• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Proposal: Training

Loony BoB

International Captain
If possible, could players be given the option of training (ie hitting the nets etc.) to improve their stats? It could be done as follows...

If a player is not training, everything is done as normal.
If a player is in training, every day they DON'T play a FC/A-List game (including days where no game is played for that team), they are given one day of training.
During this day, they can improve their ratings/simming stats by a certain amount in either batting or bowling.
During this day, they also increase their chances of getting injured by a certain amount.
I don't think this could be done for fielding due to the fact that fielding changes in multiples of 3 and therefore can't have very small changes like batting/bowling can have (eg. 0.1 run increase on batting).
If a player is injured, they can't train anymore.

What the amounts would be is what would be the main debate. It could be 0.2 improvement in batting / bowling simming stats for double the chance of injury or something... dunno. But that would be ideal, really. If you were sitting out for 10 games, you could add a couple of runs to your average via long days in the nets.

The catch is activity - some players are inactive in this place and shouldn't really be given an advantage. For this reason, I'd suggest making a thread where the player has to 'sign in' for his training every day he's not played.

This is all very early days in the idea, so a huge amount could be worked on, but I think the idea of injury-risk-for-training is the best idea I've heard so far as to how we can allow for players to improve their play, and it also allows for those who sign up with poor stats to improve instead of just sitting on the sidelines in every game.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
It sounds like a fantastic idea and could be really good with a little refinement. I personally haven't been good enough to play every FC game so I like the idea of being able to improve to possibly get into the team - and it'd be a gamble as well as to whether I'd want the risk of injury and whatnot. Sounds like a very good idea thus far.

Majin

International Debutant
Ah man, I swear we're the ultimate team Towns. Your random brain and logic makes everything possible. B) Anyway, I like it (obviously) Anyway, I'd say the risk of injury should be dependant on the amount of training you do. It would be a bit harsh for someone to do one day of training and then get injured for a month. There should be a fatigue meter of some sorts, and the higher your fatigue the more likely you are to get injured. Well, if that's possible anyway.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe to show activity each player signs up every 1/4 for training, rather then everyday. Very good idea though.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Call me old fashioned, but I'm not a huge fan of the idea, tbh. Seems abit like when WCC used finances and the IRL sign up. Imo, it's just complicating a simple game

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It has its merits, but I don't know how the increased injury likelihood is going to come into being with the present simulator.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
It has its merits, but I don't know how the increased injury likelihood is going to come into being with the present simulator.
It can be done if there is more than one listing of a particular player in the names file. That name will then be more likely to be selected randomly.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, I knew that from the way I did the WCC injuries before it was decided to launch a coup, but it does then just double the chances of being selected - which seems a tad harsh for training!

Loony BoB

International Captain
Then you'd have to not start 100 games if it was a 0.1 increase each game. I'm not including the off-season. And with the increased chance of injury, you may take a lot longer than 3-4 seasons without startig a game to do that.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
But you (or it may have been Majin) said that you might be able to increase it more but add injury risk.

I'd be willing to get injured and turn it up to an increase of 10.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Yes, I knew that from the way I did the WCC injuries before it was decided to launch a coup, but it does then just double the chances of being selected - which seems a tad harsh for training!
Yes but if you duplicate evryone, then add one more clone for the training play in question, it only increases by 50%. And copies, then add one more for trainers it increases by 33%, and so on...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
As for the idea, as as been said, it has its merits. I think you should only be able to train on one thing though, and that must be disclosed by the player (such as batting average, bowling SR or bowling ER).

I'm ion favour because I'm desperate to improve my bowling SR! (Problem is contracted players won't be allowed to train so freely due to more chance of injury).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
Yes but if you duplicate evryone, then add one more clone for the training play in question, it only increases by 50%. And copies, then add one more for trainers it increases by 33%, and so on...
But by duplicating everyone the injury likelihood is doubled.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
But by duplicating everyone the injury likelihood is doubled.
Could we then make a modfied sim to reduce it again? :p

Nah my idea is getting a bit out of hand there.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the idea of training is a bit stupid, as it stands I think CW cricket is in a very fine state and this change could really screw it up.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Maybe you could just implement it on the day of the game - those who aren't playing in the side get a chance to work on something in the mean time? Except the 12th man?

David

International 12th Man
I'm not averse to training, but I don't like the proposed method. Everyone should have equal access to training, and it should be morale based, because just by playing in the nets that extra bit over what we already do won't make a difference when compared to playing IMO. Make it able to affect your morale, I think that would make it worthwhile.