• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The New All Blacks Haka

Do you support the new All Blacks Haka?

• Total voters

James

Cricket Web Owner
What does everyone think of the new All Blacks Haka?

It's generating more controversy with the Australian coach coming out saying it's setting a bad example with the throat slitting end.

I agree with him, and although the All Blacks say it's a unique "maori message", what sort of message does that give to people all over the world?

News here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3745953a1823,00.html

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
naa dont like it, what was wrong with the haka they were previously using?

_Ed_

I must say that I love it.

The other one is no less threatening, with the words meaning such things as "it is death". The new one is more inclusive of Pacific Islands culture, and with a large number of the All Blacks now having Pacific Island heritage I think it's a great idea. The throat-slitting may be unneccessary though.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Beats me, no idea, why break over a 100 years of tradition I would ask Henry if I could.

What I've always wondered is why don't Australia, England, France, South Africa, etc introduce a type of haka to fire themselves up and to counter the All Blacks haka?

Also, why should the opposition players be forced to stand still looking straight at the All Blacks haka? And does anyone remember Norm Hewitt going right up to his opposite number and doing the haka in his face? If I was the Australian captain I would take the players into a huddle and just simply ignore it.

benchmark00

Doesn't worry me at all. I find the haka a bit of a 'meh' sort of thing, wouldn't bother me if they brought guns out on the ground.

Simon

James said:
Beats me, no idea, why break over a 100 years of tradition I would ask Henry if I could.

What I've always wondered is why don't Australia, England, France, South Africa, etc introduce a type of haka to fire themselves up and to counter the All Blacks haka?

Also, why should the opposition players be forced to stand still looking straight at the All Blacks haka? And does anyone remember Norm Hewitt going right up to his opposite number and doing the haka in his face? If I was the Australian captain I would take the players into a huddle and just simply ignore it.
the wallabies did turn their backs on it a few years ago and got in a heap of trouble for it didnt they?

benchmark00

James said:

Agree 100% with that, but I think I've heard a few Wallaby players say that they'd rather watch it, it's a great spectacle but i would hate for Australia to adopt a type of haka, if you need a little dance at the start of a match to fire yourself up you're in trouble from the get-go.

James

Cricket Web Owner
What would you guys think if the Aussies introduced a type of Aboriginal dance similar to the All Blacks Haka?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
No problem with the throat-slitting gesture from me - it's common sense. Does anyone actually believe that the gesture is a genuine threat to their safety? Just as long as they don't do it to Monica Seles we won't see it end in tears.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
I find it quite funny, the first part of the new Haka is almost identical to one I did when I was in the Wellington College Kapa Haka group that we did when we had important visitors, it is baisically a welcoming Haka. So the new one is saying, "Come on in, we're gonna kill you."

I dont mind the throat slitting gesture, at least they aren't jumping around doing pelvic thrusts towards the opposition.
EDIT: In fact, they could be doing hip hop video dance moves and that would not be pretty.:sick:

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I far, far prefer the original. I know the new one's words are more Rugby-orientated (I think Volts provided a translation in another thread for those of us who, shamefully, aren't fluent in Maori) but the original is as much part of New Zealand Rugby tradition as, say, killing the ball at rucks. :p

We'd really struggle in England too; let's not forget our tradiational folk dance in the Morris dance...

A terrifying sight, I'm sure you'll agree:

benchmark00

Can anyone remember the last world cup where Roy & HG had a competition to make an Australian haka?

Hilarity ensued.

ash chaulk

International Captain
When Australia played NZ in gridiron they did the throat gesture towards us aswell... we didnt care... we had agreed to give them a cheeky smile right back at them... we won 48-2

Craig

World Traveller
Apparently doing the haka is pretty tiring, so this throat-slitting thing is something that is supposed to be something that will pump them up and revitilise (sic) them or something, that's according to Aaron Mauger. They also changed because the old one was too popular or something (don't have the article with me ATM).

For what it's worth, I quite enjoy watching the haka, what ever version, and seeing the All Black haka and when they play a Pacific Island side (ie Fiji, Samoa, Tonga) do their own war dance (the ignorant me sorry doesn't know the name)at the same time is really something. Unfortunatly that is one of the few times they are competitive on the pitch.