• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anzac day League Test

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mister Wright said:
You have to keep in mind that Lockyer has spent the best part of a decade at fullback and has only had just over a year at the crucial 5/8 position. I'm sure in Johns' first 3 years he would have been well and truely outplayed by opponents such as Stewart, Langer maybe even Sterling (if he was playing). However, he would have learnt from that and made him a great player. But greatest player ATM? I'm sorry that title cannot go to someone who can't stay on the park.
Johns was good, im sorry but its all over for him.
Sterling played briefly in 1992, Johns debuted in 1993, so they never met....
some people forget Johns played a lot of his rep carrer at hooker cause he wasnt considered a better halfback than Geoff Toovey for a long time... imo hes played in a time where there just hasnt been the quality of halves...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
Johns was good, im sorry but its all over for him.
Sterling played briefly in 1992, Johns debuted in 1993, so they never met....
some people forget Johns played a lot of his rep carrer at hooker cause he wasnt considered a better halfback than Geoff Toovey for a long time... imo hes played in a time where there just hasnt been the quality of halves...
I think the Geoff Toovey thing had something more to do with Bob Fulton being the coach and his obvious bias towards Manly players.

Simon

but it was for origin too remember, Fulton was only the coach of the test side...

ill never forget Jamie Goddard giving Johns a hiding at the MCG, the ****** deserved it...

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
but it was for origin too remember, Fulton was only the coach of the test side...

ill never forget Jamie Goddard giving Johns a hiding at the MCG, the ****** deserved it...
Yeah, but I'm sure the N.S.W. selectors were given their orders. Arthurson & Fulton are old Manly buddies and Arthurson was head of the NSWRL, he would of made sure Fulton got his way.

You're forgetting these were the times when the N.S.W. powerbrokers reigned with absolute power.

Simon

Mister Wright said:
Yeah, but I'm sure the N.S.W. selectors were given their orders. Arthurson & Fulton are old Manly buddies and Arthurson was head of the NSWRL, he would of made sure Fulton got his way.

You're forgetting these were the times when the N.S.W. powerbrokers reigned with absolute power.
yeh i get what ur trying to say, but im trying to point out that Johns hasnt always been as almighty and dominant as people believe he was.
he was brilliant between 98-01, imo its impossible to compare that to Langer who was brilliant 90-98, Stuart who was brilliant 89-97 and so on. he just hasnt had been the best for long enough...

psxpro

Banned
Mister Wright said:
But greatest player ATM? I'm sorry that title cannot go to someone who can't stay on the park.

I never called johhns the greatest player today, I said its between lockyear and Sonny-Bill.
Aklthough it hard to single out players ina team sport like league and usually only dynamic players get mentioned.

All i meant was when fit, anrew johns is easily the biggest match winner I've ever seen. I haven't been watching lwague for as long as rugby so I don't know about john's early career but I whenever ive seen him hes been amazing.

Mister Wright

psxpro said:
I never called johhns the greatest player today, I said its between lockyear and Sonny-Bill.
Aklthough it hard to single out players ina team sport like league and usually only dynamic players get mentioned.

All i meant was when fit, anrew johns is easily the biggest match winner I've ever seen. I haven't been watching lwague for as long as rugby so I don't know about john's early career but I whenever ive seen him hes been amazing.

Sonny who?

Seriously the guy has played a handfull of games and gets injured every 2nd game, how he can be claimed as the greatest player today is beyond me, it is a bit of a stretch.

Simon

when Sonny Bill achieves something let me know, he won a comp off the bench as a bit player in an excellent side....

Darren Lockyer has:
won 3 premierships
captained Qld to state of Origin series wins
captained Australia in an Ashes win on the Roo tour
captained Australia in a tri nations series win
won the Golden Boot for Worlds best player
played over 200 first grade game
scored over 1000 first grade points
has won the dally m player of the year for his position 5 times (4 times as fb, once as 5/8)

and the list goes on...

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
yeh i get what ur trying to say, but im trying to point out that Johns hasnt always been as almighty and dominant as people believe he was.
he was brilliant between 98-01, imo its impossible to compare that to Langer who was brilliant 90-98, Stuart who was brilliant 89-97 and so on. he just hasnt had been the best for long enough...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stand up for Johns, he isn't the great player everyone makes him out to be, neither was Fittler. But Johns has done some amazing things in the game of Rugby League (on the field) and I think he has one of the best short-kicking games of any player in recent memory.

Simon

Mister Wright said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stand up for Johns, he isn't the great player everyone makes him out to be, neither was Fittler. But Johns has done some amazing things in the game of Rugby League (on the field) and I think he has one of the best short-kicking games of any player in recent memory.
thats what i mean, thats enough on the johns issue i think...

psxpro

Banned
broncoman said:
when Sonny Bill achieves something let me know, he won a comp off the bench as a bit player in an excellent side....

They wouldn't have won the grand final without sonny-bill.

He was used from the bench, but in league the bench is used differently from rugby, he was used at crucuial times and made a big difference.

Every internationla match he has played has also been top quality.

If he wasn't so good then why do all the clubs want him and why do all great past players rate him so highly.

Hes done everything asked of him so far.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
the thing with johns is how they've all been big injuries, not soft tissue injuries like you tend to see when players get older. busted knee, jaw, neck (or was it back??), they're all sort of "freak" incidents. he's been stiffer than michael jackson at a wiggles concert.

Last edited:

Simon

psxpro said:
They wouldn't have won the grand final without sonny-bill.

He was used from the bench, but in league the bench is used differently from rugby, he was used at crucuial times and made a big difference.

Every internationla match he has played has also been top quality.

If he wasn't so good then why do all the clubs want him and why do all great past players rate him so highly.

Hes done everything asked of him so far.
they would have won without him for sure, Williams didnt have a big game anyway...

theres no doubt he has potential, but hes done nothing to warrant being called a top player yet... imo our top 5 players are
1. Darren Lockyer
2. Brett Kimmorley
3. Danny Buderus
4. Shane Webcke
5. Craig Wing

i didnt put Johns simply because hes played 15 games in the last 3 years...

Simon

vic_orthdox said:
the thing with johns is how they've all been big injuries, not soft tissue injuries like you tend to see when players get older. busted knee, jaw, neck (or was it back??), they're all sort of "freak" incidents. he's been stiffer than michael jackson at a wiggles concert.
oh thats terrible!
i was hoping we werent gonna have to resort to Michael Jackson jokes...

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
they would have won without him for sure, Williams didnt have a big game anyway...

theres no doubt he has potential, but hes done nothing to warrant being called a top player yet... imo our top 5 players are
1. Darren Lockyer
2. Brett Kimmorley
3. Danny Buderus
4. Shane Webcke
5. Craig Wing

i didnt put Johns simply because hes played 15 games in the last 3 years...
Being a bit kind to Buderus there aren't we? This isn't my Broncos bias coming in, put surely Pridis is a much more rounded player than Buderus.

Simon

Mister Wright said:
Being a bit kind to Buderus there aren't we? This isn't my Broncos bias coming in, put surely Pridis is a much more rounded player than Buderus.
no i dont think, Priddis is a good player, does some wonderful things, but my problem with him is the ammount of penalties he gives away, i read something a few weeks ago saying in 2003 and 2004 he was the most penalised player in the NRL, so for the panthers game against Souths i watched closely and he really does hurt his team a lot. Buderus is an outstanding player imo, almost good enough to be a Queenslander :p

Mister Wright

psxpro said:
You must have been watching a differen game, sonny-bill had an outstanding final.
So someone actually watched that final? I can't be bothered watching a night final, what's the point all the atmosphere is taken out of the game - no BBQ, have to work the next day.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
I'd definetly pick Pridis over Buderus.

Simon

psxpro said:
You must have been watching a differen game, sonny-bill had an outstanding final.
media hype, the 9 commentary team have an orgasm everytime he touches the ball.
Some people are easily convinced by halfwits like Peter Sterling and Paul Harragon...