• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I know some of you follow it, it's time to get a bit more discussion happening.

Anyone catch the Cardinals match just now? Fair whack from Bennett with bases loaded, could have only been a better atmosphere if they were 3 down!

We lost about $3k on it at work, so I shouldn't be happy, but I backed them. I love my shorts in the baseball because they're more reliable than most other sports.

Anyway, continue discussion...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that game was quite the thriller.

The Dodgers are going great this season, I'm picking them to go close.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm.... last time I checked this was a cricket site. Take your heresy elsewhere.

Last edited:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Ive become an Insomniac, and baseball is on almost every nite on channel five in england, and i dont mind it to be honest

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tomm NCCC said:
Ive become an Insomniac, and baseball is on almost every nite on channel five in england, and i dont mind it to be honest
Saw some of it last night after work, it's not bad at all. Kept me interested enough to watch again tonight if I can be bothered.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tomm NCCC said:
Yeah, I became so happy with being awake all night that I decided to work night shifts, then I could watch more baseball..

Fusion

Global Moderator
Baseball rocks! Any predictions on the post season? Is Detriot for real? Who wins the AL Wild Card?

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Saw some of it last night after work, it's not bad at all. Kept me interested enough to watch again tonight if I can be bothered.
Yep, not just the empty-minded slog a lot of people seem to think it is, quite good to watch. I haven't got a clue how the leagues work though, it's too complicated at 2 in the morning.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I'll explain.

There are 2 leagues: The American League and the National League (the AL uses the Designated Hitter, who bats for the pitcher, the National League doesn't.

The 2 leagues are sub-divided into 3 divisions, East, Central, West. The teams will play many matches against teams in their division, less against teams out of their division but in their league, and will play very few matches outside of their league (known as inter-league play.) There are 162 games in a MLB schedule.

There's a post season as well, which I cba to explain.

Fusion

Global Moderator
The Baconator said:
Yep, not just the empty-minded slog a lot of people seem to think it is, quite good to watch. I haven't got a clue how the leagues work though, it's too complicated at 2 in the morning.
There are two leagues: American and National. The major difference between the two is the role of a "designating hitter". The DH does not have to field a position, he can just hit in the lineup. In the American League, the DH is in place. This means the pitcher (bowler) does not have to bat, which makes the American League style of play more offensive as pitchers in baseball generally can't hit. Conversely, in the National League, there is no DH, so the pitcher has to hit. Often times this means an automatic out for the opposing team. The National League is hence more defensive style of play and requires a lot more strategy. I prefer the AL myself.
The game is not as easy as Cricket aficionados tend to make it (my first love is cricket mind you, but I love baseball as well). It involves a lot of strategy and skill, just like any major sport. Some of the great baseball rivalries are just as stirring as those of Cricket's. Yankees/Redsox rivalry is probably the best rivalry in American sports.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
ive played baseball for about 3 years now only becuz cricket isnt so popular here in canada. but me and my buds still play cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The post season involves the winners of each division (in both leagues) being involved in a playoff, and the best NL team and the best AL team play in the World Series.. The winner of which is, well the best..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Fusion said:
Baseball rocks! Any predictions on the post season? Is Detriot for real? Who wins the AL Wild Card?
Detroit has a really good team, but I think the White Sox could still sneak the division. Regarding the Wild Card, my heart says Boston, but my head says it'll be someone from the Central.

_Ed_

Fusion said:
They're going really well, it never ceases to amaze me what an impact Ivan Rodriguez has on a young team. Florida 2003, now Detroit 2006.

As for the AL...well...who knows? I'm thinking maybe the loser of AL Central, but I have a feeling Boston will get on a streak and they're only 5 behind so they could get there. And of course Minnesota are currently leading for the Wild Card so can't write them off.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
actually no white sox wont sneak division..........and btw detroit has a marvelous pitching staff so thats why they leadign this year.........alogn with a good GM...........also guys root for the TORONTO BLUE JAYS!!!!!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

_Ed_ said:
They're going really well, it never ceases to amaze me what an impact Ivan Rodriguez has on a young team. Florida 2003, now Detroit 2006.

As for the AL...well...who knows? I'm thinking maybe the loser of AL Central, but I have a feeling Boston will get on a streak and they're only 5 behind so they could get there. And of course Minnesota are currently leading for the Wild Card so can't write them off.
The more I think about it, the more I think that Boston's only shot is to win the division. I'd love if the Yankees missed the playoffs. It'd be my dream scenario, after my eternal dream that Chelsea gets relegated from the Prem.

Re: Ivan Rodriguez, I've been a fan of his since his Texas days a little while back, and he's a terrific player and leader. He did a decent job with the 2005 Tigers too. I didn't expect them to be holding on this well, but then the White Sox (a more likely challenger than the Twins IMO) have been a disappointment.