• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Relegation: good thing or bad thing?

Is relegation a good thing in sport?

• Yes

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I find the suggestion that there are only four well ran clubs in the whole of England and the rest are grossly inept, quite frankly, laughable.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Except the club gets paid a transfer fee, which they can re-invest in more young talent.

Let's look at Porto, who are a mid/bottom table club in European terms. Since winning the Champions League they have sold €350m worth of players, yet have won 5 out of 6 league titles since, and last season won the Europa League.

If clubs are run sensibly then there's no real reason why they can't upset the applecart.

And again, I find it weird you guys are bashing the Premiership when it is pretty egalitarian in distributing TV revenue.
I'd go further and say Porto are one of the best teams in Europe at the moment. Probably top five, judging by this season.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hang on, Rooney was part of the youth team of Everton right? That's pretty good youth development. Yet he's ended up at Manchester United. :dry:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Hang on, Rooney was part of the youth team of Everton right? That's pretty good youth development. Yet he's ended up at Manchester United. :dry:
And Everton got paid quite a nice sum for it. The money they got paid could have paid for nearly five Hernandezs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How does that help your argument? The good teams have the money to buy the good players?

Why didn't Wigan offer them £$31m? Or West Ham? Or whomever else is always mid or bottom table?
The point is that Everton can use that £30m to invest in better players.

Which they did, they finished 4th in the EPL the season after they sold Rooney.

By your logic teams like Porto wouldn't be able to survive because on average they've sold almost €60m of players a season.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
How does that help your argument? The good teams have the money to buy the good players?

Why didn't Wigan offer them £$31m? Or West Ham? Or whomever else is always mid or bottom table?
It helps our argument because Everton now had £30m to buy players with. As I said, that's five Hernandezs.

Wigan didn't offer that sort of money for two primary reasons. Firstly, they hadn't produced any Wayne Rooneys lately to raise the cash. Secondly, it would be utterly pointless even if they did have the money as the chances of Rooney wanting to go there are nil.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Whilst money is obviously important, how you spend the money is just as important as how much money you've got.

If the Premiership table was purely down to how much money you spend on transfers, then Arsenal would struggle to finish in the top half of the table. The fact that Arsenal are constantly in the top 4 suggest that they're spending their resources more efficiently than the likes of Manchester City, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Newcastle etc.

There is a bigger correlation between wage spend and league position but even then it's not quite so clear cut - West Ham had the 6th biggest wage bill in the EPL yet finished dead last.

benchmark00

The point is that Everton can use that £30m to invest in better players.

Which they did, they finished 4th in the EPL the season after they sold Rooney.
Dude, that is horse ****. Talent development takes more than one season to bear fruit.

It seems like you're just making up things to back up your point. The fact is, the EPL is NOT equal. That's a cold hard fact. Argue that you like it not being equal, whatever, just don't have the audacity to argue that it is equal.

Patto is the only one who has come up with a good argument, i.e. He likes seeing the top couple of teams have all of the best players because it makes for a higher quality match.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dude, that is horse ****. Talent development takes more than one season to bear fruit.

It seems like you're just making up things to back up your point. The fact is, the EPL is NOT equal. That's a cold hard fact. Argue that you like it not being equal, whatever, just don't have the audacity to argue that it is equal.

Patto is the only one who has come up with a good argument, i.e. He likes seeing the top couple of teams have all of the best players because it makes for a higher quality match.
I haven't once argued that the EPL is equal. Although it does have more equitable distribution of revenue than virtually every other major European league.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The fact is, the EPL is NOT equal. That's a cold hard fact. Argue that you like it not being equal, whatever, just don't have the audacity to argue that it is equal.
You seem to have comprehension issues, no-one in this thread has claimed it is equal, at any point, indeed GF has just said that money is "obviously important". It's obviously way harder without money but there are plenty of examples to show that money isn't the be all and end all.

You've also misinterpreted him re: Everton coming 4th. Obviously talent development takes many seasons, however the act of selling Rooney and buying some other players can be done in one summer. This they did in 2004, and they came 4th the following season. It's not that difficult.

benchmark00

So people concede the competition is unequal, and never will be equal, yet still think it's a good system?

Righto.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
So people concede the competition is unequal, and never will be equal, yet still think it's a good system?
Actually sums up my thoughts quite succinctly.

Fwiw, I love watching all sides in the Prem and the Championship (held a relegation flat party), and I thoroughly enjoyed the League One and Two games that were shown/involved Tranmere.

I don't know if it's the history, or maybe even the presentation, but nothing comes close to the Premier League for me. The best competition in the world.