• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's National Sport

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
social said:
League is not expanding, it is contracting.

It is a game played by some of the world's best athletes, the majority of whom are neanderthals, and administered by past players. That is the problem.

AND I LOVE LEAGUE.
league is expanding, it will add a 16th team by 2007, they are going to back to Perth to play matches and the introduction of more regular tri series competitions means a better standard international game...

its easy for people to say league is dying when u look at the state of the game from 6 or 7 years ago and if u pay attention to muppet playrs like Willie Mason and Mark Gasnier, but on the field, while the game is good people will keep turning up and league wont die...

Triple Crown

Cricket Spectator
BoyBrumby said:
Yeah, reduce the teams to, say 13-a-side, do away with rucks & mauls and.....hang on..... :D
Or rubber studs, drop 2 players to 11 a side, round ball, no touching with hand....oh wait a minute.......... :D

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
league is expanding, it will add a 16th team by 2007, they are going to back to Perth to play matches and the introduction of more regular tri series competitions means a better standard international game...

its easy for people to say league is dying when u look at the state of the game from 6 or 7 years ago and if u pay attention to muppet playrs like Willie Mason and Mark Gasnier, but on the field, while the game is good people will keep turning up and league wont die...
Exactly. I had only been to about 2 NRL games before the 2003 season, I have been to more than 2 games in each of the past 2 seasons, mainly due to the upgrade at Suncorp Stadium, but also because there is a greater competition in the NRL & I like to see the Baby Broncos play.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeh thats right kyle, people will keep turning up because of the standard of play on the field, thats one thing the NRL has over afl and union, it may not get crowd figures and equal funds, but its a far superior standard of play...
I went to 7 games last year and 11 the year before, i live some 3 hours from the nearest ground, but im always gonna make an effort to get there...

David

International 12th Man
Triple Crown said:
10-15 years from now cricket will still be Australia's national sport. Soccer & Rugby Union will be the dominant footy codes. League will be dead & have to merge with Rugby Union to survive & no one will give a **** about Aussie Rules aside from Melbourne.
No-one will care about Aussie Rules except for Melbourne? You've obviously never been to Perth, and I reckon South Australia is probably worse. Absolutely mad about the game over here.

Q. Which sport has a national leage involving a team from every state & territory, male and female? Hockey

No other sport in Australia can claim the same, therefore, it'll be our national sport :p :ph34r:

Last edited:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Hmm I think Rich has nailed it on the head. Aussies love all kinds of sport, there probably isnt one national sport.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
benchmark00 said:
Hmm i think he's trying to say that our national sport is 'Kiwi And Pom bashing'... you dig?
Ah, ok. Currently digging.

As for Kiwi and Pom bashing, here here. But really, we do that through sport most of the time anyway.

dro87

U19 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
England has clearly defined Football as its national sport.. In SA and NZ rugby is king ..

Hard to tell with Australia, because their public seem so enthusiastic for loads of sports..

Is cricket the national sport of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe? I'm pretty sure it's the major sport of India and pakistan too... It became Sri Lanka's main sport since 1996...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
dro87 said:
Is cricket the national sport of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe? I'm pretty sure it's the major sport of India and pakistan too... It became Sri Lanka's main sport since 1996...
I don't know about Bangladesh (I would guess it probably is cricket though), but I think football (soccer) is the biggest sport in Zimbabwe.

In India & Pakistan I bet field hockey runs cricket fairly close as the biggest sport.

What's second to football in Italy? I'd guess basketball. :)

dro87

U19 12th Man
BoyBrumby said:
I don't know about Bangladesh (I would guess it probably is cricket though), but I think football (soccer) is the biggest sport in Zimbabwe.

In India & Pakistan I bet field hockey runs cricket fairly close as the biggest sport.

What's second to football in Italy? I'd guess basketball. :)
actually it is bicycle... but basketball and volleyball come immedietly after...