• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

the big bambino

International Captain
Yes. White is boring but seemingly a winner. I've watched the Brumbies at home all season and if he can get our ordinary bunch of players into a final he might be able to do the same with the wallabies.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yes. White is boring but seemingly a winner. I've watched the Brumbies at home all season and if he can get our ordinary bunch of players into a final he might be able to do the same with the wallabies.
I suppose it's similar to the England Football Team. After a foreign manager, they really wanted somebody local despite White having a lot more experience at top level rugby.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia played well for a while, but boy what's happened to their attack since the Lions tour? Obviously with McKenzie taking over, you'd expect a bit of rustiness but not as much as has been shown across these past two Tests.

Will be very interesting to see how they go against the Springboks in a couple of weeks. Any Aussie fans already regretting McKenzie's appointment over Jake White?
No, McKenzie deserved it as he has a stellar domestic record

Oz created plenty of opportunities last night but didn't capitalize and the coach cant be held responsible for a bunch of highly paid pros making a bunch of schoolboy errors every time they take the field

James

Cricket Web Owner
No, McKenzie deserved it as he has a stellar domestic record

Oz created plenty of opportunities last night but didn't capitalize and the coach cant be held responsible for a bunch of highly paid pros making a bunch of schoolboy errors every time they take the field
You'd have to question though whether the players the Wallabies have can play the type of game McKenzie is wanting them to play. Do they have the ball skills? The way they're playing, they just play right into the All Blacks hands. McKenzie needs to remember this isn't Super Rugby, its International Rugby and its a massive step up.

With Argentina's improved performance over night, you'd expect them to push the Wallabies very close.

the big bambino

International Captain
Just as no one in the paid positions to know these things realised just how bad a shape our cricket was in from 2009, we are similarly unaware just how badly our rugby is going. Our players appear talented but they are continually shown up in skills and commitment by their opponents. A lot of them, but most especially Beale and O'Connor, seem to love themselves more than anything. The Wallabies are a hard team for a fan to follow atm and I hope link can improve the play and attitude. Just not confident he can.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's a bit odd too, given that they've picked half the Brumbies backline. A fair few of them look like they aren't used to such a high-tempo gameplan.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It's a bit odd too, given that they've picked half the Brumbies backline. A fair few of them look like they aren't used to such a high-tempo gameplan.
Yeah, and that's my point. I don't think you can pick players who are used to playing one way, and suddenly expect them to play another way.

The only way to beat the All Blacks I think is to smash them up the middle and the Wallabies forwards simply don't have that among them. The Aussie scrum and lineup are going to struggle even more in a couple of weeks than it did last night.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Only way to beat the ABs is to out passion them and bring more motivation and emotion to the game. Typically this is more possible in world cup knock out games when players know they will remember the game forever and people play above their normal abilities.

What I have noticed in the 1st two games - is that the Wallabies struggled to make the gain line from 3rd and 4th phase ball. While the ABs just pass it to anybody and use sheer athleticism to make meters. The ABs often have better athletes 1 through 15.

The other issue I would like to point out is that the ABs will do anything to win fair or foul. See Keiran Read's professional foul last night. And two All Blacks forwards infringing badly in a ruck last week to give way 3 points instead of a certain 7. For other teams to win the referees would have to be prepared to call us out for this.

social

Only way to beat the ABs is to out passion them and bring more motivation and emotion to the game. Typically this is more possible in world cup knock out games when players know they will remember the game forever and people play above their normal abilities.

What I have noticed in the 1st two games - is that the Wallabies struggled to make the gain line from 3rd and 4th phase ball. While the ABs just pass it to anybody and use sheer athleticism to make meters. The ABs often have better athletes 1 through 15.

The other issue I would like to point out is that the ABs will do anything to win fair or foul. See Keiran Read's professional foul last night. And two All Blacks forwards infringing badly in a ruck last week to give way 3 points instead of a certain 7. For other teams to win the referees would have to be prepared to call us out for this.
Has been happening forever

At least 2 ABs should have been binned last night for professional fouls but the refs just don't want to know and especially in NZ

Anyway, as in most things rugby, the ABs are just better at it so there's no use complaining

the big bambino

International Captain
They are not. The Brumbies have been a clumsy side incapable of passing and catching properly. Hence the back line play is no more than shift the ball in a link from breakdown to wing in a link bcos anything with flair is beyond them. White managed to work with dross and almost won the pot of gold. But as has been mentioned to a different game plan Link prefers.

Spark

Global Moderator
They are not. The Brumbies have been a clumsy side incapable of passing and catching properly. Hence the back line play is no more than shift the ball in a link from breakdown to wing in a link bcos anything with flair is beyond them. White managed to work with dross and almost won the pot of gold. But as has been mentioned to a different game plan Link prefers.
Yeah indeed. I mean, it's simple and effective and it works brilliantly for us, but if McKenzie wants the Wallabies to play like Reds then he should pick Reds.

Not that will matter much whilst we get so hilariously out-matched up front, ofc.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Has been happening forever
This is how I felt about the Aussie league and cricket teams of the 1980s when they were playing at home with their own officials.

One league series we were actually winning - so they decided to beat us up. After the mass brawl we never recovered our momentum. The refs gave all the penalties for the brawl to the kiwis too even though we lost the fight.

It is true that we have been doing it forever too. And I can distinctly remember Murray Peirce telling us that Skylab would not be winning any lineouts in a return bledisloe cup fixture. And he didn't Cutler didn't catch a single ball all game long despite being 6 foot 8 or however tall he was. Afterwards Peirce spoke with impunity and basically admitted to jersey pulling and rabbit punches to the ribs to keep him under control.

"It is not tiddlywinks"

HeathDavisSpeed

I think McKenzie is in the right and needs to do a much more effective job at working the media and the refs not after the horse has bolted.
You would think that.

Though I concede that having now seen the Reid infringement that I can't quite understand how he got away with such a blatant infringement.

However, neither the ref nor touch judge saw the Nonu shoulder incident, so quite how they're supposed to bin someone for that, I have no idea. There are post-match processes to censure players for such behaviour - and it was thought not severe enough to warrant a red card (which I agree with) and so nothing will come of it. Unlucky for the Wobblies, but them's the breaks. The Reid one's a different kettle of fish as the ref clearly saw the infringement but saw it differently to most impartial viewers.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I was never fussed about the Nonu incident and I don't think McKenzie is either. He just included it to strengthen his case through weight of numbers of examples.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was one of the best Shield games I've seen in a long time. Awesome to see it going to teams and fans that really care about it, too - the crowd at Hamilton when Waikato lost it was pathetic. Dunedin put them to shame, and I expect the same from Napier.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This could be interesting.

The Beast and the du Plessies bros should utterly marmalise the Wobblies' front three, but what affect will the new scrum laws have?

If the Bok don't win at Suncorp today they never will.

James

Cricket Web Owner
That was one of the best Shield games I've seen in a long time. Awesome to see it going to teams and fans that really care about it, too - the crowd at Hamilton when Waikato lost it was pathetic. Dunedin put them to shame, and I expect the same from Napier.
Totally, the best game of rugby I've seen in a long time.

Tonight's Boks/Wallabies game is great as well, really enjoyed that first half. Hopefully the Boks can go on with it.