• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Footballers

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:
Well Alan 'Mr Personality' Shearer needs to be removed from the list
Well he's better than Raul and CDMs' chief poseur. Not that I'd be bothered if all 3 were removed.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Steve Flack
Who? :p

I'd like to go beyond the obvious and nominate Ryan Giggs - at the top of his game for close to a decade, even if he is in decline now.

I'd also like to adopt ownership of this thread from Rich if he's not bothered about continuing with it - I'll draw up a list of 64 names if we can get the nominations sorted.

Cloete

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Michael Platini (France) - France's greatest ever player (all due respect to Henry). Over 60 international goals from midfield.
Zidane's a far greater player than Henry, World Cup 98 belonged to Zidane and Ronaldo. I'd have to agree with Platini though.

Cloete

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Dwight Yorke (TT) - first non-European to score 100 Premiership goals (I think). Obviously the best player to play football in Australia...
Nowhere near it, we have hosted Brazil on a number of occasions! :happy:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
I'd also like to adopt ownership of this thread from Rich if he's not bothered about continuing with it - I'll draw up a list of 64 names if we can get the nominations sorted.
Yep thats fine, I was just providing the idea and some footballers and was kind of hoping someone would actually do the work..

DJellett

International Debutant
Anna said:
Ha ha......misread that as Michael Palin :laugh:
HAHAHAHA I love Michael Palin..."Centuwion, stwike him...vewy wuffwy" OMG someone has to start a monty python thread

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I think I did many aeons (??) ago.

Aha, I've found it :D

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I can't sleep, so here's a provisional shortlist of 64:

Goalkeepers
Lev Yashin (Russia)
Peter Schmeichel (Denmark)
Gordon Banks (England)
Sepp Maier (Germany)

Defenders
Bobby Moore (England)
Stuart Pearce (England)
Ruud Krol (Holland)
Frank Rijkaard (Holland)
Franco Baresi (Italy)
Paolo Maldini (Italy)
Alessandro Nesta (Italy)
Giacinto Facchetti (Italy)
Franz Beckenbauer (Germany)
Lothar Matthaus (Germany)
Daniel Passarella (Argentina)
Cafu (Brazil)
Fernando Hierro (Spain)

Midfielders
Michel Platini (France)
Zinedine Zidane (France)
Didier Deschamps (France)
Bobby Charlton (England)
Bryan Robson (England)
Ruud Gullit (Holland)
Johan Cruijff (Holland)
Ronaldinho (Brazil)
Jairzinho (Brazil)
Zico (Brazil)
Socrates (Brazil)
Roy Keane (Republic of Ireland)
Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic)
Luis Figo (Portugal)
Georghe Hagi (Romania)
Ryan Giggs (Wales)

Forwards
Pele (Brazil)
Romario (Brazil)
Rivelino (Brazil)
Ronaldo (Brazil)
Garrincha (Brazil)
Diego Maradona (Argentina)
Mario Kempes (Argentina)
Alfredo Di Stefano (Argentina)
Gabriel Batistuta (Argentina)
Hugo Sanchez (Mexico)
Tom Finney (England)
Stanley Matthews (England)
Gary Lineker (England)
Kevin Keegan (England)
Alan Shearer (England)
Eric Cantona (France)
Just Fontaine (France)
Thierry Henry (France)
Jean-Pierre Papin (France)
Ferenc Puskas (Hungary)
Gerd Muller (Germany)
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (Germany)
Paolo Rossi (Italy)
Roberto Baggio (Italy)
Dennis Bergkamp (Holland)
Marco van Basten (Holland)
George Best (Northern Ireland)
Eusebio (Portugal)
Emilio Butragueno (Spain)
Raul (Spain)
George Weah (Liberia)

Feel free to suggest alterations - just thought it would be better to have something to work from. :)

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
I hate Monty Python, but Michael Palin is an absolutely legend..

An ace childhood memory was learning about the world by sitting in front of the fire watching his travel diaries from around the world, such as Sahara, Full Circle and Pole to Pole..

day 761, and Mmkxhosa leads me up the mountain with nothing but the skin of his feet for sustinance.. However we stopped at the Dalai Lama's house for afternoon tea and scones

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
I hate Monty Python, but Michael Palin is an absolutely legend..

An ace childhood memory was learning about the world by sitting in front of the fire watching his travel diaries from around the world, such as Sahara, Full Circle and Pole to Pole..

day 761, and Mmkxhosa leads me up the mountain with nothing but the skin of his feet for sustinance.. However we stopped at the Dalai Lama's house for afternoon tea and scones
I loved those programmes too :)