• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are the Socceroos a better team than England ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Why didnt you bring the actual substance in your argument to the table to start with?

Ok I'm sorry if I offended you.....but that other bloke Matteh keep mentioning the France Scotland result yet when I mention the England-Macedonia game, he always trots out some weak excuse like "our players were so tired" yada yada yada.......

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Salamuddin said:
Yup never mind the fact, they played like rubbish in the WC....
England flew through their group whilst i honestly thought France wouldn't make it out of theirs. Only after that point did France bother doing anything.

Salamuddin said:
they haven't won a thing since 1966 --- not even a Euro championship....hell, even Spain have won one of those.....and yet people still go on and on about them being such superpowers and their fans castigate other teams like Australia
Because we've come close several times since then and we can beat world class teams like Argentina/Germany etc.
The Australia international team i see as being like the Wimbledon team of the mid 90s. Massive amounts of work effort will usually see them get a result, but against more skillful opposition they will generally lose.

Matteh

Salamuddin said:
Ok I'm sorry if I offended you.....but that other bloke Matteh keep mentioning the France Scotland result yet when I mention the England-Macedonia game, he always trots out some weak excuse like "our players were so tired" yada yada yada.......
Dear me. You brought up Macedonia + Croatia, so i brought up Scotland. Never once did i say our players were so tired.

Well that's your argument completely discredited.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Eng v Aus would be quite the derby match, Aus winning one out of three wouldn't surprise me at all.

Stick Aus in the groups we've had to top to qualify from over the last five years and they'd struggle a bit tbh, Europe >>>>>>>> Oceania or whatever.

Gus Hiddink = Teh Legend though.

Judee Sill >>>>>>Yakka Banovic>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zeljko Kalac.

We are really ***** though, **** me.

But not that *****.

Matteh

Pedro Delgado said:
Zeljko Kalac.
**** me, how poor was Kalac in the WC?

As someone half Aus and therefore supporting Aus in games, i ended up just loosing complete confidence in him doing the basic things. If Gary Neville had done a backpass to him in that game, it'd definitely have gone in.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Matteh said:
Dear me. You brought up Macedonia + Croatia, so i brought up Scotland. Never once did i say our players were so tired.

Well that's your argument completely discredited.

My apologies....the actual words were an "off-form" England was the actual excuse.....so if you can use the "off-form" excuse gainst Macedonia, why can't I use that for France ?

Not that it really matters....it always seems like England have excuses....whenever they fail....and you did bring up "we were so unlucky" in the other thread, you never once acknowledge the fact maybe England aren't simply good enough - most likely explanation I think.

And my actual argument pertains to Australia's capabilities vis a vis England's, my dear sir.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Matteh said:

As someone half Aus and therefore supporting Aus in games, i ended up just loosing complete confidence in him doing the basic things. If Gary Neville had done a backpass to him in that game, it'd definitely have gone in.

This is so typical......defend an English gaffe by saying ...oh other teams would have done it so it ain't bad. :laugh:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Because we've come close several times since then and we can beat world class teams like Argentina/Germany etc.
The Australia international team i see as being like the Wimbledon team of the mid 90s. Massive amounts of work effort will usually see them get a result, but against more skillful opposition they will generally lose.
Don't know about that i think Australia could beat any team on any given day, regardless of how skillful they are, we are a lot better then Wimbledon of the 90s. But to be better then England or any other top 10 international team we have to perform on a consistent basic. Losing to Croatia is no disgrace, especially at home.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Pedro Delgado said:
Eng v Aus would be quite the derby match, Aus winning one out of three wouldn't surprise me at all.

Stick Aus in the groups we've had to top to qualify from over the last five years and they'd struggle a bit tbh, Europe >>>>>>>> Oceania or whatever.

Gus Hiddink = Teh Legend though.

Judee Sill >>>>>>Yakka Banovic>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zeljko Kalac.

We are really ***** though, **** me.

But not that *****.

Australia were very narrowly beaten by Italy.......before, they held Holland to a draw in Holland and drew with Croatia. I think Socceroos would be very competitive in Europe.....

grecian

England are over-rated rubbish, but better then the Aussies.

Pretty much end of argument really.

cameeel

International Captain
Matteh said:

I just want to know how Kalac got so many internation caps...

Matteh

Salamuddin said:
This is so typical......defend an English gaffe by saying ...oh other teams would have done it so it ain't bad. :laugh:
Not really, i'm saying that Kalac was utter dire in that game and making such utterly basic mistakes that it would have happened.

Pothas

Salamuddin said:
Yup never mind the fact, they played like rubbish in the WC....they haven't won a thing since 1966 --- not even a Euro championship....hell, even Spain have won one of those.....and yet people still go on and on about them being such superpowers and their fans castigate other teams like Australia.
How does that make Australia a better side though? An Australia side that has only qualified for 1 world cup in the last 30 years. England may be an underachieving, dull side that never lives up to expectation but they have a far better record than Australia and would normaly beat them.

Matteh

chaminda_00 said:
We are a lot better then Wimbledon of the 90s.
Oh definitely, i was commenting more on the work-effort side of things. Doesn't look all that glamorous but seems to work kinda thing.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Salamuddin said:
Australia were very narrowly beaten by Italy.......before, they held Holland to a draw in Holland and drew with Croatia. I think Socceroos would be very competitive in Europe.....
Gus Hiddink.

Aus will always have spirit and balls, but it was Gus that got you those results.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
This argument is somewhat hampered by the fact that Australia, until recently, had one of the world's best managers in charge, whereas England haven't had a top class manager in donkey's years.

It's fairly obvious that England have the better team on paper - if you named a first-choice England XI, at least 7 of them could reasonably be considered world-class by my reckoning (and by that I mean among the best in the world in their position), whereas Australia don't have anyone who comes into that category.

If both teams were managed by the same person, I think England would probably beat Australia four times out of five. As it is, Pedro's statement of one Aussie win every three games is probably about right.

However, to suggest Australia are the better team is a pretty ludicrous suggestion really. It should be taken about as seriously as those suggestions that after England won the Ashes, that made them the best side in the world. Anyone with a brain who's willing to think about the issue for longer than about three seconds can tell what the answer is.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Gus Hiddink.

Aus will always have spirit and balls, but it was Gus that got you those results.
What about the results before him... 3-1 Australia v England, wins over France and Brazil...