• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ U-19's in CWLand

cricketboy29

International Regular
Talking about comparisons, A tour would definitely trump an under-19 tour in terms of media coverage. If were talking about under-19 tours, i think they would be on the same level, or a maybe just a tad lower since usually people who play under-19 may or may not click in the domestic league structure. Reetinder Singh Sodhi for an example. But a under-19 world cup definitely is bigger than the domestic league. No argument.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I would like to say im all for u/19 tours, but the players selected should be players that will be considered for selection i the future, like Henriques IRL, not players who are currently in the test squad.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
I'd definetely be up for it. If Garven is against me going though, then I'm not sure, since Greens could do with a few wins (not that I'd be helping much for that, anyway).

All Green players have my full support if they choose to tour, or they if they opt out and stay and play fro Green. The choice is up to each individual.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
but the players selected should be players that will be considered for selection i the future, like Henriques IRL
Would you be of the opinion that Weber and Borcich should come under that description?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
I'd like to see where these 36 man squads are in any form of domestic cricket.
Well in West Indies domestic cricket you've got to pick a squad of 15 or 16 from about a couple hundred. That a good enough example?

What about in India where there are countless players about for a team to sign for a season? Way more than 36 I assure you.

What about any English county where there are certainly far more than 36 players to decide the squad for the season? This is evidenced by the FACT that they have reserve squads, age level squads etc etc.

You'd like to see more? Be real.

new_age_ar

First Class Debutant
age_master said:
I would like to say im all for u/19 tours, but the players selected should be players that will be considered for selection i the future, like Henriques IRL, not players who are currently in the test squad.
So your telling me i shouldn't be able to play for the Under 19s cus i played two Tests. There many players who have played Test cricket, that go back and play for the U19 when they are not playing for the Test side, even if there is domestic cricket on at the time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What about any English county where there are certainly far more than 36 players to decide the squad for the season? This is evidenced by the FACT that they have reserve squads, age level squads etc etc.
Yes, and how many are contracted, nowhere near 36.

More like 20 or so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
new_age_ar said:
So your telling me i shouldn't be able to play for the Under 19s cus i played two Tests. There many players who have played Test cricket, that go back and play for the U19 when they are not playing for the Test side, even if there is domestic cricket on at the time.
Like who?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Would you be of the opinion that Weber and Borcich should come under that description?

yes, Weber would be aas high as i would go in terms of u19 selection - has played with the A team and is a regular FC player - but is still inexperienced and isn't right in line for test selection at the moment.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think that players should be ruled out of Under 19 unless they want, even is they have played Tests or ODIs. Someone like Mushfiqur Rahim was allowed to play for the Under 19s after making his Test debut against England. The same option should be avialable for Cricket Web players, unless they choice not to take it. At the end of the day its personal that shouldn't be affected by what their captains wants or what level of cricket they have got up to.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Yes, and how many are contracted, nowhere near 36.

More like 20 or so.
You cannot be serious. Surely not...

How many are contracted? That's the point! In CWLand there are only 18 players, so you can't even contract 20! You don't have much of a choice really. You don't have 36 players to choose 20 from.

Wow. It's a fairly simple point Marc.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Who really cares? CWLand is a young, developing cricket nation. You've got to make mistakes/experiment, so as to learn. CWLand is also alot different in that there's only 80 first class cricketers in the entire country. We can't hold ourselves to strictly to the structure of other nations - because we don't have the player pool to do so (amongst other things).

Blaze

Banned
What's your problem marc?

It's up to each individual to decide whether they want to play (just like in real life)

cbuts

International Debutant
marc is an idiot, he has problems with everything here. gotta wonder y he is still a member

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
It's up to each individual to decide whether they want to play (just like in real life)
In real life if a regular player were considered for U19 selection when his county were playing, the ECB would talk to the side about his call-up, not the player. If the county side were going to pick him to play at the higher level, there's no way that he'd be picked for the U19s.

That's nothing to do with the individual.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
In real life if a regular player were considered for U19 selection when his county were playing, the ECB would talk to the side about his call-up, not the player. If the county side were going to pick him to play at the higher level, there's no way that he'd be picked for the U19s.

That doesn't happen in every country, in most country its not even considered. The only time i can think of that a sub cont. player has not played for the U19s is when they been playing Tests or ODIs. The only cases of the top of my head are Chamara, Afradi and Pathan. In Chamara case he would have played if he was fully fit in one series and if Sri Lanka didn't make the finals in Australia. Just cus it happens in England, say more about how much Under 19 cricket means in England and doesn't mean it should be the policy that CWBCC use.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:

Fortunatly most people don't care what England does.