Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rugby Sevens in the Olympics

Rugby Sevens in the Olympics

I heard they were going to include this in the Olympics.

Does anyone know if they have decided on it yet?

It would be a guarenteed Gold, Silver and Bronze for NZ

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    gold, cause surely they'd send out a boss team with all blacks included
    "Matt Damon"

Quote Originally Posted by nibbs
    gold, cause surely they'd send out a boss team with all blacks included

Nibbs I am saying that we will amost certainly win Gold and we will be so good that they would give us the silver and the bronze as well becasue we are so much better than anyone else at sevens

International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    Even though I would absolutely love to watch it at the Olympics, I dont believe it should be included. If it was, it would make for too many sports, and its not as if Rugby Sevens doesnt have enough tournaments by itself.

And yes, All Blacks probably would win if it sent its best team.
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaFreak2005
    Well Simon and Xavier hit on all the females but the ladies all want Kenny :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    all 3 of them?

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    NZ wouldn't necessarily win. anything can happen
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Would it be considered as not played in enough countries at a high level to be included as an Olympic sport.

Maybe that's true, but Baseball isn't played in a huge number of countries either but it is still an Olympic sport.

But of course, I'm just being biased because I want to have as many sports NZ has a chance of getting medals in as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    Maybe that's true, but Baseball isn't played in a huge number of countries either but it is still an Olympic sport.

But of course, I'm just being biased because I want to have as many sports NZ has a chance of getting medals in as possible!
    If USA played Rugby Sevens well, then you might be a chance of getting the sport into the Olympics...

Actually, seriously, if China did play it then you'd have a chance. The home country gets to push for sports they'd like to include, don't they? I know it works like that for the Commonwealth Games, where the selection of sports are a bit more flexible, however.

I think it would be good because the likes of Samoa, Fiji, Argentina, NZ who don't win many medals would all be a chance to win a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    If USA played Rugby Sevens well, then you might be a chance of getting the sport into the Olympics...
    Actually, seriously, if China did play it then you'd have a chance. The home country gets to push for sports they'd like to include, don't they? I know it works like that for the Commonwealth Games, where the selection of sports are a bit more flexible, however.
    They do.

Nibbs I am saying that we will amost certainly win Gold and we will be so good that they would give us the silver and the bronze as well becasue we are so much better than anyone else at sevens
    I don't want to spoil your party, but we don't hold the Sevens World Cup...
    Last edited by Smudge; 29-05-2005 at 02:54 AM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    If that is the case, how come you haven't dominated the World Sevens Tour for the last few years?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox

china does play rugby. they just played yesterday on our cricket ground against the presidents (of the club, that is) 15
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    I don't want to spoil your party, but we don't hold the Sevens World Cup...

I know that Voltman. The comment was really made in jest.

There are many competitive teams.

Kenya beat Australia once I think.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    If that is the case, how come you haven't dominated the World Sevens Tour for the last few years?

Um marc71178 i don't know what you are talking about. Fiji have beaten understrength NZ teams in the 7s world cups in the past but crrect me if i am wrong in stating that NZ has never lost the world sevens circuit and have dominated in both comenwealth games securing gold on both occasions and are on track to retain their tour crown once again.

I don't know when the World Sevens tour was introduced.. maybe five years ago possibly more. Winning it every year means you are fairly dominant marc71178

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It would present a bit of a quandry for the home nations as we compete as GB in the Olympics. Some of the Ireland team who are Ulstermen (Humphreys & Maggs for instance) would be eligible for us, but the rest would I'm guessing have to play for The Republic of Ireland.

It'd be good from a spreading the gospel of Rugby point of view, countries where there is a sizable minority into Rugby but who've been left behind by professionalism (USA, Canada, Romania) might invest in it a bit more if it became an Olympic sport.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information