• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr. P said:
Marc if that is how you are going to post you have no idea. You CAN see how good he is as a captain. Look at the tactical side, and personally I reckon Pontings tactics are among the very best!
I'm with you Mr. P. I wasn't a big fan of Ponting becoming captain because I didn't think he had the character, but he is proving to me he could become a quite capable captain. I don't think he has reached his potential just yet, but with a few more series' under his belt he could be much better. He has made some rookie mistakes by giving bowlers longer spells than they should have, look at Sri Lanka, but he will learn.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
So you don't think Ponting's a better batsman then?

If his batting were good enough to get him in that team, he would without a doubt be skipper.
I was replying to an earlier post. :dry:

Of course he's a better bat then Fleming.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, if you use the quote, that would help us all work out.

Without a quote it can only really be interpretted as a direct reply.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Ricky has developed from being a character, to having a character.
Thats straight from Inside Edge... haha.

These banners are fantastic.. Im waiting for the DR Martyn version now.

Scallywag

Banned
Peter Roebuck on Ponting

Ricky Ponting has been the captain of this tournament. If he maintains this form, he will be the man lifting the trophy on March 23. Tactically, he has been superior to any rival; his selections have been justified by events and his team is sustaining its effort through the hottest days. Pakistan lasted about as long as the Maginot line. Ponting has shown only one fault, an inability to convince his players that conduct counts.

Ponting showed his strengths in Johannesburg by leading a fightback after early wickets had fallen. He had much on his mind as he took guard, not least the loss of his friend, Shane Warne, whose departure weakened the attack. Michael Bevan and Darren Lehmann were also missing, which made the loss of early wickets even more alarming. Far from panicking, the Tasmanian played his own game, regaining the initiative with some typically crisp strokes. Australians protect the initiative like vestals protect their virginity. Pakistan was pushed back and soon resorted to doomed and defensive tactics calculated to hasten the over-rate.

Watching the Australians run on to the field was to know that victory was in the bag. Ponting dashed out, paused, and gathered his players amidst much backslapping and activities described by younger writers as high-fives. Perhaps the Australians had been aroused by the disgraceful beamers sent down by the opposing captain, dark deliveries demanding a much stiffer penalty. Ponting's men played noisily, aggressively and confidently. After all, a team is as strong as its weakest link and his name is, or was, Andrew Symonds. Ponting has been the Queenslander's main supporter and his faith was rewarded. Admittedly, Symonds was helped by the caution of his opponents. Pessimists cannot beat Australia.

Scallywag

Banned
Peter Rowbuck on Fleming.

Stephen Fleming was not his usual self in Bloemfontein. Incredibly, New Zealand omitted its best spinner on a traditionally slow pitch. Daniel Vettori may look like Harry Potter but he can bowl and is a fine competitor. Unable to change the pace of his bowling, Fleming lost control of the match. Nor was he quick enough to abandon the strategy of packing the off-side field for Sanath Jayasuriya and aiming at his off-stump. The Kiwis use this tactic to contain Damien Martyn who is likewise productive through point. But Jaya hits the ball a lot harder than the man from the Northern Territory where, as has been recorded, everyone goes around wrestling with crocodiles. When the Sri Lankan hits the ball, it sounds like a crack from a rifle. Fleming persisted and the boundary boards suffered. Now this serene leader must restore confidence in a team whose hopes have been high

Son Of Coco

Scallywag said:
Peter Rowbuck on Fleming.

Stephen Fleming was not his usual self in Bloemfontein. Incredibly, New Zealand omitted its best spinner on a traditionally slow pitch. Daniel Vettori may look like Harry Potter but he can bowl and is a fine competitor. Unable to change the pace of his bowling, Fleming lost control of the match. Nor was he quick enough to abandon the strategy of packing the off-side field for Sanath Jayasuriya and aiming at his off-stump. The Kiwis use this tactic to contain Damien Martyn who is likewise productive through point. But Jaya hits the ball a lot harder than the man from the Northern Territory where, as has been recorded, everyone goes around wrestling with crocodiles. When the Sri Lankan hits the ball, it sounds like a crack from a rifle. Fleming persisted and the boundary boards suffered. Now this serene leader must restore confidence in a team whose hopes have been high
Is Martyn from the Northern Territory?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Still a far, far better batsman than skipper ATM for mine.
More of a Bradman to Stephen Waugh's Woodfull.
Wasn't Bradman a good captain?

Son Of Coco

Linda said:
He was there until he was 3 or 4 or something...
I should have just asked you in the first place Linda! I had a feeling you might have some info on the big fella. :p