• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Nicholas

a massive zebra

International Captain
Mark Nicholas reached new depths of pompous ineptitude this evening - example "The West Indies's was limp, take it from me. As for Her Majesty's, it was all aflutter." Can anyone explain why having been a mediocre cricketer, having a moderately plummy voice and being able to talk glibly and emptily got him his present job? The C4 highlights programme is a shambles. Nicholas speaks absolute drivel most of the time and thinks he's the Shakespeare of commentary. Some of the pretentious, nonsense intros to C4 highlight packages are toe curlingly embarrassing. If you hate him - well, his dire and trivial presentation - as much as I do, write to C4.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Couldn't agree more.

To all Aussies: All English commentators aren't like this idiot. I know he was on C9 last year and made a prat of himself - he is the crappest commentator I know of.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well he is enthusiastic and marketable.. But that shouldnt make him great...

He would do well to have a look at guys like Jonathan Agnew, Mike Haysman and Ian Bishop, Just be a thoroughly good and modest guy on and off mike, don't try too hard and the listeners will largely warm to you

Heard aggers and Foxy Fowler on TMS today, legends...

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
I actually don't think he is half bad, he reminds me a little of Grant Nisbett here in NZ who is easy to listen to and more of a play by play man, as opposed to someone more analytical.

He is undoubtedly better than some of the absolute dribble Botham, Willis, Llyod (he was ok), and co were speaking. You'd think they would at least know something about cricket teams not England, but apparently not.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Grant Nisbett!? haha..you must be joking. Nicholas is 10 times better than Nisbo.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nisbo isn't too bad, you just get the impression that he'd rather be calling a rugby game.

tooextracool

International Coach
nasser hussain is on the way there...... yesterday hussain asked michael holding whether he bowled in the match in which hutton and compton got that record 2nd wicket partnership(not any more) in 1939!

Waughney

International Debutant
To all Aussies: All English commentators aren't like this idiot. I know he was on C9 last year and made a prat of himself - he is the crappest commentator I know of.
A bit harsh, I didn't really mind Nicholas last summer, although i didn't particularly like his commentary either....

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
nasser hussain is on the way there...... yesterday hussain asked michael holding whether he bowled in the match in which hutton and compton got that record 2nd wicket partnership(not any more) in 1939!
Did it occur to you that it might just have been a joke?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some commentators are more and less popular than others but the fact is all commentators are disliked by plenty.
Personally, I don't object to any of them - there is not a single commentator I especially dislike, but there is not a single commentator whose lack of photographic memory doesn't infuriate me. Bill Frindall, for obvious reasons, is better than the rest but even he's not perfect.

Andre

International Regular
tooextracool said:
Actually, I think Hussain is good for the commentary box - he offers us actual insight into the thinking of Team England rather than pure speculation on the part of others. His words on why Giles bowls over the wicket I found very interesting and insightful indeed - it was good to actually hear why this was done, and in a way, the tactic as it was explained makes perfect sense for Giles because he's not a huge turner of the ball.

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Well we'll trade you Mark Taylor and Ian Chappell from him. (Those two should never commentate together).

Craig

World Traveller
_Ed_ said:
Nisbo isn't too bad, you just get the impression that he'd rather be calling a rugby game.
He does an ok job given that he never played cricket at the top level, and just calls the action then get right into the full details of it.

Of all the NZ commentators I would say Jeremy Coney is the best IMO. He is vastly under-rated as a commentator.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Andre said:
His words on why Giles bowls over the wicket I found very interesting and insightful indeed - it was good to actually hear why this was done, and in a way, the tactic as it was explained makes perfect sense for Giles because he's not a huge turner of the ball.
It's a pity some people on here and in the media either don't or won't take note of what he said.