• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite sport? (Cricket excluded)

Favourite sport?

• Football (Soccer)

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • Rugby Union

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Rugby League

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • Golf

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Snooker

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Aussies Rules

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Hockey

• Ice Hockey

• Tennis

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Badminton

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Boxing

• Volleyball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beach Volleyball

• Athletics

• Wrestling

• Swimming

• Darts

• Baseball

• American Football

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Basketball

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Netball

• Handball

• Cycling

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Gaelic Football

• Some other sport that I have stupidly omitted

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters

ash chaulk

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
American Football: No thanks. Real men play without helmets.

seriously why do people think that the helmet is somethink to protect ya self. It is used as a weapon.

You can tackle a person how ever you want you can closeline the bastard if you wish. You can spear tackle etc etc...

on the weekend i managed to smash some guy in the spine with my helmet (below the padding) also gave somone a nasty bruise on the shin. But heck us non real men we didnt sit down and cry we kept playing no pain no game.

I understand that was your opinion just gets me worked up when people make an excuse to not like the sport because of padding.

Slow Love™

International Captain
steds said:
Boxing: Was brought up being told it's a sport in which the working class are exploited and forced into beating the **** out of each other while the already rich make money of them. Never really got into it anyway. I love the Rocky films though.
Yeah, same.

In terms of spectator sports - after cricket, I enjoy AFL (though not so much in recent years being a Hawthorn supporter). After that it's probably tennis.

In terms of playing: cricket, squash. Haven't played either seriously for some time though. I occasionally mess around on a tennis court.

I've always been kinda interested in getting into baseball (in terms of watching) - one of these days I need to spend the time to get up to speed on it and start following it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
16 tins of Spam said:
F1 drivers are among the fittest - if not the fittest - athletes there are.
Tell me, where did I say they weren't fit? All I said that, in my opinion, driving a car isn't an athletic activity. My dad's a traffic cop. Does chasing a speeding vehicle count as a workout?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Football: It's ok, but can be very boring. It's infinitely better to play and best time to watch it is during the WC or Cup Finals when you're absolutely behind a team playing.
Rugby union: It's alright, easier to watch than Football at times. Tend to only just about catch the Autumn internationals and 6 Nations though.
Rugby league: Been awhile since i took any interest, and it'll pain Steds that the team i took interest in were Wigan.
Golf: Just so not a spectator sport. Driving ranges are quite fun though.
Snooker: Watch it when nothing else is on, never actually played it tbh, only Pool
Aussie rules: Next season, i reckon i'll take an interest in this.
Field hockey: Used to play it and was alright. Never have a chance to watch it
Ice hockey: Been playing a load of NHL on a mate's XBox 360 recently. Such a fun game.
Tennis: Used to play it. Can watch it so much easier than a load of other sports.
Badminton: Never get a chance to watch it, but it's fun to play as it can make anyone look stupid when you miss that smash.
Boxing: Meh. Pugalists are idiots
Volleyball: Fun to play if you're co-ordinated. Quite good to watch too tbh
Beach volleyball: Not played on a beach but still good to watch
Athletics: Ok, but couldn't watch for too long really
Wrestling: Farce
Swimming: Not a swimming guy given my mild allergy to water on my skin
Darts: Never played it, but it's interesting to see fat messes of guys actually succeed at a 'sport'
Baseball: Meh. Don't watch Channel 5 late at night.
American Football: Ditto
Netball: Also meh. It's lame basketball.
Handball: Never really properly played it. I feel for the goalkeepers though
Cycling: Good to do and good to watch. I even bothered to marshall a stage i like it that much.
Gaelic football: Will lose to Aussie Rules tomorrow.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
steds said:
Tell me, where did I say they weren't fit? All I said that, in my opinion, driving a car isn't an athletic activity. My dad's a traffic cop. Does chasing a speeding vehicle count as a workout?
You sure you read every meaning for sport? I was sure one of the meanings was something to do with competition.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
16 tins of Spam said:
Huh? Don't be so pedantic. I was trying to counter the fairly weak assertion that racing drivers aren't athletes.
Steds never put the assertion forward that racing drivers aren't athletes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Football: The greatest game. Off the pub then the game in a short while. Love it. Also hate it because the Whites haven't won anything, uh, ever, but still, love love love it
Rugby union: Will watch casually, ie Six Nations, World Cup, Autumn Internationals etc. Wouldn't go out of my way to watch Premiership Rugby though, but I'd probably watch the Heineken Cup now and again if I had Sky Sports. Sale V Ospreys sounded a thriller last week. Yeah, actually, I quite like Rugby, but I don't really know much about it!
Rugby league: It's okay, it's a sport I've always wanted to try and watch to see if I could get into it, but I've never bothered. Haven't watched enough to quantify the fact that I prefer Union, but I've always thoguht I do, must just be the Grammar school boy in me.
Golf: Golf fans who call Cricket boring - :laugh: . It'd be great to play thoguh, but I'm useless at it. Can't even hit the damn ball.
Snooker: Again, I'd play it a lot but I'm pathetic. Can be really good to watch.
Aussie rules: Know nothing about it. Had to play it once in school though, I think I just went missing for the game.
Field hockey: Used to enjoy playing it in school, but would never bother sitting and watching a game.
Ice hockey: Drivel, but the console games are usually pretty good.
Tennis: I have to be pretty bored to watch Tennis. Not a bad game to play, but rather tiring.
Badminton: Used to love playing it in school. Only ever watched one match, during the Athens Olympics, and I kid you not it was a thriller. Think we ended up with the silver.
Boxing: What Fuller said - it can be a great social event when you get a few lads together, a load of beers, and stay up til all hours to watch the big fight. Had some great times watching Lewis in his prime.
Volleyball: Wouldn't bother watching, but another one that I used to quite like playing.
Beach volleyball: Is there actually a point to this sport?
Athletics: Used to run for Wirral, til I was about 17. Loved watching it, though I've lost touch the last couple of years.
Wrestling: Pro-wrestling is not a sport but I love it, mor did in its day I should say, amateur wrestling isn't so good
Swimming: Will watch in the Olympics and such like.
Darts: Love playing killer darts, but that's about it.
Baseball: Never really watched.
American Football: Rubbish.
Netball: Rubbish
Handball: Enjoyable sport to play, never really watched it
Cycling: Can be pretty good to watch, but I'd never go out of my way to do so
Gaelic football: ok

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Aussie rules: Know nothing about it. Had to play it once in school though, I think I just went missing for the game.
What cruel and unusual punishments you had to endure at school.

Mister Wright

Craig said:
So all the guys on the bases are able to get back home? :wacko:
But they could just walk back to the home base rather than walking around the diamond. You don't have to run up and down a pitch 6 times when you hit a 6 in cricket.

Dravid

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
But they could just walk back to the home base rather than walking around the diamond. You don't have to run up and down a pitch 6 times when you hit a 6 in cricket.
Exactly, just walk back. It's really stupid to run for no reason.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe because in the past they didn't have fences so a home run basically occurred when a batter hit it so far that he had time to run around all the bases before the ball was retrieved. Now that they have fences you can hit a home run by hitting it over it, and they've kept the running around the bases part. It seems like a cool way to get acknowledged for it anyway.

Mister Wright

burkey_1988 said:
Maybe because in the past they didn't have fences so a home run basically occurred when a batter hit it so far that he had time to run around all the bases before the ball was retrieved. Now that they have fences you can hit a home run by hitting it over it, and they've kept the running around the bases part. It seems like a cool way to get acknowledged for it anyway.
Yeah, I didn't say it was a stupid thing to do, but it isn't a stupid suggestion to suggest they shouldn't run the diamond.

The few times I've watched baseball, it does seem like a pretty cool thing to do to run around and wave at the crowd and give it to all the guys defending the bases.

David

International 12th Man
Football: Dire spectator sport for mine.
Rugby union: Enjoyable game.
Rugby league: Prefer Union, but League is good to watch
Golf: Actually a suprisingly decent game to watch
Snooker: Don't really enjoy the game tbh, but haven't given it a shot either
Aussie rules: Not so good now Fitzroy are gone.
Hockey: Best sport ever, I enjoy it much more than cricket. To someone who loves the game, watching it is fantastic, seeing the skills of these players that I'll never be able to match.. magical. love the game. Can't find any DVD's in Australia of it though. Thanks for nothing :@
Ice hockey: Probably a good game, but ruined by the fact that most US people I speak to claim it's awesome and call it Hockey, instead of Ice Hockey. then when they calim your favourite sport is for girls, it all goes downhill from there. **** Ice hockey with a rake. :@
Tennis: Fantastic sport.
Badminton: Unknown
Boxing: Not a good watch for mine.
Volleyball: A game I probably should have got into, but never did. Despite the fact my father played it for the RAAF internationally, I know nothing about it.
Beach volleyball:
Athletics: Prefer the long distance running, but it's all pretty good value, for mine.
Wrestling: I may like it, but Pro wrestling isn't a sport. Shoot wrestling is good to watch.
Swimming: I'll always wonder why I get excited over this sport.
Darts:
Baseball: Not a fan, sorry Camps
American Football: Too stop/start imo. For Ash, I'm talking from a spectating point of view. Also, just because you use a great amount of energy doesn't make a sport special. See a triathlon.
Netball: Decent.
Handball:
Cycling: Surprisingly fun
Gaelic football:
Basketball: Always good value

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
Someone please tell me why you have to run in Baseball after you hit a homerun.
Because a home run is scoring a run from your bat, not hitting it out the park. There's something called an "inside the park home run". They're quite rare, but it's where you hit it, don't hit it over the wall, but get to home. It normally needs a fielding ****-up but they're cool anyway.

Dick Rockett

KennyD said:
Steds never put the assertion forward that racing drivers aren't athletes.
Yes he did.

steds said:
I fail to see how sitting in a car counts as an athletic activity.
If you want to be literal about it, sitting in a race car doesn't count as athletic activity, but once it's moving, that's a different story.

Dick Rockett

steds said:
Why would a racing driver need to be fit if they weren't participating in an athletic activity?

As far as your Dad goes - when his police Astra can subject him to lateral forces of 5g, accelerate to 360kmh, and brake to zero from that speed in about 120 metres then yes, he'll be getting a workout on the job.