• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 Rugby League?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Having read Wright's sensational thread, I've thought on the issue of reduced length formats a bit and come up with a related idea.

20/20 Rugby League

For those like myself who find the world's second slowest football code rather dull, I thought we could spice up the matches a bit with an abbreviated format. Instead of 80 minutes of end to end tackling and such, just have a group of players from each team headbutt each other in the face twenty consecutive times. Afterwards, whoever among those left standing can read a line from Great Expectations with the smallest amount of slurring and drooling is declared the winner.

Thoughts?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Like Rugby Union, there have been plenty of 7's tournaments played in the past and it worked. I know you are only trying to gee up but the format in a way can be a success.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Isn't "9s" the shortened league format of choice?

Actually, 7s in union is made for league players. When the technical aspects of union are minimalised the league boys generally take union players apart. Wigan won the Middlesex 7s a few years back with a team made of players who'd never played union, ever.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
20/20 AFL IMO, now that would be a game to watch. Well maybe not. Maybe if Barry Hall punched some guy out every five minutes.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the idea has excellent merit and I think this idea of head-butting should be used instead of the scrum.

Mister Wright

Having read Wright's sensational thread, I've thought on the issue of reduced length formats a bit and come up with a related idea.

20/20 Rugby League

For those like myself who find the world's second slowest football code rather dull, I thought we could spice up the matches a bit with an abbreviated format. Instead of 80 minutes of end to end tackling and such, just have a group of players from each team headbutt each other in the face twenty consecutive times. Afterwards, whoever among those left standing can read a line from Great Expectations with the smallest amount of slurring and drooling is declared the winner.

Thoughts?
What's the slowest? AFL?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Are you kidding? I was a leaguey born and bred, but AFL is at it's finest because of the pace. Just because you don't understand what's going on doesn't mean it's slow.

Mister Wright

Are you kidding? I was a leaguey born and bred, but AFL is at it's finest because of the pace. Just because you don't understand what's going on doesn't mean it's slow.
Beg to differ. If you don't understand it you can find it slow.

Personally can't find how people find RL slow (unless watching a Sharks game).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pace isn't AFL problem. It is the fact that nothing happens in the game. You could watch like 20 minutes and points are being scored but nothing ever happens. It a bit like B-ball, points being scored all the time, but nothing actually happens.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
What are you actually expecting to happen? Need someone to spontaneously burst into flames?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What are you actually expecting to happen? Need someone to spontaneously burst into flames?
Some Goodes or O'Loughlin class. Unfortunely most sides don't have players of that quality. But with the nature of the way AFL going, basically just looking for any talented athelete who is tall and strong there is less and less players like this coming through. The game has become pretty boring. Was a lot better back in the early 90s, when players with actual talent where dominating the games, rather then just size and strength.

Might sound weird coming from Rugby fans. But AFL never going to be as aggressive as Union or League. So really needs more talented players rather then just guys that fit the bill. A bit like the way Womens' tennis is going. You need the size and strength to be competitive. But it is the class that made it good watch not strength.

You watch AFL for the Goodes' and O'Loughlin's and Union for the Sonny Bill Williams.

Johnners

:laugh:

I do find it rather ironic Tharmi that you're using Goodes as an example of someone with skill, when his biggest attributes in the midfield are his size, strength and speed...

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS

20/20 Rugby League

Thoughts?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Some Goodes or O'Loughlin class. Unfortunely most sides don't have players of that quality. But with the nature of the way AFL going, basically just looking for any talented athelete who is tall and strong there is less and less players like this coming through. The game has become pretty boring. Was a lot better back in the early 90s, when players with actual talent where dominating the games, rather then just size and strength.

Might sound weird coming from Rugby fans. But AFL never going to be as aggressive as Union or League. So really needs more talented players rather then just guys that fit the bill. A bit like the way Womens' tennis is going. You need the size and strength to be competitive. But it is the class that made it good watch not strength.

You watch AFL for the Goodes' and O'Loughlin's and Union for the Sonny Bill Williams.
O'Loughline is your barometer of AFL class? :sleep:

Take a look at Luke Hodge last week mate.

Believe it or now, its not all just about NSW.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
O'Loughline is your barometer of AFL class? :sleep:

Take a look at Luke Hodge last week mate.

Believe it or now, its not all just about NSW.
There are others that are better them my Swans boys. But the point still stands that AFL has continual got more boring to watch, due to lack of players like Hodge coming through.

If you guys ever take off your one-eyed AFL glasses you will see it as well.