• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Sportsman in the world?

Craig

World Traveller
The whole doping allegations made against him are by the French media who are p*ssed off that American cyclists have won 10 out of the last 20 Tour de France's and none of their riders have been good enough to win their own race in 20 years and anybody you know's cycling knows that it isn't going to change any time soon (I can't see a Frenchman winning the race for at at least 5 years).

The other thing about Armstrong is that he also spends some of his many millions (ok I'm not sure of that exact amount) in helping pay for the random drug tests, now why would a guy who has something to hide help fund something so he can get himself caught?

Could it be shock horror that he trains harder then some of his rivals, has team mates working for him (and the best team in the bunch) and people (non cycling fans) don't realise it is much of a team sport as say a cricket XI, and unlike some of the French and non-French teams.

C_C

International Captain
The whole doping allegations made against him are by the French media who are p*ssed off that American cyclists have won 10 out of the last 20 Tour de France's and none of their riders have been good enough to win their own race in 20 years and anybody you know's cycling knows that it isn't going to change any time soon (I can't see a Frenchman winning the race for at at least 5 years).
Look, all this is irrelevant- who hates whom and who is seen holier-than-thou is irrelevant. What is relevant is what the blood/urine samples say. End of story. If Amstrong cheated and somebody can prove it, i dont care if its Bin laden, so long as the process is consistent and the conclusions irrevocable.

BB- i wouldnt put maradona in that category- i view doping in two categories- performance enhancing and drug habits. While i realise that both are banned, i wouldnt call people from the latter category cheaters. Its one thing when you juice yourself up to win a competition, that gives you a definite advantage over your competitors, its another thing taking cocaine or smoking pot...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
C_C said:
BB- i wouldnt put maradona in that category- i view doping in two categories- performance enhancing and drug habits. While i realise that both are banned, i wouldnt call people from the latter category cheaters. Its one thing when you juice yourself up to win a competition, that gives you a definite advantage over your competitors, its another thing taking cocaine or smoking pot...
TBF Maradona was caught doing both: Cocaine whilst playing for Napoli & then ephedrine (sp?) during the 1994 WC. I remember his bug-eyed celebration when he scored a goal before he was caught! He looked like he was on something..... :D

Craig

World Traveller
C_C said:
Look, all this is irrelevant- who hates whom and who is seen holier-than-thou is irrelevant. What is relevant is what the blood/urine samples say. End of story. If Amstrong cheated and somebody can prove it, i dont care if its Bin laden, so long as the process is consistent and the conclusions irrevocable.
Oh I agree with you with what you said in the last sentance. But my point is just because the French paper/s say that he tested positive doesn't mean he is when they have resentment against and will try and look for any dodgy theories and 'tests' , because of a variety of reasons. It isn't the first time they have done this so I have my doubts.

Why would he dope for when has too much to lose outside of cycling.

C_C

International Captain
Craig said:
Why would he dope for when has too much to lose outside of cycling.

The same reason why almost every single T&F player dopes- to get their moments of glory and 'hope' that they dont get caught and that they are the 'lucky ones' not to have extremely damaging side-effects.

C_C

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
TBF Maradona was caught doing both: Cocaine whilst playing for Napoli & then ephedrine (sp?) during the 1994 WC. I remember his bug-eyed celebration when he scored a goal before he was caught! He looked like he was on something..... :D
Oh i didnt know Maradona tested positive for performance enhancing drugs- i thought it was cocaine/heroin related stuff that while banned isnt performance enhancing.... my respect for Maradona has gone down several notches.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hoggy31 said:
Shane Warne is probably my biggest Idol at the moment despite of all the controversy
He is actually a bloody magnificent player. It's been a joy to watch him this summer. :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
He is actually a bloody magnificent player. It's been a joy to watch him this summer. :)
Sure has been. He's truly cemented his spot as one of the greats.

Craig

World Traveller
C_C said:
The same reason why almost every single T&F player dopes- to get their moments of glory and 'hope' that they dont get caught and that they are the 'lucky ones' not to have extremely damaging side-effects.
For starters:

1) The TdF directors said nobody tested positive in this year's Tour and I doubt almost every rider is pumped full of drugs.

2) You don't play in the Tour de France or any bike ride, you compete, not play cycling. If you want to enter in a cycling debate with me go and learn about it first (you may interested to know there more then one race per year other then the TdF and Armstrong was a world champion at age 21 and at the time not even completed the Tour let alone winning it).

C_C

International Captain
2) You don't play in the Tour de France or any bike ride, you compete, not play cycling. If you want to enter in a cycling debate with me go and learn about it first (you may interested to know there more then one race per year other then the TdF and Armstrong was a world champion at age 21 and at the time not even completed the Tour let alone winning it).
I am not a big cycling fan but it is no more 'playing' than athletics. Those guys arnt running for fun either. At the end of the day, the motivation and temptation for using performance enhancing illegal substances are the same across ALL sports that include a massive amount of physical work - be it explosive ( like sprint cycling or 100m racing) or endurance ( TdF or 5000m).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: Armstrong, haven't the actual doping authorites who were holding the samples come out and said that they were just 12 random samples, and there were no names attached to them?

Craig

World Traveller
twctopcat said:
Or in that case WG Grace (I believe he was a 400 yards champ before he went fat). Either way he is still one of my favourite cricketers ever.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Ian Thorpe or Michael thelps,hands down.
Greatest of all time ,Cassius clay,or more of late,the greatest,Mohamad ALI.

Footnote:::::: (r crowe) the cinderella man,what a movie for boxing and aginst the odds battler.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think it probably goes on who are your sporting heros more. To me I think Kelly Holmes has to be up there