Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Favourite Euros

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I remember bits of 92. England losing to Sweden, parts of the semis and watching the final with my mate who supported Man U so was roaring Schmeichel on

Crazy to think of an eight team tournament but I suppose the number of countries in Europe rocketed just before it
    Prior to 1980 it was a four team tournament. 8 teams qualified from the groups but the quarter-finals were two legged. This is why it's not quite true to say Wales hadn't qualified for anything since 1958. In 1976 they made the quarter-finals but lost over two legs to Yugoslavia.

Yeah Spain were at their most attractive in 2008, partly I think because teams hadn't yet adopted the 'stick 10 players across the 18 yard line and watch Spain pass it about' tactic en masse, the Dutch slaughtered their way through a tough group before getting hammered by a Russian side playing great football, and Germany proved their performance at the previous World Cup wasn't a fluke as their initial golden generation started to take shape.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    The Euros are almost always really good I think. More consistently high quality than the World Cup for me. I remember really enjoying 2012 as well, but I wonder if that's just because I associate it with a really easy/enjoyable time in my life haha.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Also, funny looking back at England from 2012. Seems barely anyone from the squad for that tournament is still around just 4 years on. Nearly all of it has retired (Gerrard, Lampard, Terry) or been booted out (Young, Walcott, Carroll, Johnson, Defoe, Lescott, Downing, Barry). I wonder how many other squads at the tournament this time round have undergone such a transformation in the last 4 years.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    9 of Ireland's starting XI have changed and I barely noticed. Last time we had Richard Dunne starting at CB. Hoolahan didn't make the squad. 4 years is a longer time than I thought...

The one where Greece won :face:
    Ikki likes this.

THE SEASONS BRING RELIEF. JUST LET ME LIVE AND DIE IN PEACE

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Yugoslavia would have absolutely pissed 1992 if the country hadn't fallen apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Would have had some cracking teams throughout the 90s tbh.
    Well that Red Star Belgrade side which provided most of the team was one of the best in Europe at the time. Savicevic, Prosinecki and Pancev would have got in virtually any side in the world at the time and they weren't short of others to back them up.

vcs
    2000 and 2008 were excellent. I hate the one when Greece ruined it by winning the whole thing playing like Stoke. That sort of thing shouldn't be possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    I was in Greece during Euro 2004, that was fun
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

At the time I thought Greece winning was fantastic, but mainly for schadenfreude reasons. Not sure if I would feel the same if similar were to happen these days.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Nah it was great because Ronaldo cried
    dontcloseyoureyes likes this.

Lol he was 19 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Prior to 1980 it was a four team tournament. 8 teams qualified from the groups but the quarter-finals were two legged. This is why it's not quite true to say Wales hadn't qualified for anything since 1958. In 1976 they made the quarter-finals but lost over two legs to Yugoslavia.
    Although you can't really compare 1976 to the more recent versions, as only the semis and final were held in one country, perhaps it's worth mentioning that the final stages in 1976 were absolutely glorious; albeit brutally so at times. Obviously it's a shame that Holland didn't win the thing, but both semis and the final were wonderfully watchable affairs.

Obviously from an emotional investment point of view it has to be 96; smashed the Sweaties, beat an actual proper side in the Dutchistanis and, glory be and behold, won a penalty shoot out. IIRC it was Rafa Nadal's uncle who missed for the Spanish.

From a football standpoint I'd take 2008 though; the lack of leaden footed British and Irish players clodhopping about cannot be coincidental.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Obviously from an emotional investment point of view it has to be 96; smashed the Sweaties, beat an actual proper side in the Dutchistanis and, glory be and behold, won a penalty shoot out. IIRC it was Rafa Nadal's uncle who missed for the Spanish.

From a football standpoint I'd take 2008 though; the lack of leaden footed British and Irish players clodhopping about cannot be coincidental.
    I think there's an element for me where when we go out the tournament loses something for me. I realise not everyone is the same but it's like watching a great party through the window after being kicked out. Whereas the two tournaments in memory for me where we didn't qualify I could just sit back and enjoy.

With this new format, it's hard to see even England ever finding a way not to qualify again mind you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information