• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Transfer window.Sacked managers

andmark

International Captain
In football teams sack managers when the transfer window is closed.Should managers be counted as players and can only get sacked when the transfer window is open.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, I'm pretty sure players can be sacked outside the window. I suppose there could be a case for a team not being able to take on another's manager outside the window tho.

I'm not actually a fan of the windows tho, I used to enjoy all the speculation up to the deadline day throughout the season. Gave footy fans much needed hope!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Yeah, I'm pretty sure players can be sacked outside the window. I suppose there could be a case for a team not being able to take on another's manager outside the window tho.

I'm not actually a fan of the windows tho, I used to enjoy all the speculation up to the deadline day throughout the season. Gave footy fans much needed hope!
Yeah, personally I hate the windows. They inflate prices vastly and mean that teams end up settling for players they don't want, just because they're rushed into buying. Brings down the quality of the Premiership IMO.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I can see the merit in the top league of each country, where clubs aren't so cash-strapped - it promotes giving youth players games after injuries.

The fact that it extends to the lower leagues too is ludicrous, IMO. If they have a promising player, they sell him to a Premiership (or equivalent) club, and that is how they stay alive. They can't do that atm.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, personally I hate the windows. They inflate prices vastly and mean that teams end up settling for players they don't want, just because they're rushed into buying. Brings down the quality of the Premiership IMO.
eff the Premiership, the main impact has been on lower league. If they hadn't left us a limited loan market window, we'd all be up the creek most of the season. The transfer window is a joke - I'm with Brumby, it was better when it all built up to March's deadline day.

Mind you Matt, what you say is undoubtedly true.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think its an interesting idea.

Obviously you can sack a guy at anytime, but what about tapping up another manager and paying compensation. Should that only happen in the window.

Say Liverpool sack Benitez and want O'Neill in early March. Should they be able to sign him? or only do it in a transfer window?

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
eff the Premiership, the main impact has been on lower league. If they hadn't left us a limited loan market window, we'd all be up the creek most of the season. The transfer window is a joke - I'm with Brumby, it was better when it all built up to March's deadline day.

Mind you Matt, what you say is undoubtedly true.
I'm sure if we were still in the lower leagues I'd feel the same way. The way we got in all sorts of randoms (Scott Wilson, anyone?) at times used to really annoy me, when we could have done a lot better.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mansfield end up literally about every 2 seasons changing their entire squad. People go out on freebies, and we pick people up on freebies, no transfer money involved ever.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm sure if we were still in the lower leagues I'd feel the same way. The way we got in all sorts of randoms (Scott Wilson, anyone?) at times used to really annoy me, when we could have done a lot better.
Who the hell is Scott Wilson? Some player I'm supposed to know but don't?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Who the hell is Scott Wilson? Some player I'm supposed to know but don't?
Haha, nope. He's just an example of one of the random, unheard-of players we signed in the transfer window when we were a lower division side, as we panicked amid an injury crisis. He was terrible.