• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Sevens in the Olympics

Blaze

Banned
I heard they were going to include this in the Olympics.

Does anyone know if they have decided on it yet?

It would be a guarenteed Gold, Silver and Bronze for NZ

Blaze

Banned
nibbs said:
gold, cause surely they'd send out a boss team with all blacks included

Nibbs I am saying that we will amost certainly win Gold and we will be so good that they would give us the silver and the bronze as well becasue we are so much better than anyone else at sevens

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Even though I would absolutely love to watch it at the Olympics, I dont believe it should be included. If it was, it would make for too many sports, and its not as if Rugby Sevens doesnt have enough tournaments by itself.

And yes, All Blacks probably would win if it sent its best team.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would it be considered as not played in enough countries at a high level to be included as an Olympic sport.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe that's true, but Baseball isn't played in a huge number of countries either but it is still an Olympic sport.

But of course, I'm just being biased because I want to have as many sports NZ has a chance of getting medals in as possible!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
_Ed_ said:
Maybe that's true, but Baseball isn't played in a huge number of countries either but it is still an Olympic sport.

But of course, I'm just being biased because I want to have as many sports NZ has a chance of getting medals in as possible!
If USA played Rugby Sevens well, then you might be a chance of getting the sport into the Olympics...

Actually, seriously, if China did play it then you'd have a chance. The home country gets to push for sports they'd like to include, don't they? I know it works like that for the Commonwealth Games, where the selection of sports are a bit more flexible, however.

Blaze

Banned
I think it would be good because the likes of Samoa, Fiji, Argentina, NZ who don't win many medals would all be a chance to win a medal.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
If USA played Rugby Sevens well, then you might be a chance of getting the sport into the Olympics...
Actually, seriously, if China did play it then you'd have a chance. The home country gets to push for sports they'd like to include, don't they? I know it works like that for the Commonwealth Games, where the selection of sports are a bit more flexible, however.
They do.

Nibbs I am saying that we will amost certainly win Gold and we will be so good that they would give us the silver and the bronze as well becasue we are so much better than anyone else at sevens
I don't want to spoil your party, but we don't hold the Sevens World Cup...

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
If that is the case, how come you haven't dominated the World Sevens Tour for the last few years?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:

china does play rugby. they just played yesterday on our cricket ground against the presidents (of the club, that is) 15

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
I don't want to spoil your party, but we don't hold the Sevens World Cup...

I know that Voltman. The comment was really made in jest.

There are many competitive teams.

Kenya beat Australia once I think.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
If that is the case, how come you haven't dominated the World Sevens Tour for the last few years?

Um marc71178 i don't know what you are talking about. Fiji have beaten understrength NZ teams in the 7s world cups in the past but crrect me if i am wrong in stating that NZ has never lost the world sevens circuit and have dominated in both comenwealth games securing gold on both occasions and are on track to retain their tour crown once again.

I don't know when the World Sevens tour was introduced.. maybe five years ago possibly more. Winning it every year means you are fairly dominant marc71178

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It would present a bit of a quandry for the home nations as we compete as GB in the Olympics. Some of the Ireland team who are Ulstermen (Humphreys & Maggs for instance) would be eligible for us, but the rest would I'm guessing have to play for The Republic of Ireland.

It'd be good from a spreading the gospel of Rugby point of view, countries where there is a sizable minority into Rugby but who've been left behind by professionalism (USA, Canada, Romania) might invest in it a bit more if it became an Olympic sport.

Blaze

Banned
And marc71178 I just looked at the overall standings this year and it made quite interesting reading. To date NZ have won all but 1 of the tournaments on the circuit (not including the World Cup) this year

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
It'd be good from a spreading the gospel of Rugby point of view, countries where there is a sizable minority into Rugby but who've been left behind by professionalism (USA, Canada, Romania) might invest in it a bit more if it became an Olympic sport.
And don't forget the pacific nations.. although they don't have much money to invest in it, it would still be a great opportunity for their naturally gifted athletes to shine on the world stage.

It would enhance Rugbys image IMO and expand the game. Emerging nations like Kenya would be right into it

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
And don't forget the pacific nations.. although they don't have much money to invest in it, it would still be a great opportunity for their naturally gifted athletes to shine on the world stage.

It would enhance Rugbys image IMO and expand the game. Emerging nations like Kenya would be right into it
I think Oz & NZ not harvesting off the Pacific Islands' best players might help them to be more competitive too.... :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
I don't know when the World Sevens tour was introduced.. maybe five years ago possibly more. Winning it every year means you are fairly dominant marc71178
And what have been the margins of victory - not dominant by a long stretch of the imagination, in effect by the winning of just 1 game for each of the last 2 series - to then suggest dominance on that basis and that you'd walk off with Gold is wrong.

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
I think Oz & NZ not harvesting off the Pacific Islands' best players might help them to be more competitive too.... :p

Haha true but at the end of the day it is their decisions and Aus and NZ would have given those players a great life and therefore they want to play for them to repay the country.

I don't blame the young pacific boys for wanting to become All Blacks. If they live here and they make that choice then it is fine by me.

Different story if it is blatent poaching and they don't live here