• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2007-08

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Twaddle of the highest order. No concrete facts have been giving about any of the clubs. Also one of the allegations involve the impropriety of dealings with Allardyce and his son. Of course Sir Fergie could never be accused of such.8-)
I'm not particularly aware whether there is concrete proof or not, I had heard that certain clubs (thinking Chelsea particularly here, I think the transfers were Drogba, Essien and someone else) had been named. Sorry if it isn't definite.

My main point was that Chelsea are supposedly on a last warning before a points deduction from some dodgy dealing a few years ago. Even if this does become definite, nothing will happen.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not particularly aware whether there is concrete proof or not, I had heard that certain clubs (thinking Chelsea particularly here, I think the transfers were Drogba, Essien and someone else) had been named. Sorry if it isn't definite.

My main point was that Chelsea are supposedly on a last warning before a points deduction from some dodgy dealing a few years ago. Even if this does become definite, nothing will happen.
Okay, then, if that's the case. Justify when Manure have been punished, as you hinted at before ("unless united are involved", I think were your comments), because I'm not aware of that, tbh. It will be nice if you can inform me thanks:)

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Okay, then, if that's the case. Justify when Manure have been punished, as you hinted at before ("unless united are involved", I think were your comments), because I'm not aware of that, tbh. It will be nice if you can inform me thanks:)
Don't have a link to back up Chelsea being on a last warning but someone mentioned it on a United forum and it rings a bell, I think it might have been the tapping up bit with Ashley Cole? EDIT: Yes, according to another United forumer that's what it's all about.

Upon closer inspection there isn't actually any hard evidence, so in effet you are correct and I should have actually checked up upon the news. The bit about United is just a general point - and isn't solely to do with the FA, for example the United-Lille fiasco with UEFA last year where, Lille were given a joke of a punishment, you can bet if that had been an English club we'd have been disqualified from that year's competition at the very least same with Roma. In that sense it's more to do with English clubs in Europe being hard done by, isn't very relevant and I shouldn't have said that either. :)

grecian

Don't have a link to back up Chelsea being on a last warning but someone mentioned it on a United forum and it rings a bell, I think it might have been the tapping up bit with Ashley Cole? EDIT: Yes, according to another United forumer that's what it's all about.

Upon closer inspection there isn't actually any hard evidence, so in effet you are correct and I should have actually checked up upon the news. The bit about United is just a general point - and isn't solely to do with the FA, for example the United-Lille fiasco with UEFA last year where, Lille were given a joke of a punishment, you can bet if that had been an English club we'd have been disqualified from that year's competition at the very least same with Roma. In that sense it's more to do with English clubs in Europe being hard done by, isn't very relevant and I shouldn't have said that either. :)
Fair enough, just wish United fans would stop this "victimised" thing, its a tad irritating, when there's little proof for them being unfairly ruled for, and a fair bit against, tbh.

Craig

World Traveller
Wigan have picked up old mate Mario Melchiot on a free :ph34r:

And Fiorentina are said to be tracking Newcastle's Steven Taylor. The last Englishman to play in Italy was Jay Bothroyd with Perugia, whatever happened to him?

Last edited:

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
My Predictions

Premiership - Chelsea.
Remaining Champions League places - Liverpool/Man Utd/Aresnal
UEFA Cup places - Spurs/Newcastle/Portsmouth
Relagated - Derby, Bolton, Fulham

Champions League - A Spanish team

UEFA Cup - Spurs

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Wigan have picked up old mate Mario Melchiot on a free :ph34r:

And Fiorentina are said to be tracking Newcastle's Steven Taylor. The last Englishman to play in Italy was Jay Bothroyd with Perugia, whatever happened to him?
Think he's in the Championship.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
go the mighty liverpool...

i think barcelona will be strong in champions league

will be interested to see how juventus go this season.

gio

U19 Cricketer
- Premiership - Man Utd ----- I think they have that confidence back again, and the signings of Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson will only improve their squad. It will be a very close run thing with Chelsea though. I fear Chelsea's problem is the dressing room. A lot of disharmony still there.

- Uefa Cup - Villa, Spurs, Everton ---- I think Villa will have a good season next year. Ashley Young looked good the other night for the U21's, and he could be vital to their success. They've also been linked with some good quality players in the close season. I've chosen Everton over the likes of Newcastle etc. as I believe David Moyes to be the best manager outside of the top 4.

- Relegated - Wigan, Fulham, Birmingham ---- I really respect Billy Davies as a manager and I think he'll keep Derby up. I'm surprised most people haven't mentioned Wigan to be relegated... they've a got a rookie manager in charge, they've got a squad that only just missed out on relegation last season, and finally they've signed Titus Bramble. 'nuff said! As for the other two, I just think Fulham's time is up, and Blues squad stinks of Championship level players.

- and for the most important title in England... Peterborough are a shoe in for League Two.

- I'd like to see Rangers make a challenge for the SPL this season. We've been linked with some decent players this transfer window, and if a few of them come off, then we could make the SPL title race last the distance. Alan Gow looked very good against LA Galaxy and I reckon he could be a very good signing. If we can tie up Andy Webster, Carlos Cuellar, DaMarcus Beasely and Robbie Fowler, then I reckon the squad will be up to it. Plus, Walter Smith is a far better manager than ginger nut Gordon Strachan.

- Finally, I'm going to back Holland for Euro 2008. Bit of a long shot, but considering most of the other big nations are pretty awful at the moment, I'll go with my heart.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bayern Munich for the Champions' League, imo.
Sriram: knows his German football tables.

Premiership - Chelsea.
Remaining Champions League places - Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool
UEFA Cup places - Portsmouth, Tottenham, Aston Villa
Relagated - Derby, Fulham, Wigan

Champions League - Inter (all German teams to be knocked out before second stage)

UEFA Cup - Schalke 04

Matteh

Impressive stadium though. Definatly money well spent IMO on doing up all the stadiums.
One of the benefits of getting the WC i guess. I've seen Mainz play a game back when they were in the 2.Bundesliga, but they got relegated this season back to there, so they're not jibe-free.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
One of the benefits of getting the WC i guess. I've seen Mainz play a game back when they were in the 2.Bundesliga, but they got relegated this season back to there, so they're not jibe-free.
Might end up seeing VfB Stuttgart play as I'm virtually spending the last of my trip there (World Road Race Championships are being held there), if not I might try and see either Bayern, Schalke, Dortmund or Hamburg play if I'm in the area.

Gudjohnsen talks up Man United link

Last edited: