• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Tennis - Season I

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't believe the turnaround in my form in the space of one tournament. Couldn't buy a singles victory until Pickford and now I've ousted Jamee. Tough luck, mate.

Not an easy game against Onwye next. He's ranked about 40-ish, isn't he?

EDIT: He's ranked 48. Could be tough.

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking forward to the second round against NUFAN. Should be on one of the major courts

ripper868

International Coach
Started well and ended well. Nice to bagel Schmidt in the fifth set, I believe it's my first ever 5 set win.

2nd round against countryman Smeltz is going to be very tough, at least one of us will progress to the 3rd round.

Nice to see my doubles partner Maxum get some quality time on the court too.
Great to see the most fashionable man in Tennis today progress as well, I'm looking forward to our doubles tilt, could be something special.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
CW Open
Day 2 - Nixonstown (CWLand)

Men's Singles (Seeds - Finals - Section 1 - Section 2 - Section 3 - Section 4 - Section 5 - Section 6 - Section 7 - Section 8)
Men's Doubles (Seeds - Finals - Section 1 - Section 2 - Section 3 - Section 4)

• 27th seed Jojo Mustard has won his first round match easily on Centre Court after a 7-5, 6-1, 6-2 thrashing of Georgia's Gocha Berianidze. Mustard was troubled briefly in the first set by the world No. 123, but eventually found his feet and never looked like floundering in front of his home crowd. Taking advantage of his nine break points, Mustard played entertaining tennis throughout the match and successfully approached the net on 18 of 23 attempts. His second round opponent is Spain's Ion Andueza who likewise looked good in his straight sets victory over talented Russian teenager Boris Denisov.
  • Wildcard Spas Delev, however, had more trouble in his first round clash against world No. 57 Heinz Hainisch despite continuing his winning form with a five-set thriller. Delev's only previous five set affair came at Wimbledon where he gave up a two-set lead to collapse to Chinese Taipei's Tu Haifeng, and he was keen to level that record after dropping the fourth set in a tiebreaker. With the scores level at 2-2, Delev got the break he needed as Hainisch's unforced error troubles continued as he shanked a forehand well wide despite Delev presenting an open court. The world No. 91 clung on to his lead and survived two break point opportunities from the Austrian to serve out a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-4 victory.
  • It was a fairly drab affair on court two despite another CWLander involving himself in a five-set affair. Little known wildcard Suryakant Singh was playing his first competitive match in his adopted country, and provided a worthy match for the Cypriot Takis Georgilas. Georgilas' main weapon was his forehand, but that weapon was firmly put away in the first set as Singh controlled the points from the baseline to force Georgilas into uncharacteristic mistakes. But the Cypriot was keen to avoid a big defeat, and worked his way into the match in the second set as he snaffled a break of the Singh service in game four as he cleverly disguised a drop shot to leave a frustrated Singh in limbo at the back of the court. The momentum continued for Georgilas, and after taking the third set 6-3 he looked to have ended the dream of the world No. 166. But despite few of the CWLand fans actually having much idea of Singh as a player, they got right behind him as he again began to take the impetus from the back of the court. After three hours and twelve minutes on court, Singh sealed his maiden Grand Slam match 6-2, 4-6, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.
  • Scotland Rivers was another CWLander to secure his maiden Grand Slam win after coming from a set down to defeat Japan's Ninteh Doh. The veteran Japanese player took the first set in a tight tiebreaker as Rivers fell victim to a couple of shots from Doh that just took the line. But from there, there was no doubt who the better player was as Rivers surged back into the contest with the type of exciting tennis that has made him a hit on the Challenger circuit this season. This time it came off for him, as he broke Doh on seven occasions from thirteen opportunities and eventually romped home to a 6-7(2), 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 upset. It gets a lot harder now, though, as tenth seed Illya Altman awaits after he too advanced in four sets; 6-3, 6-7(7), 6-4, 7-6(3) against Argentina's Paolo Mandonna.
  • Unfortunately for three other CWLanders, they were unable to join the party as Martti Korpinen, Roy Daniels and David Briggs fell in their respective first round matches. Korpinen could only take a set off Luxembourg's Oliver Engel in their match as the former world No. 53 played comfortable tennis improved his Grand Slam record to 3-3 for the season with a 6-1, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 victory on Court 3. Daniels, meanwhile, struggled to make an impression on 29th seed Patrick Pascaul and eventually fell to a 3-6, 4-6, 5-7 defeat against the world No. 29. Finally, the impressive run of shock qualifier David Briggs came to an end in straight sets against Austria's Zbiginiew Boniek. Boniek had little trouble in taking all three sets with a 6-3 scoreline as his more mature body held up to the rigours of best of five set tennis.

• In the biggest upset of the day, the bottom half of the draw opened wide open as fourth seed Radivoj Daneu was stunned in four sets by Oneil Stewart of Jamaica. Despite being on the end of a 2-6, 3-6, thrashing in Washington a month ago against the Serbian No. 1, Stewart played inspired tennis to take a hard fought 6-3, 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(4) victory in the match of the day on Centre Court. Elsewhere, world No. 2 Daniel Páez Blanco had no such troubles earlier in the day as he breezed past José Navarro 6-4, 6-3, 6-2.

• Seeded players out: Radivoj Daneu.
Zucchetti Kos Tennis Cup
1st Round - Cordenons (Italy)

Men's Singles (Finals - Top Half - Bottom Half)
Men's Doubles (Draw)

• Little known CWLand youngster Marcuss Deane has debuted in style in Cordenons by defeating fellow wildcard Stefan Vicini in the first round of the Zucchetti Kos Tennis Cup. Having played little tennis on clay, the English acquisition earned a wildcard into the draw as part of CWLand's deal with the ATP. Struggling early, the tall player who openly prefers the quicker surfaces struggled against the local player as he looked uncomfortable on the surface. But after settling his nerves, Deane set about restoring his game on service which he managed throughout the rest of the match; dropping just seven points on service. The serve proved the difference as it proved too much for the semi-pro in Vicini as Deane earned his first points on the tour with a 3-6, 7-6(5), 7-6(2) win.

• Seeded players out: Sipko Wetzel.

--

Few upsets in the bottom half of the draw, but a nice swag of CWLand wildcards earning guaranteed points with second round berths. Daneu obviously is the big one to fall, and it only makes the task easier for the likes of Blanco, Brdar and Olesen to make it to the final.

And yes I know the format for the Challenger looks pretty ugly and cluttered, but that's the way I'll go when I can't be rooted copying in flags. :)

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Should make an interesting first round in the doubles, too. Think Davis/Mustard should have too much for Smeltz/Banks, but who knows? Draw wide open for Mustard to make the fourth round in the singles as well.

R DANIELS - 1 September I

P. PASCAUL def. R. Daniels 6-3, 6-4, 7-5

Q. Are you disappointed with how today went? You were in there in each set, but it just didn't happen for you.

ROY DANIELS: Yeah absolutely. You know, i thought i played pretty well out there and so did he. I could have maybe taken one or two of those sets, but i just made some mistakes in the crucial games. He obviously took advantage of that, and it worked out well for him.

Q. Was it a case of who served better at those times?

ROY DANIELS: Yes and no. Like i think we both served pretty well, but he's a very good return of service and stepped it up when he needed to. Like i was up a break in the second set at 4-3, but he returned really well that game and took advantage of a couple of bad second serves. It happened again at 3-3 in the third, and i've just got to get those serves in if i want to have a chance at this level.

Q. It was pretty noticeable who was more comfortable when returning serve today. You only had the four break points today; is returning something you have to work on?

ROY DANIELS: Yeah, i didn't create enough opportunities today, so it's totally something i have to work on. If you want to compete in Grand Slams you've got to have more than a serve. Particularly on a surface like this which isn't as fast as other hard courts we've played on.

Q. There's been a few players who have mentioned that the surfaces have generally been pretty slow.

ROY DANIELS: I don't know if it is the actual court or the balls, but whatever it was it was faster in Clowich and Pickford. It's a bit of a shame, though, because so much of the year is dominated by the slower courts, and this seems like its almost catering to the clay guys. Wimbledon is the only real major that gives any incentive to come up to the net. Guys just can't do it on this surface.

Q. You got a pretty big crowd out there today. That must have been disappointing for you to go out in straight sets when it was pretty clearly in your favour.

ROY DANIELS: In some ways, yeah, it was. Actually, it's great to see so many people coming out and supporting tennis this week because there were people thinking it was a stupid move to give us such a big tournament. It's great to have some support from the crowd, but that wasn't going to be the difference today. You know, i'm playing a really good player who is probably better than his ranking says he is.

Q. You think Pascaul has underachieved this year?

roy daniels: Totally. You know, i don't know if he can win it this fortnight, but i think if he comes back next year playing his best tennis and gets some form early he'll be a threat to break back into the top ten for sure.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Awesome stuff, really quite happy with that. In the second round, let's see how far I can go.

P.S I was just wondering SBI, if my doubles partner could be an Indian?

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry mate but I'd already done this before you'd asked (and can't remember who was lowest to be removed). Have Challengers in week two, though.

CW Open
Day 3 - Nixonstown (CWLand)

Men's Singles (Seeds - Finals - Section 1 - Section 2 - Section 3 - Section 4 - Section 5 - Section 6 - Section 7 - Section 8)
Men's Doubles (Seeds - Finals - Section 1 - Section 2 - Section 3 - Section 4)

• Eighteenth seed Randy Smeltz has comfortably advanced in the all-CWLand second round contest on Court No. 1 after a 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 victory over Rob Bowenburg. The Clowich quarterfinalist built on his first round form in convincing fashion against the world No. 60, as he served well and controlled proceedings from the baseline. Bowenburg meanwhile tried all he could to get some momentum going, but at times tried to put points away too early and paid for it by firing unforced error after unforced error; the frustratingly consistency of Smeltz drawing Bowenburg into audacious shots that left the CWLander raging. Smeltz meanwhile was more reserved in his play, and hit just fifteen unforced errors for the match in a controlled display. In two hours and four minutes, Smeltz wrapped up a comprehensive victory to set up a big third round showdown with Italian fifteenth seed Carlo Amato for a spot in the fourth round.
  • The impressive run of Jefferson Drake continued on Centre Court with a straight sets win over Bulgaria's Yordan Zakov. The tenacious Zakov created chances for himself in each set - he lead the second 3-0 at one stage before Drake fired back in aggressive fashion - but ultimately was outclassed by the local prospect who has been clinical in his victories this week. The usually explosive Drake took a while to get into motion, before breaking back in the fourth game of the first set with two identical backhand winners against a scrambling Zakov. At 2-0 in the third set, Drake seemed to have the match wrapped up before Zakov staged a fightback by breaking service in game three courtesy of Drake's sixth double fault. But in the third set tiebreaker, Drake switched on an quickly brought up a 5-0 lead. There was no catching him from there as he raced to a 6-3, 6-4, 7-6(1) win and a third round clash with China's Zhijun Sun.
  • Clowich finalist Sven Oxenstierna was again made to toil in his come-from-behind victory over Croatia's Ivan Češljar. The world No. 6 surprisingly dropped a set to lowly ranked Kiwi qualifier Karl King in the first round, and struggled for control against his Croatian opponent Češljar who served well and piled the pressure on the sixth seed. With the first set sticking on service, Češljar was taken to a tiebreaker where he had an unfortunate record of 0-6 for the season. But the Croat stuck strong and overcame his nerves to take the first set on the back of a mis-hit forehand from the local favourite. The second set went in a similar fashion; the only difference being that Oxenstierna managed to break service in game four. The 1-3 deficit was quickly pulled back by Češljar as he earned a service break from his first (and only) break point of the first two sets to draw level and send set two to another tiebreaker. But in a tight tussle, the ice cool Oxenstierna avoided a 0-2 deficit by taking control and the tiebreaker 9-7 despite at one stage being in dire trouble at 0-4 on his own service. From there it was a procession as the Croatian struggled to control his shots as the pressure quickly dropped on the sixth seed. Breaking service another four times, Oxenstierna eased to a four-set victory and a third round clash with 25th seed Danijel Micic.
  • For the second round in a row, Heath Davis has overcome a slow start to produce the goods in four sets; this time smashing doubles rival Ross Onwye in four sets. The Moroccan took the first set 7-6 as Davis struggled to find his best form on service; the Johannesburg finalist chipping away with clever slice backhands to rob Davis of any momentum. But the Pickford champion still looked in decent touch, and in games five and eleven of the second set he earned service breaks through crashing forehand winners to level the match at a set each. The eleventh game break seemed to also break down the wall of Onwye's resistance as Davis grew in confidence and power in an entertaining display to hit the world No. 48 off the court in emphatic fashion; dropping just seven more points on service to complete a 6-7(6), 7-5, 6-0, 6-2 win. His form will be put to the biggest test in the third round against world No. 1 Jason Hall. The American top seed had no trouble in polishing off Brazil's Roberto Santos 6-3, 7-5, 6-2, and holds a dominant record over Davis.
  • Finally, Jarkko Maxum managed to take a set off world No. 19 Rick Henson, but ultimately fell to a convincing loss in his second round contest. The American looked the better player and controlled the first two sets as the rapidly improving Maxum struggled to cause the former world No. 3 any difficulties as his serves lacked penetration and his groundstrokes were easily dealt with. But there were some signs of hope as Maxum took the third set from the American with a shock break of service in game four, but it was business as usual for Henson as he moved ever closer to a fourth round clash with Darcy Cowan; advancing 6-4, 6-2, 4-6, 6-0.

• Elsewhere, the Wimbledon champion continues to look in strong form as he defeated Yves Parmentier in straight sets 6-2, 6-4, 7-6(4). The runner up, however, continues to be tested; Radek Špidlá prevailing in three tight sets against Chinese veteran Li Ming-Wang 7-6(4), 7-5, 7-5. Dwayne Murdoch proved the first two sets in his first round clash were a blip on the radar as he destroyed Matthew Tobin 6-0, 6-4, 6-3, whilst qualifier Björn Donaldson took a five-set thriller against David Lebègue 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, 3-6, 8-6. Finally, Viktor Vuriak failed to back up his first round upset of Juan Moreno as American Hugh James came from a set down to win 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-2.

• Seeded players out:
    Li Wang.
  • Jamee Hancianu's week in Nixonstown will continue after he and partner Gjorgji Dinov came from a set down to edge a tight three-set affair against Michael Müller and Tim Zander of Germany. The wildcard entrants dropped the first set in a tiebreaker, before managing to earn a decisive break of service in game five of the second set. The decider again went to a tiebreaker as both teams looked confident on service; a near three hour affair ending in a deciding tiebreaker which the CWLand-Macedonian pair prevailed in 6-7(6), 6-4, 7-6(7).
  • Scotland Rivers and his forty-year old partner Vladimir Gryzlov also advanced in three sets in their first round showing against Juan Manuel Cortés and Javier Villaneuva. The Spanish pair only really played consistent tennis in the second set, as Rivers and the oldest man on tour bookended the contest with some dominant tennis to secure a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 upset. They face a possible second round clash with French Open finalists Tal Cohen and Raz Teper.
  • It was the end of the line for another wildcard entrant as Gurpreet Rao and Suryakant Singh were beaten in straight sets by Uruguay's Mario Acosta and Gonzalo Castro. Rao and Singh at times looked like a very solid duo in their first competitive match together, but Acosta and Castro had the experience and the polish to prevail in the important games. The 6-3, 7-6(3) victory sets up a likely second round clash for the Uruguayans against Roland Garros champions Hugh James and Ralph Robinson.
  • Spas Delev and Roman Dorogan were unable to capitalise on a good start as they fell in three tight sets against British-South African team Sebastian Moss and Oliver Thursfield. The CWLand-Ukraine pair started well to break service three times in the opening set, before moving to a 4-2 lead in the second set. But the lead was reeled in by the unseeded duo who managed to take five out of the last six games of the second set to head into a decider with confident. In the fifth game, the Delev service was broken by some quick work from Moss at the net as they advanced 5-7, 7-5, 6-4.
  • Elsewhere, Hungarian brothers János and Zoltán Varga arrested recent bad form with a 6-0, 7-6(5) win over Ritwik Bhutia and Harpreet Gupte. Wayne Boyd and Morgan Carter were not so impressive as the thirteenth seeds were sensationally ousted in straight sets by Serbians Dusko Milosevic and Savo Petkoviä.

• Seeded players out:
    Wayne Boyd &
    Morgan Carter.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another excellent win to build up a few ranking points. Sadly, my run is bound to come to an end here. Form or no form, I don't stand a chance against the number one seed.