• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah, can't see SA winning in Dublin. Empty seats may help them though.

That said, Brussow out means a lot more than Schalk 'see-how-quickly-I-can-get-sent-off' Burger.

ripper868

International Coach
Potgieter a handy replacement though, wouldn't go writing the Bokke off just yet....secretly hoping the Irish do beat them though, my second favourite team are the Irish

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Potgieter a handy replacement though, wouldn't go writing the Bokke off just yet....secretly hoping the Irish do beat them though, my second favourite team are the Irish
Not in the squad. Deon Stegmann will debut.

And the Bok's got no fit centres left in the Republic (Fourie, Wynard and JdJ all out), so fullback Zane Kirchner will play 13 and Pat Lambie will play 12 if JdV is ruled out. Adi Jacobs is on the bench for the Boks that despite playing about 20 minutes in all of the Sharks Currie Cup campaign. Frans Steyn could easily fit in at centre but he can't join up with the squad until after the Irish game.

If it wasn't for the Boks back row, I would seriously lump on the Micks.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ahh...jokes on me for not looking at the squad...What bout Aplon, Van de heever?
Aplon is at 15 for the Ireland game. Van de Heever not in the squad. Bjorn Basson who will play for the Bulls in Super 15 next year and was the leading try-scorer in the Currie Cup will start on the wing against Ireland.

Bok squad:

Forwards: Willem Alberts, Bakkies Botha, Keegan Daniel, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Alistair Hargreaves, Ryan Kankowski, Victor Matfield, Tendai Mtawarira, Coenie Oosthuizen, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Juan Smith, Pierre Spies, Deon Stegmann, Adriaan Strauss, CJ van der Linde, Flip van der Merwe.

Backs: Gio Aplon, Bjorn Basson, Jean de Villiers, Francois Hougaard, Bryan Habana, Adrian Jacobs, Elton Jantjies, Zane Kirchner, Patrick Lambie, Lwazi Mvovo, Ruan Pienaar, Frans Steyn, Morne Steyn.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I just noticed Dagg has signed with the Crusaders for next year and beyond (yes I'm a couple months late i know)...**** me the All Bla...sorry crusaders will be a massive force next year.
I did a quick outline of the Crusaders first choice XV (IMO): B.Franks, Flynn, O.Franks, Thorn, S.Whitelock, G.Whitelock, McCaw, Read, Ellis, Carter, Guildford, SBW, Fruean, Maitland, Dagg. Essentially the only non ABs will be Fruean (who was unlucky to miss out on selection for the end of year tour anyway) and Sean Maitland (a very promising player in his own right). I'm not sure how the Bulls are shaping up but I wouldn't mind placing an early bet that the Crusaders and Bulls will be the two powerhouses in 2011.

ripper868

International Coach
Nearly regretting my decision to back the Boks looking at that squad.

On the Crusaders...surely there is some sort of rule about stacking one team full of AB's in a world cup year...they are effectively goin gto have about 24 games together to get it right for the cup...Then again, the Reds have all the wallabies that will be playing at the WC anyway so it's all swings and roundabouts :ph34r:

Would love to see how much money is behind that Crusaders team, must have some seriously deep pockets/friends in high places to bring that bunch together.

Crusaders/Reds Final IMO

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Nearly regretting my decision to back the Boks looking at that squad.

On the Crusaders...surely there is some sort of rule about stacking one team full of AB's in a world cup year...they are effectively goin gto have about 24 games together to get it right for the cup...Then again, the Reds have all the wallabies that will be playing at the WC anyway so it's all swings and roundabouts :ph34r:

Would love to see how much money is behind that Crusaders team, must have some seriously deep pockets/friends in high places to bring that bunch together.

Crusaders/Reds Final IMO
You might find it interesting to know that in 2002 15 of the All Blacks in the end of year tour squad were from the Crusaders; this year its only nine, so its certainly not unusual for the Crusaders to be dominated by All Blacks. I will comment that I'm not a big fan of the likes of Guildford and Dagg signing for them, given they're both Hawkes Bay players and yet playing in a completely different area of the country for their Super Rugby. I guess that stems from feeling a bit sorry for a player like Colin Slade who plays for Canterbury in the ITM Cup and would otherwise have appeared for the Crusaders, but effectively had to sign with another franchise (the Highlanders) to get any real gametime next year.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah there is no doubt the saders are the NZ 'flagship' i suppose, was more just shocked that Dagg had signed for them, makes an already incredible team that much better. Especially given Dagg was a player the Highlanders could have built a team around (as well as Cowan and now Slade)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty pumped for this. Not expecting to win, but hope we manage to back up the good work from Sydney.

Not giving too much away in saying I think we'll keep it tight, and hope for some magic from Youngs or Foden. ABs have much better tight five than the Wobblies tho.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jeez Gear's ****ing quick. **** off the proverbial wet shovel doesn't begin to cover it.

Some things never change tho: Wally can't throw into a line out for toffee still. 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh ffs the BBC have started including the ****ing Scottish ****e in the football updates. Who gives a **** about that 2 team tinpot league where the 2 teams get dominated every time they bugger off from the home comforts of Glasgow and it's awe-inspiring post apocalyptic slums.
Don't sully our thread with your round ball filth. :ph34r:

Hartley's was a double movement if ever there was. Taking it tho. Cole shredding Woodcock in the scrum too, which is good to see. He's a beast, the boy.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wallabies reverting to type against Wales - attacking flair just about compensating for shocking scrum

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty pumped for this. Not expecting to win, but hope we manage to back up the good work from Sydney.

Not giving too much away in saying I think we'll keep it tight, and hope for some magic from Youngs or Foden. ABs have much better tight five than the Wobblies tho.
Great call BB. :laugh: The most unexpected of tactics from England, great attitude it must be said to move the ball as much as they did. Sure their execution let them down a bit but its certainly the way to play under these law interpretations.
Jeez Gear's ****ing quick. **** off the proverbial wet shovel doesn't begin to cover it.

Some things never change tho: Wally can't throw into a line out for toffee still. 8-)
Gear was fantastic in that first half, he does that every week in ITM Cup against weaker defences and looks a million dollars. Impressive workrate from Rokocoko too.
Try every day. Well played TMO.

Wondereful offload from SBW that made it beforehand. Boy's gonna be so, so good.
Didn't think it was a try personally, too much doubt for my liking. The offload was magical though - didn't expect SBW to play the full 80 minutes and although he didn't see the ball so much in the second 40, its a solid debut he'll remember.

Hartley's was a double movement if ever there was. Taking it tho. Cole shredding Woodcock in the scrum too, which is good to see. He's a beast, the boy.
Shocking call, have they not heard of double movements in Italy? SBW taken out in the build-up to it too, and Nisbett was convinced one of the English players was in front of the kick anyway. Evened things up after the Gear try I suppose.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Few other notes - the first 5 minutes of the second half is the worst passage of play since...well, since watching Stephen Donald last weekend. But it was still pretty bad. Speaking of Donald, bit ironic that he wasn't called upon to finish the match off as in Hong Kong...

For all the Toeava haters, what a sensational tackle on Hape with five or so minutes remaining. :happy:

I think Carter was awarded MOTM but for his 60 minutes Sam Whitelock was the best player on the field IMO. Compared to another Canterburian, Isaac Ross, hes so much more involved in general play, still a presence with ball in hand and was impressive in the line-out.

Scrum a clear issue - I'm certainly no expert when it comes to the front row and I'm sure we didn't deserve to be penalised to the extent we were, but for the most part I thought England had the better scrum. Just as well because having Thompson and Sheridan in open play is so much of a disadvantage that they need to compensate for it somehow. :ph34r:

Finally, was really surprised England kept persisting with such an attacking mindset. I imagined that after setting the ground running in the first 20 minutes that the effects of playing so much with ball in hand would suit the ABs but I don't think its unfair to say that England easily finished the strongest (and not disimilar to the Wallabies last week).

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Worrying signs for Australia with that scrum. That's a complete reversion back to the days of Dunning and Baxter!

Other than that...

Seriously how awesome is Kurtley Beale? I remember seeing him play at flyhalf for the Waratah's a few years ago thinking he'll never be a Wallaby. His defence was horrible, he was carrying a bit of pork, and he looked lost - no instincts.

This year he's just transformed the Wallabies with his running. That try he set-up for James O'Connor in South Africa was amazing. The next week he backs up O'Connor for a good try. He did the same against Wales. Last week he was great in setting up Mitchell for that try by letting go of the ball at the right time. Just brilliant! The All Blacks struggled with his running last week.

I would have given a great deal to see him finish off that try against Wales. And up and under, re-gathered brilliantly, a deft kick behind Stephen Jones, and all he has to do is ground the ball, but he doesn't...

That would have been the try fo the year.

He's gone from that lost 18 year old to being a lean, fast, running fullback, and great nouse between the ears. He knows what to do and when to do it. He can counter-attack. His kicking from hand is excellent as well. He gained more metres, on average, than any other played in the Super 14 this year.

The Wallabies have gone from being a dour non-creative side (like we saw in New Zealand this year), to being a side that expect to score tries every time they touch the ball.

They'll lose a game this tour if they don't fix-up the scrum though.

ripper868

International Coach

no such thing as double movement in rugby BB, player has the right to plce the ball in any direction once tackled.