• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

King Pietersen

International Captain
Ballooning by three and half stone between fights probably didn't help his cause tho.
That's a stupid amount of weight to put on between fights, basically 50lbs. I thought Anthony Johnson, the UFC fighter was mad for cutting between 30 and 35lbs to get down to Welterweight for each fight, but a guy like Hatton putting on 50lbs between fights is just ridiculous, his kidney's must be majorly screwed.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Manny now looking like a proper tool for backing out of Mayweather fight due to problems with testing procedures

Whether he is clean or not, it doesnt look good when the very next opponent (who is arguably a better fighter and has also been subject to rumours) is willing to submit to the very same tests

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Aye. Mosley of 5 years ago would've been a good match, but now...

Still love to see him shock Mayweather, but would be some turn up.

social

TBH, the whole "Mosley is over the hill" thing is well overdone as the guy is undoubtedly still one of the best 15 fighters in the world (and top 3 at this weight) and undoubtedly a much tougher opponent than someone like Joshua Clottey who Pac fought

This will be a tough fight for Mayweather but I expect him to win a decision as, until proven otherwise, he's the best IMO

social

Aside from a brief spell in the second round, this was pretty much a clinic from Mayweather

Manny better stay away from him unless he wants a huge pay day in return for a beating

thierry henry

International Coach
How do you reckon Floyd would go against Paul Williams? A massive size mismatch obviously, but Floyd is the welterweight champ so if Williams can make welterweight then fair's fair. Obviously P4P Williams isn't in Mayweather's class (or Pacquiao's, or Mosley's) but he'd be a challenge the likes of which Floyd hasn't faced before. Williams is listed 6'1" but looks more like 6'3" in comparison to the listed heights of other fighters.

Of course it'll never happen....but in a way I think it'd almost be more of a challenge for Floyd than Pacquiao.

social

How do you reckon Floyd would go against Paul Williams? A massive size mismatch obviously, but Floyd is the welterweight champ so if Williams can make welterweight then fair's fair. Obviously P4P Williams isn't in Mayweather's class (or Pacquiao's, or Mosley's) but he'd be a challenge the likes of which Floyd hasn't faced before. Williams is listed 6'1" but looks more like 6'3" in comparison to the listed heights of other fighters.

Of course it'll never happen....but in a way I think it'd almost be more of a challenge for Floyd than Pacquiao.[/QUOT

Certainly brings something "different"

I was very impressed with Williams until his last couple of outings and now tend to think that Floyd would probably bust him up to the weight-drained midsection if PW could get down to 147 again

Whilst boxing is a funny game and people tend to get "old" very quickly, Floyd appears to have the advantage over someone like RJJ in that he is technically brilliant and doesnt rely totally on speed

That being the case, I dont see anyone from his weight "range" beating him whilst he continues to fight at his current level unless it's by virtue of one or 2 great shots - he simply doesnt get hit enough to lose a decision

thierry henry

International Coach
Any interest from our British contingent in Amir Khan?

I know Paulie Malignaggi is a feather-fisted showboater, but he has good speed and decent skills and Khan just totally demolished him. tbh I was pretty surprised that Khan could repeatedly beat a boxer known for his quick hands to the punch like that. Probably worth pointing out by way of comparison that Malignaggi gave a world class guy like Cotto a really good fight and yet Khan demolished him.

Jarquis

I remember watching Malignaggi against N'Dou where he had to have his haircut between rounds. Idiot.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Aamir made a succesfull defense the more i watch him the more I am convinced he will never be in Mayweather/Pacquio league.On a side note his younger brother Haroon has said he wants to represent Pakistan and not UK in the Olympics, is he a medal hope?

social

Aamir made a succesfull defense the more i watch him the more I am convinced he will never be in Mayweather/Pacquio league.On a side note his younger brother Haroon has said he wants to represent Pakistan and not UK in the Olympics, is he a medal hope?
Aamir has faced one "puncher" (and an incredibly raw one at that) in his entire career and was flattened in 30 seconds

Pacquiao would probably do the same to him in a couple of rounds whilst Mayweather would simply toy with him for long enough to justify whatever outrageous fee he was paid for doing so

As for his brother, who knows?

Boxing is an incredibly cruel sport

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
No, thats the reason he wants to represent Pakistan.

“I really wanted to box for Britain at the Olympics ever since Amir won silver in Athens. I looked at what he did and dreamed of going one better
“But I’ve never had a look-in with the senior England squad, not even a letter. What used to happen was they would call me up a week before an international and ask if I could box, but I knew it was only because someone had pulled out and they never really wanted me,” Haroon said.
“I’d have liked to have fought for Britain at the 2012 Olympics, but that isn’t going to happen. I’ve spoken to a lot of English boxers and they said if they were me, they would go for it.
“When I went over to Pakistan, they were offering me a house and a car and a driver, if I wanted to stay there
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...o-box-for-Pakistan-at-Commonwealth-Games.html
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...k-but-heart-still-with-britain_100362925.html

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Aamir has faced one "puncher" (and an incredibly raw one at that) in his entire career and was flattened in 30 seconds
Yeah but...it happens. Pacquiao got knocked out by some random unknown Filipino. How much can you read in to a 30 second fight?
I don't think anyone's expecting Khan to be as good as Pac or Mayweather anyway. He's a decade younger than them for starters, who's going to be better than him when they go?

social

Yeah but...it happens. Pacquiao got knocked out by some random unknown Filipino. How much can you read in to a 30 second fight?
I don't think anyone's expecting Khan to be as good as Pac or Mayweather anyway. He's a decade younger than them for starters, who's going to be better than him when they go?
The worrying thing about Khan is that he was sat on his backside 6 times by various journeymen before being KO'd by Prescott - the guy was a disaster waiting to happen

I have no doubt that his technique has improved under Roach but until his management put him in against a "live" opponent, doubts will remain

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No mention of Katsidis's win over Mitchell here? He not a big name in Oz?

Was a proper demo job and Mitchell's the man who beat the man who beat Khan.

social

Katsidis and Darchiniyan are easily Oz's best fighters but the headlines are grabbed by Green and Mundine who fight cab drivers and/or guys years over the hill

It's a sad indictment of how gullible the public is really

Johnners

Mmm, is kinda annoying, as social said, we hear very little about boxing outside of Green/Mundine and their apparent greatness. Despite being a 3 time world title holder, even Darchiniyan barely rates a mention.