• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you think the West Indies should disband then?
I think using a cricket argument is a bit different to a rugby argument, given the West Indies are one of only ten test playing nations and the individual nations which make up the Windies would not, by themselves, achieve test status. In a rugby context the sum of the Pacific nations doesn't, at least in my view, form a side that much superior to Tonga/Samoa/Fiji playing as their own country, as well as the test caps awarded for matches involving Tonga/Samoa/Fiji anyway.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah good luck to them. It makes me pleased to see when people behave in a generous fashion and include another country in their competition for the growth of the sport. The 5 nations did it. And now the Tri Nations have done it.

I sometimes wonder if Argentina may have been better off joining the 6 nations because then they could have beaten up on Italy and had good games with which ever home nation was having a poor year. But geography advised that we were the better fit.
I think the other key advantage is that most of the Argentine players are associated with European clubs anyway. They'd certainly be pressing for a top four finish given the performances of the Irish, Scots and Italians in the last Six Nations. I guess much of the anti-Argentina crowd base their view on travel. From what I understand, travelling from SA to Argentina, and vice versa, involves going through relatively fewer timezone changes than from Europe. With Aus/NZ already having to visit SA, I guess from a travel perspective it might be more sensible to tag on Argentina to the Tri Nations than to the Six Nations, where travel is hardly a factor.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
They can compete but not topple one of the top teams.

If they competed as Pacific Islands they would be a legit chance to win the whole thing.
Well, Tonga beat France at the World Cup and Samoa beat Australia a few months prior. Fiji drew against Wales, in Wales, at the end of 2010. And if the top teams actually played in the Islands, the home crowds would certainly be a factor also, much like in Argentina.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The Tri Nations (or whatever its calling itself now the Argies have been enfranchised) starts again this weekend. Hope Los Pumas put on a good show and maybe sneak the odd win.

Find them altogether less disagreeable as a rugby nation than a football one.
I think their best chance of a victory comes at home against Australia in the final round. I think they'll struggle against South Africa and find travelling down under difficult. New Zealand will probably be too strong and have the advantage of playing with a rest week beforehand. So I'd be placing my money on Argentina, if they're to taste success, to beat Australia at the conclusion of the tournament.

Spark

Global Moderator
So I've watched 5 minutes and already the ABs have shredded our defence twice. Could be a long night, methinks...

EDIT Bloody hell. Schoolboy. Could so easily have been 3 tries instead of one...

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What were they thinking there?! High-jinks. Australia lucky to come out of that unscathed.

Spark

Global Moderator
/facepalm

How do you **** those up? Srsly.

Edit: Indeed.

EDIT2: Oh, and can someone tell the Wallabies that the pitch is greater than 30m wide.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woeful game. Shouldn't have bothered watching it, but you just hope that two teams like this can pull it together. Over officious refereeing didn't help either but still...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wallabies are a horrible outfit

Cant blame him for everything but they have gone nowhere under Deans

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My hatred for Aaron Smith dissapated in the 2nd half when he started doing his job and doing it well.

Badly wanted Hooper to get on the field.

Pathetic handling by the Wallabies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wallabies are a horrible outfit

Cant blame him for everything but they have gone nowhere under Deans
It's a 100+ year culture of mediocrity mate, interspersed with once every quarter century short periods of excellence. The plaything of the Bunyip Aristocracy.

90% of Australians rightly care nothing for it. NZ & SA have the right rugby culture because they draw their players from right across the social spectrum, not from Toff schools where kids have their arses wiped for them.

Anyway, that's me on this thread for the year. I'll pop back in to make the same point next season when the Australian rugby fans are lifted home from the ground in their sedan chairs, wonder why the Woefuls have lost again and try to figure out why no one really gives a ****.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Yep, league sure pulls blokes from all corners. Rapists, drug peddlers, tax cheats, wife bashers it's got it all. Must be why the game is so widely loved across the Worl...Austra...Queensland, NSW and tiny patch of England.

I mean why would you play rugby and travel to places like NZ, South Africa and Argentina every second week when you can play top flight league and travel to exotic places like Campbelltown, Penrith and Townsville.

Looking forward to the next world cup with Jarryd Hayne playing for Fiji in the pools and Australia in the finals, hell maybe he can even play for Queensland next year.

Wallabies beaten and beaten well, Hopefully next week is a better game, can see the Ab's running 40 past us if they click. Word is Pocock is out as well with knee damage - huge loss.