• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby League - International

steds

Hall of Fame Member
RIP. Was a great bloke, evidenced by 5,000 people turning up at Wigan St Pats to raise money for him.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
One of the most under-appreciated English sportsmen of all time died yesterday. Ex-Great Britain centre Duggie Greenall passed away at the age of 80. Greenall played for St Helens for 15 years, scoring 188 tries in 487 matches, before short spells at Wigan and Bradford Northern. Famed for his fierce tackling, during the 1954 Great Britain tour of Australia one of their newspapers ran the headline "Killer Greenall arrives today." Hasn't been mentioned anywhere. Not even the beeb, which is quite good for this sort of thing. He deserves to be remembered somewhere.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
2008 Super League Fantasy Comp

There's one this year being run by the good people at RLFANS.COM. Link:

http://fantasy.rlfans.com/

It's the first SL dream team I've seen on yer interweb, which either means it's long overdue or I haven't been looking hard enough. Whichever it is, I've entered a team & if there's sufficient interest I'll start a CW league. :)

Any NRL fans needn't feel left out as half the squads are Aussies. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play. I've set a league up on the basis of at least three of us giving it a go.

CW League

League ID: 179
Password: dire

Just click on the private leagues link and enter the ID & password.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
makes picking an entire aussie line up impossible. still managed to fit in about 7 former Raiders players...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll give it a go, despite my disgust with the sport in general at this point in time. Will probably forget about it after 4/5 weeks, but anyway.

Matteh

Coach Brian Noble
1 Paul Wellens
2 Younes Khattabi
3 Willie Talau
4 Darrell Goulding
5 Liam Colbon
6 Tommy Lee
7 Anthony Thackeray
8 Jason Cayless
9 George Gatis
10 Jérôme Guisset
11 Lee Mitchell
12 Matty Dale
13 Simon Grix

So then, what's wrong with this team?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Coach Brian Noble
1 Paul Wellens
2 Younes Khattabi
3 Willie Talau
4 Darrell Goulding
5 Liam Colbon
6 Tommy Lee
7 Anthony Thackeray
8 Jason Cayless
9 George Gatis
10 Jérôme Guisset
11 Lee Mitchell
12 Matty Dale
13 Simon Grix

So then, what's wrong with this team?
You might wanna select a few more players who actually play, maybe. :p

Dale & Thackeray hardly played for Hull last year, although Thackeray's gone to Castleford now so might get more of a run. Grix & Mitchell are both more squad players too. Colbon & Goulding might be good signings tho (depending on price) 'cos they played for Wigan more towards the end of the season.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
  • Your halves are dire and won't get much playing time
  • Nor will Mitchell and Dale and possibly Grix
  • Cayless is ridiculously overpriced and you could pick up a prop who'd score as many points in wins (such as any of Leeds' props or any of the other Saints ones) or who'd score more points in tries (such as Coley) for far less
  • Colbon will have a job to gain a regular spot ahead of Balsawood and Richards
  • Talau's great, but getting on a bit and more of a defensive player than a try scorer. Couple of better priced options
  • You don't have a regular goalkicker (apart from Wellens, who shares time with anyone else who's willing whenever Sculthorpe's injured and Tyrer isn't playing)

Matteh

Swapped Cayless with Leulaui, Talua with Whatuira, Grix with Lupton, Colbon for Hall, Thackeray for Webster.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
NUFAN DO IT
Coach Terry Matterson £85,000 0 Castleford
1 Paul Wellens £200,000 0 St. Helens
2 Pat Richards £200,000 0 Wigan
3 Jake Webster £160,000 0 Hull KR
4 Jean-Phillippe Baile £50,000 0 Catalans
5 Justin Murphy £160,000 0 Catalans
6 Thomas Bosc £175,000 0 Catalans
7 Lee Briers £250,000 0 Warrington
8 Ryan Boyle £60,000 0 Castleford
9 Tevita Leo-Latu £110,000 0 Wakefield
10 Matt Duckworth £50,000 0 Castleford
11 Ali Lauitiiti £190,000 0 Leeds
12 Jason Netherton £55,000 0 Hull KR
13 Paul Sculthorpe £245,000 0 St. Helens

I like my backs apart from Jean-Phillippe Baile who is picked solely on his name.

Forwards are crap apart from Sculthorpe and Lauititi. Never played the game before, but I think picking a few goalkickers is a good move, so that's what I've tried to do.