• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW Cup: battle of the association football teams

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
First one's difficult: H&W clearly isn't a real team so really has no right to be here - but Citeh losing is very, very funny. Mainly so I could wind up the limited Citeh fan population of school (one). Harland and Woolf.

Also, Doncaster, partially because they beat Dirty Leeds at Wembley to keep them in the third tier - and partially cause they're not Arsenal.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harland and Wolff

Arsenal - I know one is supposed to vote for the small side but no true football fan does not admire the way Arsenal play football.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arsenal - I know one is supposed to vote for the small side but no true football fan does not admire the way Arsenal play football.
I preferred the way that Arsenal played under George Graham than they do under Wenger. They seem very petulant these days...

Pothas, eh. I've heard a fair bit about this poster, but not seen him before this point... Anything to do with sledger's recent banning that you've made a comeback?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Voting Citeh, I love Smitteh and I love the Gallagher brothers

Voting Arsenal, I've never much liked Doncaster (bunch of fight-talking wankers for fans) and the 97-98 Arsenal side is one of my favourite non-Tranmere teams that I've ever watched. I loved Overmars, Bergkamp, Petit, basically all of them aside from Nelson Vivas.

Indipper

State Regular
Man City - for Law heeling Man Utd to Div 2 and Trautmann, who was considered a traitor at home more or less.
Arsenal - Dennis Bergkamp, nuff said.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Man City - for Law heeling Man Utd to Div 2 and Trautmann, who was considered a traitor at home more or less.
Is that right? Genuinely had no idea. He's still synonymous with courage in the face of adversity over here, especially when compared to today's milksops. As in "If Bert Trautmann can play an FA Cup final with a broken neck, you can get up after that love-tap, you steaming great poof!" Or words to that effect...

Indipper

State Regular
Is that right? Genuinely had no idea. He's still synonymous with courage in the face of adversity over here, especially when compared to today's milksops. As in "If Bert Trautmann can play an FA Cup final with a broken neck, you can get up after that love-tap, you steaming great poof!" Or words to that effect...
Yeah Germans had funny ideas about professionalism and playing abroad. Players who went abroad to earn their livelihood were called mercenaries or legionaires. Playing abroad was as bad as serving in a foreign army, you see. Total disgrace, high treason. Cause there's no greater honour for the Teutonic man than to play for some village club all his life, win a few caps, then settle down as a tobacconist and die a penniless alcoholic. This sentiment still echos today when German clubs face English/Italian/Spanish ones in the European Cup.

Also, for a while Toni Turek was considered untouchable cause he saved some good ones in Switzerland.

Last edited: