• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best football goals you have seen

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am fairly new to football only following it with some regularity for the past year. So I will not state the best I have seen because it will be a very small insignificant list.

But what are the best you guys have seen?

a massive zebra

International Captain
If one was restricted to international matches only, these must come pretty near the top.

1970: Carlos Alberto's goal, Brazil 4 Italy 1
1986: Maradona's second goal, Argentina 2 England 1.
1988: Marco van Basten's volley, Holland 2 USSR 0.
1997: Roberto Carlos' free-kick, France 1 Brazil 1.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
1970: Carlos Alberto's goal, Brazil 4 Italy 1
1986: Maradona's second goal, Argentina 2 England 1.
1988: Marco van Basten's volley, Holland 2 USSR 0.
1997: Roberto Carlos' free-kick, France 1 Brazil 1.
great choices there mate, all fantastic goals....

although a personal favourite of mine was robert pires chip vs aston villa in the 2001-2002 season at villa park, one of the best goals i have ever seen, and a very personal favourite of mine from perhaps my personal favourite player of all time.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
ny guys of you saw quaters of WC 98** Holland-Argentina...Dennis Bergkamp
''89 2-1...WHAT A GOAL!

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
kwek said:
ny guys of you saw quaters of WC 98** Holland-Argentina...Dennis Bergkamp
''89 2-1...WHAT A GOAL!
Yes that was one of the greatest goals i remember seeing as it happened.

I remember george weah running almost the whole lenght of the pitch and scroing once aswell

but the best of all time has to be Nikos Dabizas stunnig own goal a bullet diving header after running halt the lengh of the pitch to get there

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
bergkamp is another fine fine player, one of the best ever in fact, his goal against argentina was superb, he scored one very similar to that against leicester for arsenal earlier that year, another very memorable goal for me....

also thierry henrys flick up and volley against man utd in 2001 was also a remarkable goal.

Majin

International Debutant
The first goal that came to mind that people might remember is that Euro 96 volley by Gazza, when he chipped the defender, ran around him and vollyed it home. Granted, it was against Scotland, but still. Other than that my memory is terrible. :)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Beckham against WImbledon 1996 because it had never been done before (it had been attempted by Pele, but he wasn't successful IIRC).
Bergkamp v Leicester stands out, as does the Carlos free-kick. Seen the van Basten one, that was incredible. Giggs against Arsenal in the FA Cup semi final replay stands out aswell, not least because we'd have lost the penalty shoot-out that would otherwise have followed because Schmeichel was injured and wouldn't have been up to much diving around.

BTW all these in no particular order

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pothas said:
but the best of all time has to be Nikos Dabizas stunnig own goal a bullet diving header after running halt the lengh of the pitch to get there
Nah, Lee Dixon in the early 90s.

1st game of the season, first minute.

"It was my first tocuh of the season, so I wanted to make it a good one" is how he described his 40-yard curling shot into the top right hand corner past David Seaman.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Wayne Rooney's 35-yard flying volley against Newcastle last year was something special, and Gerrard's against Middlesbrough on the same weekend was unbelievable.

However, of all the goals already mentioned, few goals touch Ryan Giggs' FA Cup Semi-Final effort against Arsenal in 1999 - second half of extra time, 1-1, and Giggs beats 6 men and lashes it home into the roof of the net. Astonishing.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Henry flicks the ball through the defenders legs, with his back to goal, beats the keeper, who had no idea.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Oh, and Scholes's goal (volley from corner from edge of box) v Bradford in 2000 wasn't bad. Couldn't believe it when Harry Redknapp came on and talked some **** about expecting him to do that every week!

steds

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
suprised that nobody has come in here making reference to egg chasing yet :p
Now that you mention it, when warming up on Friday, Jamie Lyon kicked one from nearly 10 metres behind the halfway line.