from GWS's barstardised list, we are the youngest list in the competition

When you're going crap, at least as a supporter, you can hold onto that

howardj

International Coach
For the record, the "sick kid" line has been taken as an insult directed at the kid. My understanding is that it wasn't - he just said to Cornes "shouldn't you be at home with your kid instead of playing football?" Not the smartest thing no, but hardly the type of thing people are making it out to be. Oh, and Cornes had already had taken a shot at Minson's dead father so there is that.
Yeah, I think the whole thing is a bit precious, and moreover hypocritical. I mean, most blokes have ridiculed/humiliated a fat, ugly chick when they walk past your group of mates. That's no better than racism really - you're singling out a person's most obvious physical characteristics, what you perceive to be their biggest vulnerability, and using that against that person.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly one of the worst performances from this club in years - and there's a heap to choose from. McCartney seems like a nice guy and all, but so predictable and one-dimensional. In the time I've supported this club, we've not drafted one key forward who has made it. The only club in the league who has managed that.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So encouraging seeing us play like this, especially when you consider how poor we were in some of the earlier rounds.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And fmd at criticising Diesel and Harvey. Holy ****. Has to be the worst post in AFL thread history.

Especially how he claims that Goodes deserves respect because he's a dual Brownlow medallist, overlooking the fact that Williams has won two (should've been three) himself as has Harvey :laugh:
So those guys didnt have weaknesses?

Anyway, you'll notice that I didnt say that either WERE NOT GREAT PLAYERS

That would be sheer insanity as both had longevity and won virtually every accolade in the game so meet every criteria - just like Goodes

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Generally this only gets called if he goes for a specky or something. You know a big leap on someone's back. Just running straight through and crashing the pack is fine (and is what every team wants their FF/CHF to do)
Yeah. Ftr I actually got the impression he was flying to take speccie last night but just mistimed it on several occasions by between 5-10 seconds. Wasn't sure.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think the whole thing is a bit precious, and moreover hypocritical. I mean, most blokes have ridiculed/humiliated a fat, ugly chick when they walk past your group of mates. That's no better than racism really - you're singling out a person's most obvious physical characteristics, what you perceive to be their biggest vulnerability, and using that against that person.
I agree in principle re: the preciousness. Like why is making fun of somebody's mum so much worse than some other insult that it deserves a week off? Makes little sense really.

Racism is different though because it does have a broader impact on the community than just insulting someone. It's especially true of sport because a lot of sport is international, or aspires to be, and racial tolerance is obviously crucial to that. Even beyond that, making fun of a fat chick might be cruel but it's not going to divide a society. Most insults don't carry with them the implication that the person being insulted and those like them are actually bad or untrustworthy people who hurt the community just by existing, but you can bet most people who use racial epithets as insults do actually draw broad conclusions about character from race. Essentially, there's a connection between racial insults being commonplace on a football field and people actually being racist, viewing racism as acceptable etc, but I don't think Minson actually has a problem with people's mothers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great game. Two top sides going toe to toe always awesome to watch.

Blokes in this thread that doubted West Coast changed their mind? Or still have doubts?

They look unbelievably great to me. As do the Pies obviously.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dear BT

Bellchambers was rightly dropped. His performances have been ok, but replacing him with Hille means Ryder can go back to being the number 1 ruckman, where we have no doubt he will outperform Bellchambers, and Hille replaces Ryder in the forward line, which is more or less no difference

howardj

International Coach
I agree in principle re: the preciousness. Like why is making fun of somebody's mum so much worse than some other insult that it deserves a week off? Makes little sense really.

Racism is different though because it does have a broader impact on the community than just insulting someone. It's especially true of sport because a lot of sport is international, or aspires to be, and racial tolerance is obviously crucial to that. Even beyond that, making fun of a fat chick might be cruel but it's not going to divide a society. Most insults don't carry with them the implication that the person being insulted and those like them are actually bad or untrustworthy people who hurt the community just by existing, but you can bet most people who use racial epithets as insults do actually draw broad conclusions about character from race. Essentially, there's a connection between racial insults being commonplace on a football field and people actually being racist, viewing racism as acceptable etc, but I don't think Minson actually has a problem with people's mothers.
Fair enough, good points :)