• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Teams you support in order

anzac

International Debutant
pakster said:
yup...Jaysuriya and Co were the pioneers of Pinch Hitting!....and we all know how exciting pinch-hitters can be to watch!

peace
I didn't think they picked that up until after the '92 WC in AUS / NZL..........the first time I can recall them using a 'pinch hitter' to open with was Kalu in the '95 - '96 B&H series v AUS & WI...............

I remember Kalu was failing batting down the order on their AUS tour & they gave him a go as Opener in the ODIs (because of injury??? / last resort) - he came out blazing & they kept him opening..............

otherwise I'd say that NZL had a hand in it with promoting Greatbatch to Open in the '92 WC..........just that they didn't persist with it after him.........

:)

Sudeep

International Captain
1. India
2. Australia
3. England
4. South Africa
5. New Zealand
6. Kenya
7. Bangladesh
8. Pakistan
9. West Indies
10. Zimbabwe
11. Sri Lanka

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
anzac said:
I didn't think they picked that up until after the '92 WC in AUS / NZL..........the first time I can recall them using a 'pinch hitter' to open with was Kalu in the '95 - '96 B&H series v AUS & WI...............

I remember Kalu was failing batting down the order on their AUS tour & they gave him a go as Opener in the ODIs (because of injury??? / last resort) - he came out blazing & they kept him opening..............

otherwise I'd say that NZL had a hand in it with promoting Greatbatch to Open in the '92 WC..........just that they didn't persist with it after him.........

:)
I agree, It was Martin Crow who started and very succesfully this in 1992 by promoting Greatbach as an opener, who can forget Dipak Patel opening the bowling in the 1992 world cup.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Internationally:
England
South Africa
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Then the rest just about equal.
But that doesn't change the fact that I always like the best team to win. If Pakistan play New Zealand or India with a load of rubbish while India\New Zealand have a good side I want them to lose.

Domestic teams:
Yorkshire

NSW, Surrey. Teams I like for no apparrent reason.
NSW, Yorkshire, and Surrey?

More bouncers for you this winter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
NSW, Yorkshire, and Surrey?

More bouncers for you this winter.
I think I shall be practising the pull and hook-strokes with a new dedication this autumn just for the sheer satisfaction of hammering the Pickup Bouncer into the mid-wicket netting.

Piper

International Captain
New Zealand,
South Africa,
England,
Australia,
West Indies,
India,
Pakistan,
Sri Lanka,
Bangladesh

BoyBrumby

Englishman
1) England (being English & that)

I don't really have a second team (or third, fourth, etc, etc), but I do do that slightly w*nky English thing of always rooting for the underdog (or who I reckon is the underdog). Which effectively means I support anyone who plays against Australia...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
1) England (being English & that)

I don't really have a second team (or third, fourth, etc, etc), but I do do that slightly w*nky English thing of always rooting for the underdog (or who I reckon is the underdog). Which effectively means I support anyone who plays against Australia...
Me too.

I live for the day when I'm rooting for Australia.

Loony BoB

International Captain
1. New Zealand
2. South Africa
3. Bangladesh

The last six vary quite a lot, this is just a rough idea...

India
Sri Lanka
West Indies
Pakistan
Australia
England

England is probably my most 'up and down' country, I support them against any of those others some days and I hope they shoot themselves in the foot on others. Just a side effect of being a New Zealander living in Scotland and working with Englishman but following the English team, I guess! Australia similarly - I have the TransTasman rivalry going for me, but at the same time I enjoy Australia putting overhyped countries back in their place (Hi England! :D)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
I think I shall be practising the pull and hook-strokes with a new dedication this autumn just for the sheer satisfaction of hammering the Pickup Bouncer into the mid-wicket netting.
I suggest you spend your time finding a sponsorship deal with a private health insurance company, instead...