• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Ali TT

International Debutant
Apparently Borthwick has discovered that if you kick more times than your opponent you're more likely to win than lose. That sounds like the type of analytical insight England's cricket team employed a decade ago when they figured 235 was the total to aim for in ODIs.

Saying that, I kinda figured that whoever replaced Jones would be doing a lot of turd polishing and nothing from watching England in the past 3 games has suggested otherwise.

Molehill

International Captain
Wouldn't necessarily dispute that, which is why it's so frustrating Farrell kicking away possession every single time.

I'm pleased to be moaning about a performance in victory, don't get me wrong, but just not sure we're moving forwards.
There needs to be some kind of punishment for any England player choosing to kick it in the opponent's 22. Why on earth do they keep doing it?

It was a better performance yesterday and they should've won by a lot more. That said, Wales are an abysmal side who ought to lose in Italy too.

England v France will be an interesting game that could go either way.

Ali TT

International Debutant
There needs to be some kind of punishment for any England player choosing to kick it in the opponent's 22. Why on earth do they keep doing it?

It was a better performance yesterday and they should've won by a lot more. That said, Wales are an abysmal side who ought to lose in Italy too.

England v France will be an interesting game that could go either way.
Can't see us beating the French unless we really up our game. Them knock is backwards at the breakdown then run through our backline.

Entertaining match today but Scotland went too far trying to keep the ball live and moving. Cost them dear.

Molehill

International Captain
Can't see us beating the French unless we really up our game. Them knock is backwards at the breakdown then run through our backline.

Entertaining match today but Scotland went too far trying to keep the ball live and moving. Cost them dear.
France don't have an especially great recent record in Twickenham. England should've beaten Scotland and have improved since then. France to be honest haven't been as good as I thought they were so far. Struggled against Italy, well beaten in the end in Ireland and took a long time to put Scotland to bed. I really think this is a tough one to cal.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Gutted Courtney's out again. Relieved it's not another head injury at least though as that would likely have been end of career. Hope it's nothing too serious this time. We need you big man.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Apparently Borthwick has discovered that if you kick more times than your opponent you're more likely to win than lose. That sounds like the type of analytical insight England's cricket team employed a decade ago when they figured 235 was the total to aim for in ODIs.

Saying that, I kinda figured that whoever replaced Jones would be doing a lot of turd polishing and nothing from watching England in the past 3 games has suggested otherwise.
My understanding is that it's pretty well known that Jones and several other international coaches approach the game on the same basis.

Ali TT

International Debutant
My understanding is that it's pretty well known that Jones and several other international coaches approach the game on the same basis.
Well by the end it wasn't working for Jones. I wonder if there's a quality consideration alongside quantity?

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Well by the end it wasn't working for Jones. I wonder if there's a quality consideration alongside quantity?
Yes agreed.
Would be great to see England play the kind of attacking running rugby on display in Italy v Ireland. I suppose these things take time though, so a bit early to judge I'd day.

Molehill

International Captain
It's basically the Saracens strategy. But they had a dominant pack who would win scrum penalties from the various knock ons you get from effectively chasing kicks. England don't have a dominant pack at the moment which largely renders the strategy pointless other than a means of clearing your lines. As soon as you get to the halfway line you need to keep ball in hand.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think we'd appreciate the referee calling a merciful end to proceedings at half time today. We are looking completely out of our depth against these blokes.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't ever recall being 24 points down at half time at the old cabbage patch before.

France are very good, but England (and, sad to say, her new coach) not up to it at all.

Consistency in selection is a bit of a double edged sword, but muddled selection is easy to spot. A fortnight ago Smith isn't deemed worthy of a spot in the XXIII west of Offa's Dyke, and now he's starting against the #2 team in world rugby?

It's a bad look, especially when he's been as loose as he has.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Think they'll score early to put the game to bed, make a few subs from 55 mins on and we'll run in (or, more likely, barge over) a couple of consolations.
That's about 20 fewer than my forecast. I don't see them easing off against tiring opponents, especially when it's their nearest and dearest neighbours.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Lol I was about to post that this is the ****test England team since Borthwick was a player.

In 10 years time the Jones era is going to be looked back on with very rosy eyes.