• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NBA 2006-2007 season thread

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And as for Lebron never being as good as Kobe, never saw Kobe do that.
As great as Lebron was last night, he was the one who put his team in that position by missing two crucial free throws in the regular time.

And Kobe would never have scored 40+ points because he was playing with Shaq at his prime, but he is a better clutch performer than Lebron(even Wade is better than Lebron), I still remember Lakers finals vs. Pacers and Kobe made several clutch shots when Shaq was fouled out in over time.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
And Kobe would never have scored 40+ points because he was playing with Shaq at his prime, but he is a better clutch performer than Lebron(even Wade is better than Lebron), I still remember Lakers finals vs. Pacers and Kobe made several clutch shots when Shaq was fouled out in over time.
agreed that kobe is a great clutch scorer and not saying he can't do it, but it's also a fact that he hasn't done anything quite like that in his great career so far....

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems to me that LeBron is going to have to score 60+ shooting at 100% before Sanz will give him credit...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Seems to me that LeBron is going to have to score 60+ shooting at 100% before Sanz will give him credit...
Before putting words in my mouth, why dont you prove that whatever I said was wrong ? Had Lebron not missed those 3 crucial free throws in final few 2-3 minutes of the game, the game would have never gone to overtime. His mistakes (missed free throws) forced the game to go to overtime. Once it went to overtime, Lebron was spectacular and there is no denying that.

I gave him full credit, as much as he deserves. But he is no Jordan, Not yet. He isn't even as good as Kobe. With Jordan, this game wouldn't have gone to overtime and infact this series would have been over 4-0 in favor of Cleveland.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
agreed that kobe is a great clutch scorer and not saying he can't do it, but it's also a fact that he hasn't done anything quite like that in his great career so far....
Yes Kobe hasn't scored 25 points in a row, heck I am not sure if Jordan has done something like that, but Kobe has scored 40+ points a no. of times in playoffs, This year in one game against Suns, Last year he dropped 50 in one game against Suns.

Lebron is great but his performance last night wasn't one for ages, it wasn't one of the best ever, his performance in the regulation time was rather ordinary.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Jordan couldn't do that at 22 and neither could Kobe.

That was a performance for the ages if there ever was one. Kobe has never done anything like that in his career.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well, a sub-par shooting night for james is offset by a great one for gibson and cleveland advance to the finals for the first time...james notwithstanding, the spurs are the better team and should win their fourth title though....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

That was a performance for the ages if there ever was one. Kobe has never done anything like that in his career.
Jordan started his NBA career at 21-22, and missed his second season due to injury so no surprise that he didn't achieve that. But in his 3rd season he scored 50 in consecutive playoff games, ironically against the CAVs.

It is funny to say that Kobe has never done anything like that in his career, Kobe also has not had 3 poor games in one playoff series.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
lebron is in a team that revolves completely around him, kobe at 22 was in a team that had shaq in it as the main man and a lot of other experienced players surrounding him, their circumstances were completely different and so the "couldn't do that at 22" is completely irrelevant...

Dravid

International Captain
Well you know turd, Detroit did get further than Toronto, so I don't see why you are talking

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well you know turd, Detroit did get further than Toronto, so I don't see why you are talking
What difference does it make ? They were aweful and lucky to win two games, thanks to Lebron's inexperience in the playoffs. So its ttwo years in a row they have lost to lower seed teams. Joe Dumars should see the signs and look to rebuild his team because Rasheed is older, Webber is uselsss, Billups is a free agent this year and looking to get out of motown(problems with Rasheed), that leaves Hamilton and Prince, not much talent for the future to reach NBA finals. If they didn't do something this year, they are not reaching conf. finals for next few years despite being in the weak eastern conf.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
What difference does it make ? They were aweful and lucky to win two games, thanks to Lebron's inexperience in the playoffs. So its ttwo years in a row they have lost to lower seed teams. Joe Dumars should see the signs and look to rebuild his team because Rasheed is older, Webber is uselsss, Billups is a free agent this year and looking to get out of motown(problems with Rasheed), that leaves Hamilton and Prince, not much talent for the future to reach NBA finals. If they didn't do something this year, they are not reaching conf. finals for next few years despite being in the weak eastern conf.
...and worse still, other than lebron, they didn't have a whole lot else to beat, gibson was able to make those shots because two or three pistons defenders almost always collapsed on lebron and left the youngster wide open, i doubt if the spurs would make the same mistake...billups might stay on if the price is right but don't know about the future of saunders or wallace in this organization...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Spurs have better defenders in Bowen, Horry and Duncan plus Duncan is going to score at will against Z (or whoever gets to defend him). Spurs have Parker, Elson and Ginobli who are much quicker than any of the Cavaliers stars and in the event they need to double team Lebron (which I doubt), they will not lose much.

In the end IMO Spurs have too much fire power to be contained by Cavaliers. Cavs should not win more than 1 game. I predict 4-1 to Spurs.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I haven't been on much to post on here. Congrats to Lebron and the Cavs! All I can say is…Lebron is awesome. I still consider Kobe to be the best player in the league, but that will soon change in the coming years. You guys notice how Lebron will get the ball and all the rest of the Cavs would simply get out of the way? I mean at times it seemed like they wouldn't even set picks for him or anything…just simply scamper to the corners so they don't get blamed for being in his way! :laugh:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Spurs have better defenders in Bowen, Horry and Duncan plus Duncan is going to score at will against Z (or whoever gets to defend him). Spurs have Parker, Elson and Ginobli who are much quicker than any of the Cavaliers stars and in the event they need to double team Lebron (which I doubt), they will not lose much.

In the end IMO Spurs have too much fire power to be contained by Cavaliers. Cavs should not win more than 1 game. I predict 4-1 to Spurs.
I agree with your assessment, but I think you're being too harsh on the Cavs. Just because of the Lebron factor, I say they'll win 2 games. 4-2 to Spurs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can someone give me an analogy to Lebron James' performance in another sport, say cricket. How huge was his individual performance, is it like a Lara 153* innings? Or something similar?

I obviously understand basketball but am unaware of the history of top individual point scoreres in the NBA, however from what I heard of his performance through discussions on the radio, it sounds absolutely unreal and a once in a lifetime thing to see.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It was huge, although nowhere close to that Lara 153* innings.

[IMO] it isn't among top 25 performances of NBA in last 10-15 years. Heck it wasn't even the best peroformance of this season by an NBA players (Kobe 81 Vs. Raptors). This match should have never gone to OT but it went because of Lebron missed 3 crucial missed free throws. Lebron wasn't spectacular in the regulation time, he was just typical Lebron, scoring a few and missing a few, even in the 1st OT he made a key defensive mistake that took the game to second OT. That said once it went to OT, Lebron was everywhere and scoring at will. It should be a career defining moment for Lebron, a game which took(or should take) him the next level. This was a performance that raised the bar of expectation from him. You can say it was the best OT performance I have seen by a player , but it wasn't the best overall game performance I have seen by a player, not even in this season.

153* is Lara's best and one of all time best, whereas this may be Lebron's best so far but by no means it should remain his career best, but if he wants to be considered among the greats like Jordan/Bird etc, there has got to be many more performances, clutch performances, better than this against better oppositions again and again. [/IMO]

Here is a list that includes some great playoff performances.(although this has James's performance in there as top 10 of all time).

http://www.nba.com/news/playoff_top10.html