• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**** UEFA Champions League Prediction ****

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
heartbreaking doesnt really describe it, we got into a situation where we could have won, but it just wasnt meant to be. Im happy enough with the fact we made the semi finals and comprehensively out played AC Milan in the tie...

and how bout that last goal by Cocu :-O wasnt that a cracker!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
broncoman said:
heartbreaking doesnt really describe it, we got into a situation where we could have won, but it just wasnt meant to be. Im happy enough with the fact we made the semi finals and comprehensively out played AC Milan in the tie...

and how bout that last goal by Cocu :-O wasnt that a cracker!
That was awesome, yeah - probably quite a bit of luck involved but he certainly hit it perfectly :happy:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Surprise, surprise Mourinho is not taking his defeat humbly.

From the NZ herald website:

LIVERPOOL - Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho claimed "the best team lost" after Liverpool ditched his side out of the Champions League today.

Mourinho said Liverpool fans, who roared from start to finish, were magnificent but may have influenced the linesman, who signalled the fourth minute goal from Luis Garcia when his players felt the ball had not crossed the line.

"I felt (the support) was magnificent. It didn't interfere with my team but maybe it interfered with other people and maybe it interfered with the result. He made a mistake," said Mourinho, referring to Slovakian linesman Roman Slysko.

"Bring in the linesman and ask him why he gave a goal. To give a goal it has to be 100 per cent in and you have to be 100 per cent sure it was a goal.

"The best team lost that's for sure and didn't deserve to lose but football is sometimes cruel," said Mourinho, whose side wrapped up the English premier league title last weekend.

Chelsea had beaten Liverpool three times this season, including the League Cup final last February.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said he did not see the goal but suggested there should have been a penalty just before and also a red card for Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech, who brought down Czech compatriot Milan Baros in the build up to the goal.

The Spaniard said it was hard to describe in another language how good it felt to win.

He suggested the difficulties of moving to another culture meant Liverpool had not succeeded in the domestic league where they are 33 points behind Chelsea.

"In the Champions League we have played very well for most of it," he said.

Liverpool were considered underdogs against Bayer Leverkusen, Juventus and Chelsea but overcame them all.

He will be happy if they stay that way for the final against PSV Eindhoven or AC Milan on May 25 in Istanbul.

Milan lead by two goals going into tomorrow's (NZ time) second leg in Eindhoven.

I'm a Chelsea fan but I wasn't too disappointed that Liverpool won - it would be good to see them win the Champions League.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Of course the best team lost - the Premiership table suggests that Chelsea are a little superior to Liverpool. Not good enough on the night though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sportcentre Asia will supposedly have conclusive evidence about the controversial Luis Garcia goal using technology.

shaka

International Regular
Chelsea have so many strikers yet they could not put the ball in the net in two games against Liverpool.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pratyush said:
Sportcentre Asia will supposedly have conclusive evidence about the controversial Luis Garcia goal using technology.
not that it really matters now...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaka said:
Chelsea have so many strikers yet they could not put the ball in the net in two games against Liverpool.
That's because their strikers were utterly inept in both legs, Drogba especially. They didn't miss a hatful of chances, they just kept miscontrolling the ball or giving it away before anyone could create a chance.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
Of course the best team lost - the Premiership table suggests that Chelsea are a little superior to Liverpool. Not good enough on the night though.
Barcelona was also not good enough on the night versus Chelsea. Doesnt mean they were a poorer team than Chelsea. If Mourinho can claim Chelsea is the best team, I can claim Barca is the best team too.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
Barcelona was also not good enough on the night versus Chelsea. Doesnt mean they were a poorer team than Chelsea. If Mourinho can claim Chelsea is the best team, I can claim Barca is the best team too.
Chelsea's record in the CL this season: 6-2-4 (20 pts, 12 games)
Barcelona's record: 4-1-3 (13 pts, 8 games)

Add to that that one quarter-final they lost was due to complacency - they were 6-3 up in the tie and didn't bother to keep a clean sheet in injury time - plus the game they lost in the group stage was irrelevant (yes, I know Barca lost a game like that too)

I'd say Chelsea has been better over the whole season.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Sir Redman said:
I wasn't too disappointed that Liverpool won.
I definately was!

What a bunch of idiots Chelsea are - whenever I don't want them to win, they do (all season, although once United were out of it I wanted them to win) and whenever I do they don't (Birmingham game, Liverpool game).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Samuel_Vimes said:
Chelsea's record in the CL this season: 6-2-4 (20 pts, 12 games)
Barcelona's record: 4-1-3 (13 pts, 8 games)
I dont think the comparison would be fair considering different teams in different groups for the specific teams. For example Barca had AC Milan in its group who are the finalists at the moment.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I dont think the comparison would be fair considering different teams in different groups for the specific teams. For example Barca had AC Milan in its group who are the finalists at the moment.
They played 2 matches against AC, Chelsea played 2 against Liverpool who are also in the final...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
superkingdave said:
They played 2 matches against AC, Chelsea played 2 against Liverpool who are also in the final...
And Chelsea has played against the likes of Manchester United in the EPL, Barcelona have played the likes of Real Madrid.

I feel Barcelona is the best team despite the loss the same way Mourinho feels Chelsea is the best despite their loss. As Neil said for Chelsea losing because it was not their day, for me Barcelona had the same fate. On that day they werent good enough.

That is football.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
How can you base that claim on anything?

Chelsea and Liverpool can be compared on domestic league, Barcelona cannot be compared on that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
How can you base that claim on anything?

Chelsea and Liverpool can be compared on domestic league, Barcelona cannot be compared on that.
Which is why it is ironic why people jumped on me when I said Barcelona is the best team and tried to prove me wrong. People can have different opinions regarding which the best team is according to them.

Also, with the kind of record Barca has in the domestic league, like Chelsea, it is not an outlandish opinion to hold.