• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

American/Aussie posters: Describe your "matchday experience"

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's ironic, is that until last year (when whilst sat in the Everton crowd at the Emirates a load of their fans started racist chants and tried to get at the Arsenal fans on the other side of the barricades) the only crowd violence I had ever actually seen first hand was at a Cricket Match. Was the semi-final of the C&G Trophy between Hants and Yorks a few years back. Pothas and I were sat there happily watching Sean Ervine close in on his century when some incredibly fat woman sat a few rows in from of us (wearing an England ODI shirt with Tremlett printed on the back) took exception to something someone had said and attempted to lamp them, a brief fracas between her and the security and some police that were on hand ensued.
Hahaha yes I remember that little incident, the general level of obnoxiousness coming from her grew as the day passed and the amount alcohol consumption increased, amazingly I remember she was allowed back in. Cricket still far and away from favourite sporting atmosphere though.

Never really seen much trouble at Football myself, Brentford ‘hooligans’ tend to be of the pathetic 12 year child old variety.

Going to watch AFL reminded me very much of Football here, although there was less chanting, officials still get the same level of abuse ‘little yellow maggot’ was a favourite of mine.

Pothas

Also, anyone had any experience of going to a domestic T20 match?
Been to a couple, was pretty much the same experience for me as going to well atended 40 or 50 over game, similar crowd demographics and atmosphere. Might try and make it to finals day this year, I think we are hosting it and might have half a chance of making it this year.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Been to a couple, was pretty much the same experience for me as going to well atended 40 or 50 over game, similar crowd demographics and atmosphere. Might try and make it to finals day this year, I think we are hosting it and might have half a chance of making it this year.
What I meant was, game of cricket aside, what else do you get for your money?

Pothas

What I meant was, game of cricket aside, what else do you get for your money?
errrrr....I think there was some kind of fairground ride and loads more stands and stuff, was a few years ago though fairly near the start of Twenty20 though so there might be more on offer now.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Any particular reason why Dogs fans are prone to bouts of fisticuffs? Canterbury/Bankstown a rough area? Mind you, Cronulla sounds as bad judging by the reports of violence that're reported up here and Sharks fans don't have same rep.
Very tough question to answer. (although I'm surprised Burgey hasn't asserted that the fish rots from the head down) I think it's fair to say that racial tension (from both sides of the coin) plays a big part in it these days. Canterbury/Bankstown covers the predominantly arab areas of the city. That said, I've seen/heard of instances where it looks like a Bulldog fan simply went out of his way to provoke a fight, and at the Parra/Bulldogs semi last year they were being thrown out of the Bulldogs end for fighting amongst themselves.

Simon I think the parking facilities at CUA are complete garbage, and if you have an opposition bumper sticker, I wouldn't recommend parking at the southern end of the ground as half the stadium will be passing your car. Never seen too many problems with the supporters themselves though.

Craig

World Traveller
Hahaha yes I remember that little incident, the general level of obnoxiousness coming from her grew as the day passed and the amount alcohol consumption increased, amazingly I remember she was allowed back in. Cricket still far and away from favourite sporting atmosphere though.

Never really seen much trouble at Football myself, Brentford ‘hooligans’ tend to be of the pathetic 12 year child old variety.

Going to watch AFL reminded me very much of Football here, although there was less chanting, officials still get the same level of abuse ‘little yellow maggot’ was a favourite of mine.
IIRC you can kicked out of the ground for saying that, or least it is the case at the 'Gabba.

I went to see Inter play Roma at the San Siro a few years back, and at the subway stop, where the fans get off to go to the Stadium, there was a bus waiting outside (I think the police provided it) to get all the Roma fans on there to prevent any trouble. Inside the ground there was a Roma fan who was standing on the edge of a railing with somebody holding his legs (and it was quite a drop if he fell) and for the entire game he stood there with his back to the game and lead all the chants and singing. Even saw several flares that sounded like a bomb had gone off. Nothing like that here.

In the AFL games, you just fans booing an opposition player who used to play for their club and left (and the club still wanted to keep him) whenever he touches the ball (because in the AFL if a player leaves your club then he is worse then Hitler).

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
You don't get much violence at football now unless you look for it, from my experience. That said I sat among the home fans when we (Everton) played City away a couple of years ago, and me and my Dad couldn't let on we weren't supporting City at all. A couple of Everton fans in the same section couldn't restrain themselves we when scored and didn't last very long.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't get much violence at football now unless you look for it, from my experience. That said I sat among the home fans when we (Everton) played City away a couple of years ago, and me and my Dad couldn't let on we weren't supporting City at all. A couple of Everton fans in the same section couldn't restrain themselves we when scored and didn't last very long.
See I find that pretty incredible. I've sat among opposition supporters (even Bulldogs) and been fine. Had good natured banter, some serious discussion about the match and whatnot. Everyone was wearing team colors openly.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
See I find that pretty incredible. I've sat among opposition supporters (even Bulldogs) and been fine. Had good natured banter, some serious discussion about the match and whatnot. Everyone was wearing team colors openly.
Yeah, it's sad in a way, but it's always going to be like that. It's what you get when you cross a load of people, who are often quite frankly idiots, with alcohol, a crowd mentality and something that they can excuse violence with. Can't ever see a situation in the future where we won't have segregated crowds.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Unsegregated crowds would be horrific. When we played Liverpool at home in the Cup in 2001 our stands were filled with filthy tunnel rats who changed their white shirt to red for the day and sat in the home stands in their red shirts. Still feel sick about it now.