• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MacGill must tour India - Ganguly

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Spetsnatz said:
Wasn't Fidel Edwards picked from obscurity ?
He was picked because he bowled a good spell at Lara in a single net-session.
He had, however, at least played 1 First-Class game previously (taking 1 for 34).
Not one of the best selections of recent times and hasn't, yet, proved a rip-roaring success.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Read here

If MacGill is left out, that is it I doubt he would have much of a Test career left (if he does have one).

It will be the interesting who the 4th bowler will be in Tests, as Warne, Gillespie, and McGrath are certainties (barring injury) for the first Test.

Three quicks and one spinner, or two quicks and two spinners?
is there really much of a point playing macgill and warne?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Andre said:
I know Krejza has got big raps on the Sydney grade scene - plus he's a more than decent bat - but any selection would be very difficult to logically justify other than going on a hunch.

haha yeah ive heard hes good, but wether he could adjust to playing at a much higher level quickly i doubt, let alone in front of 100,000 indians.

having said that, he would probably be a better pick than macgill

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Oops yeah sorry, Cameron White. I think I was also thinking of Craig (who started this thread) and his post.
Was there an Australian spinner named Craig White? I remember that name, although because of the original, more illustrious Craig White.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
You favour three quicks and one spinner?
yes if the other spinner happens to be macgill, who practises the same art(leg spin) as warne but bowls it far worse than him. given that indian batsmen have never really had problems against any spinner in the world why exactly would you need another mediocre spinner in the first place?
and who out of mcgrath,kasparowicz and gillespie would you drop?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
lord_of_darkness said:
in india..probably could do with it.. depending on macgills form, and the location of the match..
Meaning 2 seamers and no part timers amongst the batsmen?

Surely better to have Warne backed by up to 3 part timers (Lehmann, Katich and possibly Symonds)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arjun said:
Was there an Australian spinner named Craig White? I remember that name, although because of the original, more illustrious Craig White.
I think the spinner you're thinking of was named Barry White.....

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
yes if the other spinner happens to be macgill, who practises the same art(leg spin) as warne but bowls it far worse than him. given that indian batsmen have never really had problems against any spinner in the world why exactly would you need another mediocre spinner in the first place?
and who out of mcgrath,kasparowicz and gillespie would you drop?
Barring injury, McGrath and Gillespie will play in the first Test, so it would be down to Lee or Kasprowicz.

My question is, will Australia take Wade Seccombe (or another 'keeper) to India as cover for Adam Gilchrist since they did it for the tour of Sri Lanka?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Meaning 2 seamers and no part timers amongst the batsmen?

Surely better to have Warne backed by up to 3 part timers (Lehmann, Katich and possibly Symonds)
Wouldn't Symonds count as an all-rounder then a part-timer since he bowls in most (if not all) matches he plays in?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wouldn't say he does, any more than Lehmann does.

He doesn't bowl that many overs, and is only a fill-in option - you wouldn't want him as the 4th member of your attack, that's for sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would count Symonds as a 4rth seamer if the conditions suit seam and swing.
I would not count him as a 2nd (or 3rd) spinner if the conditions suit spin!

Andre

International Regular
Son Of Coco said:
I think the spinner you're thinking of was named Barry White.....
No, to be fair, when Craig White made his first-class debut for Victoria he was an off-spinner.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Barring injury, McGrath and Gillespie will play in the first Test, so it would be down to Lee or Kasprowicz.
really? you would actually be in a dilemma deciding between lee and kaspa? i'd pick kaspa over macgill and lee in any conditions.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Kaspa would be very very unlucky to miss out after what he did in Sri Lanka.

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
really? you would actually be in a dilemma deciding between lee and kaspa? i'd pick kaspa over macgill and lee in any conditions.
MacGill got left out, pulling out of Zimbabwe at this stage looks like he might as well as well have announced his retirement from international cricket at the same time.

Lee has pace, and I guess the Australians would want to use it against the Indians.

shaka

International Regular
Australian squad anounced for tour of India, Brett Lee in and Stuart MacGill left out, Cameron White is one of four spinner in the squad

Squad 1 Ricky Ponting (capt), 2 Adam Gilchrist (wk), 3 Michael Clarke, 4 Jason Gillespie, 5 Matthew Hayden, 6 Nathan Hauritz, 7 Simon Katich, 8 Michael Kasprowicz, 9 Damien Martyn, 10 Glenn McGrath, 11 Justin Langer, 12 Brett Lee, 13 Darren Lehmann, 14 Shane Warne, 15 Shane Watson, 16 Cameron White

Last edited: