• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Dendarii

International Debutant
Casting an eye over the South African team:

Props: It's almost unfair to have that front row as a replacement. I do wonder if it might have worked better the other way round as I think that Kitshoff and Malherbe are the better scrummagers while Nche and Nyakane are more mobile and perhaps better suited to come on when the game has opened up and the opposition has tired. But in reality, any way round would work.
Locks: De Jager was preferred over Mostert as a starter in the World Cup, but he has only recently come back from injury, so that's a fair call. And as with the props, any combination of locks will be quite formidable.
Loose trio: Vermuelen is a big loss, and Smith isn't a like-for-like replacement, so that changes the balance a bit. However, in a recent Squidge Rugby video he pointed out how Vermuelen plays a bit role in organising the defence, and that Smith's analytic abilities are quite highly rated. So in that respect his selection makes sense over other options like Jasper Wiese and Dan du Preez.
Bench: I'm not a big fan of Elstadt but he does offer cover for both lock and loose forward, so having that flexibility does help given that they've gone back to a 5/3 split.

And while there has been talk about doing that given how well the 6/2 split worked at the World Cup, I think people have forgotten that they started off with 5/3 and it was only as the tournament went on that they hit upon the notion of the Bomb Squad. But given the COVID cases in the squad, I can understand why they might have wanted the extra back for this match, and we may very well see 6/2 for at least one of the other matches as it does look like they might be grooming Willemse to take over from Steyn as the cover for multiple backline spots.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The RSA front row is about 20kgs lighter than their opposition which is pretty unusual for the Springboks.

Speaking of what you usually get from that part of the world, is there anything more unecessary than describing the running slab of blond that is Duhan van der Merwe as 'South African born'? How could he possibly be from anywhere else?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cagey stuff, the first twenty.

6-3 to RSA.

Biggest moment for me was Itoje trying to run over Etzebeth and du Toit, and being held up by the two slabs of Bok beef.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Big call on the RSA (non) try too.

Thought we got to the right decision for the wrong reason. Le Roux was behind the kicker's boot IMHO, but the pass immediately before was forward.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Big call on the RSA (non) try too.

Thought we got to the right decision for the wrong reason. Le Roux was behind the kicker's boot IMHO, but the pass immediately before was forward.
Both calls really on the borderline, so while it's not supposed to happen that way, saying no try does make you more likely to be right.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dunno. The Boks are infringing more, which is usually a sign of a team on the back foot.

Some good carries from Big Courts too. Looking more like an 8 than Conan.
It's taken a while for them to catch up with the Lions penalties conceded from the first half, in my defence. But the forward game does tell the story of the tide turning, just perhaps.

~

Dan Biggar isn't someone I've given a lot of credit to in the past, and I'm not sure I plan on doing that in the future, but he does have a habit of rising to the occasion. Cool head on his shoulders.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bloody hell. The defence in the last 10 there was awesome.

Sprinboks might've run out of gas or something, I was surprised by how sloppy they'd become, but that's what happens when you are under pressure at the back end of a game. I think they might've been out-planned here. They had the edge in the contact for the entire first half, so a flat out refusal to run into contact took away that advantage. Lions set piece was immaculate in the second half too to back it up.

I'm sure there will be fingers pointed at us having the better of the TMO decisions, but that's only true in volume. I don't think any decision was a poor one on the tries.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was a great turnaround in the second half.

I think such moments can be overstated, but Wyn Jones's call to kick for touch at 12-3 down with three easy-ish points on offer was a statement of intent.

Of course it looked a lot better when the maul worked and LC-D (just) dotted down.

Mako made a huge difference when he came on too. Was typically busy in the loose, but he properly front up at the set piece as well.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Sprinboks might've run out of gas or something, I was surprised by how sloppy they'd become, but that's what happens when you are under pressure at the back end of a game.
I wonder how much that might have had to do with them being a little undercooked going into the match. Their preparation has been heavily disrupted, which isn't what you want going into a match against he Lions.

I'm sure there will be fingers pointed at us having the better of the TMO decisions, but that's only true in volume. I don't think any decision was a poor one on the tries.
Given the talk ahead of the match about having a South African TMO, I'm glad the decisions went the way they did. I think the calls were the right ones (except for maybe it being a forward pass rather than offside as has already been brought up), so that potential area of controversy turned out to be a non-starter.