Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20/20 Rugby League?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar

20/20 Rugby League?

Having read Wright's sensational thread, I've thought on the issue of reduced length formats a bit and come up with a related idea.

20/20 Rugby League

For those like myself who find the world's second slowest football code rather dull, I thought we could spice up the matches a bit with an abbreviated format. Instead of 80 minutes of end to end tackling and such, just have a group of players from each team headbutt each other in the face twenty consecutive times. Afterwards, whoever among those left standing can read a line from Great Expectations with the smallest amount of slurring and drooling is declared the winner.

Thoughts?
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

would be interested if each match was on a 1 v 1 basis.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Like Rugby Union, there have been plenty of 7's tournaments played in the past and it worked. I know you are only trying to gee up but the format in a way can be a success.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Isn't "9s" the shortened league format of choice?

Actually, 7s in union is made for league players. When the technical aspects of union are minimalised the league boys generally take union players apart. Wigan won the Middlesex 7s a few years back with a team made of players who'd never played union, ever.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    20/20 AFL IMO, now that would be a game to watch. Well maybe not. Maybe if Barry Hall punched some guy out every five minutes.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I think the idea has excellent merit and I think this idea of head-butting should be used instead of the scrum.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    20/20 AFL IMO, now that would be a game to watch. Well maybe not. Maybe if Barry Hall punched some guy out every five minutes.
    Post ideas here.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Having read Wright's sensational thread, I've thought on the issue of reduced length formats a bit and come up with a related idea.

20/20 Rugby League

For those like myself who find the world's second slowest football code rather dull, I thought we could spice up the matches a bit with an abbreviated format. Instead of 80 minutes of end to end tackling and such, just have a group of players from each team headbutt each other in the face twenty consecutive times. Afterwards, whoever among those left standing can read a line from Great Expectations with the smallest amount of slurring and drooling is declared the winner.

Thoughts?
    What's the slowest? AFL?

Are you kidding? I was a leaguey born and bred, but AFL is at it's finest because of the pace. Just because you don't understand what's going on doesn't mean it's slow.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Are you kidding? I was a leaguey born and bred, but AFL is at it's finest because of the pace. Just because you don't understand what's going on doesn't mean it's slow.
    Beg to differ. If you don't understand it you can find it slow.

Personally can't find how people find RL slow (unless watching a Sharks game).

No chance that AFL on average, is a slower game than league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Pace isn't AFL problem. It is the fact that nothing happens in the game. You could watch like 20 minutes and points are being scored but nothing ever happens. It a bit like B-ball, points being scored all the time, but nothing actually happens.

What are you actually expecting to happen? Need someone to spontaneously burst into flames?
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    What are you actually expecting to happen? Need someone to spontaneously burst into flames?
    Some Goodes or O'Loughlin class. Unfortunely most sides don't have players of that quality. But with the nature of the way AFL going, basically just looking for any talented athelete who is tall and strong there is less and less players like this coming through. The game has become pretty boring. Was a lot better back in the early 90s, when players with actual talent where dominating the games, rather then just size and strength.

Might sound weird coming from Rugby fans. But AFL never going to be as aggressive as Union or League. So really needs more talented players rather then just guys that fit the bill. A bit like the way Womens' tennis is going. You need the size and strength to be competitive. But it is the class that made it good watch not strength.

You watch AFL for the Goodes' and O'Loughlin's and Union for the Sonny Bill Williams.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information