• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pathetic, Defensive or Sportsmanlike?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Watched the Currie Cup Final today between the Cheetahs and the Blue Bulls.
Now this is the biggest sports event of the year in South Africa.

What a game it was! The game ebbed and flowed throughout. Tied at full time the players prepared for 20 mins of extra time.

As the hooter went, to signal the end of extra time, the game was still tied with the Blue Bulls just being given a penalty half way inside their own half.

Now what options did they have? they could have run the ball to get in to position to take a drop goal or attempted a long long range penalty kick.

What did they choose to do? Turn around and kick the ball to touch and call the game a tie and the trophy shared.

WTF? 100 mins of tough, hard rugby and they don't even try and win it. Admittedly it could have gone wrong and the Cheetahs may have got the ball and had a chance to win but kicking the ball to touch, I ask you.

Some are saying they did it as both teams played hard and a shared trophy was a fair result and sportsmanlike, but IMO it was typical of SA sporting mentality of avoiding losing is more important than taking risks to try and win.

Damn you Rugby Union. As a League man, whenever you start to impress me you let yourself down.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Put this in a Rugby thread, too many rugby threads in here IMO.

Minority sport, and its *****.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
grecian said:
Put this in a Rugby thread, too many rugby threads in here IMO.

Minority sport, and its *****.
Not in South Africa, or is this board dominated by the views of a vocal English minority? :p

grecian

Goughy said:
Not in South Africa, or is this board dominated by the views of a vocal English minority? :p
Sorry, I'm not really worried about what anyone wants to chat about, it was more a satirical attack on the vocal minority who want football threads marginalised.

I do hate rugger though:p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Damn you Rugby Union. As a League man, whenever you start to impress my you let yourself down.
It impresses you?

That incident is ****iness that could only come from union or soccer.

Matteh

Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez. Same person or do they look simliar because i don't want to look at them ever?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Goughy said:
Watched the Currie Cup Final today between the Cheetahs and the Blue Bulls.
Now this is the biggest sports event of the year in South Africa.

What a game it was! The game ebbed and flowed throughout. Tied at full time the players prepared for 20 mins of extra time.

As the hooter went, to signal the end of extra time, the game was still tied with the Blue Bulls just being given a penalty half way inside their own half.

Now what options did they have? they could have run the ball to get in to position to take a drop goal or attempted a long long range penalty kick.

What did they choose to do? Turn around and kick the ball to touch and call the game a tie and the trophy shared.

WTF? 100 mins of tough, hard rugby and they don't even try and win it. Admittedly it could have gone wrong and the Cheetahs may have got the ball and had a chance to win but kicking the ball to touch, I ask you.

Some are saying they did it as both teams played hard and a shared trophy was a fair result and sportsmanlike, but IMO it was typical of SA sporting mentality of avoiding losing is more important than taking risks to try and win.

Damn you Rugby Union. As a League man, whenever you start to impress me you let yourself down.
One word. Wet.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
People who pay out Union usually can't play it because they are ****. Usually can't play League either because they are ****.