• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pasag

RTDAS
What did he expect?

I've probably argued the other way 100 times, I can't remember, but this is the price he pays for accepting sponsorship dollars. He carefully cultivated himself into a national brand and this is one of the side effects of that, the inability to go to a pub and have some privacy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That may well be right, but it doesn't mean the girls have to have a whinge about it when he says he doesn't want his photo taken with them.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it was just on a normal night out, I'd definitely be saying the same as you pasag, but given that he's just split up with his fiancee, I think it's fair enough that he should want some privacy.

pasag

RTDAS
If it was just on a normal night out, I'd definitely be saying the same as you pasag, but given that he's just split up with his fiancee, I think it's fair enough that he should want some privacy.
Then he shouldn't go out, as G_S says.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That may well be right, but it doesn't mean the girls have to have a whinge about it when he says he doesn't want his photo taken with them.
Yeah agree with this. Pretty stupid of them, "He said no, but i took the photo anyway, what could possibly be so upsetting about that...."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah agree with this. Pretty stupid of them, "He said no, but i took the photo anyway, what could possibly be so upsetting about that...."
Yeah, annoys the hell out of me when women do that to me in nightclubs :ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
Excellent to see Clarke finally off this ****. And glad he has reported for the test matches. Well done mate.
I have to say that this is a common thing. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if public perception for Clarke went up after this, which is a little paradoxical. But the anti-Bingle (and anti-Bingle ONLY to my infinite surprise) rhetoric going around is mind-boggling.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Excellent to see Clarke finally off this ****. And glad he has reported for the test matches. Well done mate.
+1

If Clarke can make some big scores in the tests it will make him look like a hero. Perhaps getting rid of Bingle and going on to score 200 will improve his image even more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt79

Global Moderator
What did he expect?

I've probably argued the other way 100 times, I can't remember, but this is the price he pays for accepting sponsorship dollars. He carefully cultivated himself into a national brand and this is one of the side effects of that, the inability to go to a pub and have some privacy.
You're Caroline Wilson and I claim my $5!

Seriously, ****ing hate this line of argument. His responsibilities to his sponsor is to continue to convey the public persona that they've selected him for. The only consequence he's 'signed up' for is that if he diverges from that he will, a la Tiger Woods, lose that continued sponsorship. People have no right to act like tools towards him in public because of that.

Media are the worst scum. Like tonight on the news, there was a camera crew driving around stalking and filming Bingle while she was walking along the street. How the **** is her going outside her house newsworthy? I'm with Tom Cruise - if you've asked someone not to take your picture/videotape you, it should be illegal for them to disregard that request.

Spark

Global Moderator

Seriously, ****ing hate this line of argument. His responsibilities to his sponsor is to continue to convey the public persona that they've selected him for. The only consequence he's 'signed up' for is that if he diverges from that he will, a la Tiger Woods, lose that continued sponsorship. People have no right to act like tools towards him in public because of that.

Media are the worst scum. Like tonight on the news, there was a camera crew driving around stalking and filming Bingle while she was walking along the street. How the **** is her going outside her house newsworthy? I'm with Tom Cruise - if you've asked someone not to take your picture/videotape you, it should be illegal for them to disregard that request.
Yeah that sickens me. For god's sake it's not your life to live.

pasag

RTDAS

Not interested in the snide remarks but you're a borderline Clarke fanboy so it's to be expected.

Not once did I speak about his responsabilities to his sponsor.

However, some people, like Michael Clarke, carefully cultivate their image, their brand. They do everything to protect that image, grow it and profit from it. And they profit from it greatly. It comes at a price. Now there are lines that should not be crossed for example media camping at his house, but if he expects to have a quite one at the pub after he's involved in the biggest story in the country he's delusional and so are you.

The media have been truly shocking in this affair. It's a situation where no one has painted themselves which much glory but there are no victims here.

Bracken

U19 Debutant

The point is that the very reason why those sponsors sought out Clarke in the first place was because of his profile. Both Clarke and Bingle actively cultivated the "hot couple" image, and both actively sought to profit from it.

As much as the "famous for being famous" phenomenon annoys the living **** out of me, I have absolutely no sympathy for those who build their fortune through the attention of the media, and then complain about privacy when that same attention doesn't serve their purposes any more.

And Tom Cruise can go **** himself.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not interested in the snide remarks but you're a borderline Clarke fanboy so it's to be expected.

Not once did I speak about his responsabilities to his sponsor.

However, some people, like Michael Clarke, carefully cultivate their image, their brand. They do everything to protect that image, grow it and profit from it. And they profit from it greatly. It comes at a price. Now there are lines that should not be crossed for example media camping at his house, but if he expects to have a quite one at the pub after he's involved in the biggest story in the country he's delusional and so are you.

The media have been truly shocking in this affair. It's a situation where no one has painted themselves which much glory but there are no victims here.
A bit precious to call that snide IMO. Especially when you go on to call me a fanboy!

You're right - he (and Bingle) clearly deserve no respect from the public when going through a relationship breakup. Maybe he shouldn't realistically expect not to be hassled by gawking bogans, but they're the ones with a problem, not him. To say that he brought it on himself is tagging the victim as the guilty party. In this case - a) nothing he's done should damage his brand. b) nothing he was doing at the pub should damage his brand - he asked, not rudely by all accounts, not to be photographed. It was his friend who got aggro.

I think the issue that you and a lot of people have with him is shown in your comment that "some people carefully cultivate their image". That carries an unmistakable tang of disapproval unless I'm much mistaken - that by seeking sponsorship opportunities he's done something sordid and that he's now getting his just desserts when it turns on him. I don't get why that should be the case. I don't really think he's done anything untoward to 'cultivate' his image. Often, and I'm not saying this is why in your case, that hostility seems to stem from a perception that because of people like Clarke's success in getting sponsors they are overrated in terms of their profession, and perhaps even exempt from the levels of scrutiny others get. And hence, he deserves what he gets when the media cycle turns.

I don't accept that people who make themselves available to the media, or even court the media, deserve what occurs when the media turns on them. The media say that "they couldn't survive without us" but they don't acknowledge the truth that they the media are the parasitic ones in the relationship - they create and destroy 'celebrities' to amuse themselves and make easy money. If we acknowledge there's a lack of fairness about who gets offered the chance to become celebrity idols, we should also acknowledge that most of us would take that chance as well, especially if it were offered to us in our early 20s.