• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Conor's talking **** :laugh:

He keeps saying he thinks it was close and he had him early etc but that was so obviously the plan from Mayweather.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Conor's talking **** :laugh:

He keeps saying he thinks it was close and he had him early etc but that was so obviously the plan from Mayweather.
Yeah.

Also the reason he didn't actually get knocked down was because he was falling all over the ring like a ragdoll for the previous two rounds. If he'd actually been standing on solid legs he would've felt the full impact of the punches.

It's why there's

King Pietersen

International Captain
Landed at a better percentage than Canelo and De La Hoya managed against Floyd. He did a hell of a lot better than anyone was expecting. I certainly didn't think he'd win, and I was impressed. He hung with the best boxer of his generation and landed some good shots. Plenty of people were saying he wouldn't even lay a glove on Floyd, he did plenty more than that.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
In real fight news, it looks like Stiverne has stepped aside and Wilder vs Ortiz is set to happen in November.

I think Ortiz is a bit overhyped. He has good skills and power but he's too old and is really slow, and Wilder's extra height and reach and athleticism should make this a KO victory.

cnerd123

likes this
Fun fight. So much negativity around it and I don't understand why. McGregor went in, stuck to boxing rules, did a great job, came short in ways you can't really blame him for (he's built himself to be one of the best in the world to fight MMA and that's 5*5, ofcourse he's not going to have the gas tank for 12*3), and to his credit he didn't get finished. He's shown against Diaz that he does get a second wind closer to the end of the fight, he claims he got that second wind when training for 12 rounds, and he felt he would have got that here too, but in the end it's a fair stoppage. What's the point of letting him fight on beyond that point - there is no title or even a career on stake here. It's essentially a glorified exhibition match. Might as well call it early.

I think he won 4-5 rounds. But I understand why boxing judges are going to give the boxer the nod when the round is close. I think I inherently just don't give much weight to defensive skills like cowering up because I think boxing is supposed to be a fight, and in some ways so much of what boxing is isn't actually fighting. It's a sport more than a fight. It takes a different set of eyes to judge it well.

But yea it was a good fight. The circus was fun. Who would have thought a 0-0 pro boxer could put on such a good showing against a (albeit slightly past his prime) Floyd Mayweather. We all hoped for the miracle, we hoped for the incredible, but Conor decided he was going to fight in a slightly different way and do his best to put on a good fight.

And that's what he did. He lead when he could, and he did a pretty good job handling a pressuring Floyd. He did a few things technically that I look forward to reading/hearing the experts break down. He did a pretty good job all considering and I'm sure he comes out of this a better fighter.

All in all good fun. Can't wait to see him back in MMA.

Boxing could definitely use a lot of work promotion wise. Showtime was awful and the boxing style press conferences were not designed for entertainment, but designed for these rich guys in suits to pat each other on the back. Plus having all the legal streams crash for the biggest fight ever? Pfffft.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It was fun but it wasn't a good fight. This idea that McGregor did better than ODH or Canelo or Pacquiao is ridiculous. Those guys all actually had Floyd uncomfortable at times and actually had the ability and punching power to knock him out. McGregor clearly has neither the skills, the desire nor the actual punching power necessary to knock out even 40 year old Mayweather who's been out two years.

Floyd wasn't even bothering with proper footwork, didn't really worry about defense and barely threw a punch the first 2 rounds (although tbf he's usually a slow starter). It was glorified sparring for him and he didn't even bother with any defense once he felt that McGregor doesn't really have any punching power. He was carrying him for the last 6 rounds, and to be honest, McGregor pretty much gave up trying to win the fight and was falling over himself rather than pushing forward in an attempt to actually hit Floyd. Floyd could've ended that fight any time after round 4.

cnerd123

likes this
Conor wasn't punching with any real force right from the outset tho. He has power in long, rangey strikes. He has never had power in the pocket. And he didn't really even throw many hard shots all fight. He landed only a couple of decent punches from range before Mayweather started walking forward and staying close. He legit was just pitter-pattering Floyd for most of the fight. Looked like he was waiting of openings or actually working to win rounds, and not actually trying to cause damage because he didn't want to get countered.

Don't think Floyd could have ended the fight any moment after round 4. If he could have he would have. He had no reason to drag it out till round 10. It went that long because it had to take that long. Also it seemed pretty clear Floyd walking forward was because he found a range McGregor was uncomfortable in. He was losing at range. He wasn't taking damage, but he was getting touched more than he could touch. So he walked forward, got into the pocket, got more aggressive, and ate a few soft counters from Conor in exchange for landing his own hard shots.

Think McG did a really good job.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe you should've watched some of the fights on the undercard to know what actual punching looks like. They were mostly pretty mediocre fights but at least they involved some degree of intent.

cnerd123

likes this
I did watch them. I've seen Connor in MMA too. What he was doing today was not punching nearly as hard as he is capable of. He was tapping Mayweather all fight. Can't tell you why but my guess is energy conservation + looking to win those early rounds through activity. And then Mayweather was in the pocket and McG has never packed power in there. His hardest shots come from long range and usually overextending. He didn't do that here.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What he was doing today was not punching nearly as hard as he is capable of. He was tapping Mayweather all fight. Can't tell you why
I would say it's because:
- Basic defensive head and body movement means he couldn't load up on punches to hit a moving target
- He's not fit enough for boxing
- He doesn't have good enough footwork to plant his feet and hit a moving target. Hence why he was throwing "arm" punches.
- He doesn't know how to punch in an efficient manner that conserves his energy
- He's probably just not that hard of a puncher

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This is such a gun year for boxing....so many good fights happened this year, with plenty still to come:
- Canelo-GGG
- Cruiserweight tourney
- Wilder-Ortiz
- Joshua - Pulev?
- Parker-Fury

Plus a few more to be made

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
I didn't watch the Sky broadcast (fortunately, couldn't bare to listen to that **** Froch) but glad to see my man Dan Hardy getting some positive reviews. He's going to become one of the great combat sports commentators and analysts, he's got a superb brain for the fight game. Also, quote of the night went to Dan too:

Johnnie Nelson to Dan Hardy: "Does this mean we are better than you now?"
Dan Hardy: "Let me kick you in the leg first and then let's see"

cnerd123

likes this
I would say it's because:
- Basic defensive head and body movement means he couldn't load up on punches to hit a moving target
- He's not fit enough for boxing
- He doesn't have good enough footwork to plant his feet and hit a moving target. Hence why he was throwing "arm" punches.
- He doesn't know how to punch in an efficient manner that conserves his energy
- He's probably just not that hard of a puncher
Well obviously he isn't fit for boxing. He's built his body to be optimal for 5*5 of MMA, and even then he's not the best at lasting 5 rounds at 100%. He wasn't going to be fit for 12*3 in what, 6 weeks?

The rest I disagree with. He fought in an awkward style because there is no point boxing technically with the greatest boxer of all time. We have no idea what he looks like trying to box in a 'correct' manner because he didn't attempt that. He tried to be awkward and weird, and that will lead to putting your feet in weird places and throwing punches with sub-optimal technique.

He just didn't try to hit hard. It doesn't me he can't. He's shown he can in MMA.

Last edited: