18 69.23%
  • Christiano Ronaldo

6 23.08%
  • Theirry Henry

2 7.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Messi vs Ronaldo

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    I thought it was clear Ronaldo was one of the few shining lights on the night for United. Messi although he scored a goal, was relatively kept quiet throughout the game...
    Hmmm, clear to you, fairly anonymous to me, tbh. The Messi description for the match is identical to my thought's of Cristiano in last years final.

I tend to think that Messi is generally better in big matches and tournaments.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Banned
    I thought it was clear Ronaldo was one of the few shining lights on the night for United. Messi although he scored a goal, was relatively kept quiet throughout the game...
    Nope, did you actually watch the match?

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Hmmm, clear to you, fairly anonymous to me, tbh. The Messi description for the match is identical to my thought's of Cristiano in last years final.

I tend to think that Messi is generally better in big matches and tournaments
    Not really you kniw Ronaldo was excellent in EURO 04, WC 06 & was having a pretty good tournament in EURO 08 until Portugal where knocked out.

Last year in the CL final he was brillaint for 90 minutes, almost costed United with the missed penalty. While this year he worked hardd for 90 minutes, the mid-field just failed to supply with the regular good stuff..

Messi starred in youth tournaments, was going ok in WC06 for Argentina, was annoymous in the Copa America final because again he was muscled out.

Smith Nope, did you actually watch the match?]
    Yep. Messi was well covered, he had one blast over the bar & scored that goal which Rio & Vidic 8 times out of 10 would back themselves to clear.

It was Xavi, Iniesta n Eto'o who where dictating the play

Banned
    Not really you kniw Ronaldo was excellent in EURO 04, WC 06 & was having a pretty good tournament in EURO 08 until Portugal where knocked out.

Last year in the CL final he was brillaint for 90 minutes, almost costed United with the missed penalty. While this year he worked hardd for 90 minutes, the mid-field just failed to supply with the regular good stuff..

Messi starred in youth tournaments, was going ok in WC06 for Argentina, was annoymous in the Copa America final because again he was muscled out.

Yep. Messi was well covered, he had one blast over the bar & scored that goal which Rio & Vidic 8 times out of 10 would back themselves to clear.

It was Xavi, Iniesta n Eto'o who where dictating the play
    Ok. But what did Cronaldo do? He went no holds barred in the first 10 minutes and looked AWOL for the rest.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

I tend to think that Messi is generally better in big matches and tournaments.
    Messi did see far, far more of the ball due to Barca absolutely dominating though.

I'd go for Ronaldo, although Messi's infinitely more likeable. He's a bit more capable of carrying an attack I'd say. Or at least, we know he can, whereas we're not sure whether Messi can because he's never had to. I think he'd probably fit into more systems than Messi too.

The whole "doesn't perform in big games" crap is such bollocks too. Anyone who ever has a bad game in a match against a decent side immediately has it thrown at them, with the fact that Ronaldo scored crucial goals in the first knockout stage second leg, quarter final second leg and semi final second leg somehow conveniently forgotten. It's bollocks when they spout it about Messi, and it's bollocks when they spout it about Ronaldo.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

To be honest, I guess it's all down to interpretation, as I thought he was poor in E06, WC08. Haven't watched much of it, but I'm guessing he's not been brilliant in qualification for Portugal. In CL certainly wasn't close to brilliant last year in the final, average with a nice header. Was largely a peripheral figure in this years match.

Performances against the other teams in the big-four is also often down on when he slaughters the likes of West Brom, Hull or Totenham.....

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Ronaldo. He's the better overall player I think. Better in the air, with the dead ball( penalties and freekicks), faster and more strength. Better at running with the ball. Messi has a slight edge in aesthetics and his kind of dribbling is better. Ronaldo can't do that because of his frame compared to Messi so uses speed more with his dribbling to go past players while Messi uses ball control.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

International Coach
    Ronaldo is a more rounded player and can do more things well, Messi is far better at what he can do though.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Ronaldo, both on par technically. But Ronaldo is stronger, a weakness in Messi's game that has been regularly exposed in CL games againts English sides.
    Eh?

Terry tried to muscle Messi off the ball and ended up on his arse.

Messi needs to be strong, quite a few teams have attempted to follow Real Madrid's pioneering tactic, called "kick the **** out of Messi when he gets the ball."

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Fantastic goal, but Messi has had so many random moments when I've seen La Liga this season where he just looks like the ball is glued to his foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Messi did see far, far more of the ball due to Barca absolutely dominating though.

I'd go for Ronaldo, although Messi's infinitely more likeable. He's a bit more capable of carrying an attack I'd say. Or at least, we know he can, whereas we're not sure whether Messi can because he's never had to. I think he'd probably fit into more systems than Messi too.

The whole "doesn't perform in big games" crap is such bollocks too. Anyone who ever has a bad game in a match against a decent side immediately has it thrown at them, with the fact that Ronaldo scored crucial goals in the first knockout stage second leg, quarter final second leg and semi final second leg somehow conveniently forgotten. It's bollocks when they spout it about Messi, and it's bollocks when they spout it about Ronaldo.
    AWTA. Ronaldo is probably better in carrying an attack on his own, but in any side with half a decent midfield - Messi can be far more damaging due to his sheer variety of dribbling sorties.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    When's Ronaldo ever had to?

It's not like he's been lining up alongside dross for Man Utd.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Eh?

Terry tried to muscle Messi off the ball and ended up on his arse.

Messi needs to be strong, quite a few teams have attempted to follow Real Madrid's pioneering tactic, called "kick the **** out of Messi when he gets the ball."
    Am lets not forget Messi goal againts United was the first in 11 games againts English sides. Plus the same thing happened vs Brazil in Copa America. So the tactic does work.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Ronaldinho as well.

Gourcuff is a funny case. Was AWOL @ Milan an almost immediately going back to France has stepped up, he also hasn't really up on the international stage - but i guess France having an average coach hasn't helped.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Reckon they are very hard to seperate TBH. I do find Messi to be slightly overated though. Guess I might as well admit to being biased when I voted for Ronaldo. I do find him to be a ****, though I love the way he can inspire such hatred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information