• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Messi vs Ronaldo

Who's the best?

• Total voters

Redbacks

International Captain
Went for Messi, his technique in tight spaces is the best in the world which I think makes him the most valuable playing currently in the world, otherwise there is very little to split them. Oh but Ronaldo is a **** who flopped at Euro.

Kaka back in the UCL should be a good thing to see this season too. He's a wisker behind these two currently.

irfan

State Captain
Messi, but only just. Messi is better in terms of changing direction at full speed (Ronaldo tends to run straight at defenders), goal assists (more of a team player than Ronaldo - although both have a tendency to showboat), big match performer (UCL Final, WC 06 over Ronaldo's Euros and CL finals) and`most of all, he's a far better dribbler than Ronaldo. Ronaldo may have a better header and free kick but for me Messi's exceptional ground ball skills make him the better player.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Great run yeah, but not better close control than Gourcuff's goal.

Gourcuff was Ligue 1 player of the year this season as well, Milan would be stupid not to bring him back from his loan.
Then consider them stupid, because Bordeaux have just signed him permanently from Milan for £14m.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Messi, but only just. Messi is better in terms of changing direction at full speed (Ronaldo tends to run straight at defenders), goal assists (more of a team player than Ronaldo - although both have a tendency to showboat), big match performer (UCL Final, WC 06 over Ronaldo's Euros and CL finals) and`most of all, he's a far better dribbler than Ronaldo. Ronaldo may have a better header and free kick but for me Messi's exceptional ground ball skills make him the better player.
Would agree with a lot of that, but not necessarily your "big match performer" examples. Messi was better in this year's CL final than Ronaldo, but then everyone in the Barca side was better than just about everyone in the United side. Ronaldo played well in last year's final and has been consistently good in the tournament - particularly in the knockout rounds - over the past two seasons.

I'd also disagree with the WC 06 example. Messi was a bit-part player for a lot of the tournament, and although he was impressive when involved and was clearly a young man of phenomenal talent, he wasn't as influential for Argentina as Ronaldo was for Portugal - Ronaldo's clash with Rooney and his general diving antics have in retrospect overshadowed the fact that he had an impressive tournament. He was also outstanding at Euro 2004.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ronaldo, both on par technically. But Ronaldo is stronger, a weakness in Messi's game that has been regularly exposed in CL games againts English sides.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
'cept when it mattered the most, clue - CL Final
I thought it was clear Ronaldo was one of the few shining lights on the night for United. Messi although he scored a goal, was relatively kept quiet throughout the game...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought it was clear Ronaldo was one of the few shining lights on the night for United. Messi although he scored a goal, was relatively kept quiet throughout the game...
Hmmm, clear to you, fairly anonymous to me, tbh. The Messi description for the match is identical to my thought's of Cristiano in last years final.

I tend to think that Messi is generally better in big matches and tournaments.

Smith

Banned
Nope, did you actually watch the match?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, clear to you, fairly anonymous to me, tbh. The Messi description for the match is identical to my thought's of Cristiano in last years final.

I tend to think that Messi is generally better in big matches and tournaments
Not really you kniw Ronaldo was excellent in EURO 04, WC 06 & was having a pretty good tournament in EURO 08 until Portugal where knocked out.

Last year in the CL final he was brillaint for 90 minutes, almost costed United with the missed penalty. While this year he worked hardd for 90 minutes, the mid-field just failed to supply with the regular good stuff..

Messi starred in youth tournaments, was going ok in WC06 for Argentina, was annoymous in the Copa America final because again he was muscled out.

Smith Nope, did you actually watch the match?]
Yep. Messi was well covered, he had one blast over the bar & scored that goal which Rio & Vidic 8 times out of 10 would back themselves to clear.

It was Xavi, Iniesta n Eto'o who where dictating the play

Smith

Banned
Not really you kniw Ronaldo was excellent in EURO 04, WC 06 & was having a pretty good tournament in EURO 08 until Portugal where knocked out.

Last year in the CL final he was brillaint for 90 minutes, almost costed United with the missed penalty. While this year he worked hardd for 90 minutes, the mid-field just failed to supply with the regular good stuff..

Messi starred in youth tournaments, was going ok in WC06 for Argentina, was annoymous in the Copa America final because again he was muscled out.

Yep. Messi was well covered, he had one blast over the bar & scored that goal which Rio & Vidic 8 times out of 10 would back themselves to clear.

It was Xavi, Iniesta n Eto'o who where dictating the play
Ok. But what did Cronaldo do? He went no holds barred in the first 10 minutes and looked AWOL for the rest.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I tend to think that Messi is generally better in big matches and tournaments.
Messi did see far, far more of the ball due to Barca absolutely dominating though.

I'd go for Ronaldo, although Messi's infinitely more likeable. He's a bit more capable of carrying an attack I'd say. Or at least, we know he can, whereas we're not sure whether Messi can because he's never had to. I think he'd probably fit into more systems than Messi too.

The whole "doesn't perform in big games" crap is such bollocks too. Anyone who ever has a bad game in a match against a decent side immediately has it thrown at them, with the fact that Ronaldo scored crucial goals in the first knockout stage second leg, quarter final second leg and semi final second leg somehow conveniently forgotten. It's bollocks when they spout it about Messi, and it's bollocks when they spout it about Ronaldo.