• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Nicholas

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doubt it - it's probably just a term you've concocted to try to take the **** out of the first-chance theorem.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
Boycott kept it alive today with Ian Bishop...Athers was a bit...well...Athers...Benaud did the usual and Nicholas the same. Not bad really but I've grown to like Lloyd and co more. Incidently, to whoever said they need to speak more like on the radio, they don't have to because the radio has to describe EVERYTHING whereas on T.V. you have a picture and don't need such descriptions. It should basically be each commentator's thoughts on the match, cricket etc.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
If you're watching outside England the chances are you'll get C4 for all Test-matches except the second of the summer, and Sky for that second and all the ODIs.
If you're watching in England you get this for the live stuff, and highlights of everything on both.
Sky is Charles Colville, Bob Willis, Paul Allott, David Lloyd, David Gower, Ian Botham and sometimes some others, usually invitational commentators, Michael Holding being probably the most popular.
C4 is Richie Benaud, Mark Nicholas and Dermot Reeve, with Simon Hughes the analyst, Michael Atherton from 2002 onwards, Geoff Boycott from 2004 onwards, and sometimes Barry Richards, Ian Smith and Ian Bishop, usually depending on who's touring but not always.
TMS, the radio, meanwhile, is Peter Baxter, Jonathan Agnew, Christopher Martin-Jenkins, Henry Blofeld, Bill Frindall and sometimes invitational commentators. None of them have ever let me down and all are exceptional at their trade.
I can assure you we get Sky Sports in this part of the world.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
If you're watching in England you get this for the live stuff, and highlights of everything on both.
Sky is Charles Colville, Bob Willis, Paul Allott, David Lloyd, David Gower, Ian Botham and sometimes some others, usually invitational commentators, Michael Holding being probably the most popular.
C4 is Richie Benaud, Mark Nicholas and Dermot Reeve, with Simon Hughes the analyst, Michael Atherton from 2002 onwards, Geoff Boycott from 2004 onwards, and sometimes Barry Richards, Ian Smith and Ian Bishop, usually depending on who's touring but not always.
In that case, I get coverage by Sky Sports. Thanks for the info.

A bit disappointing they don't show the pre-match, mid-match and post-match shows, but nobody would watch them. We got Jason Dasey and Alan Wilkins discussing last year's NatWest series and nPower Tests with Ravi Shastri, Dean Jones, Pat Symcox and Sunil Gavaskar, with phone calls to Boycott and a few other experts, but no such event this year.

No wonder Boycott is not in Sri Lanka. I have noticed him in the ESPNSTAR box whenever the Indian team travels, except in NZ, the World Cup in SA and now in SL. He has quite a large fan following in India.

Another commentator missed from that box is Navjot Singh Sidhu, who has a contract with a news channel.

Does Richie Benaud cover matches away from Australia? I hear him more often on Channel 9 for matches in Australia and rarely outside, except in the World Cup.

A lot of fans in India would say that the Sony MAX commentary team was the worst of all time. They were irritating in the 2002 Champions Trophy and carried on to the World Cup. Luckily I got to watch the Sky Sports coverage on a local state-owned channel, on which I got clear coverage, unlike what they usually showed. Now they have the rights for the Holland series and the Champions Trophy. Worse, some sports channels have been copying their designs and are making a mess of cricket coverage ("Shaz and Waz show", "Pitch Doctor", to name a few), though Ten Sports has not yet been bitten by that bug. Luckily.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjun said:
Does Richie Benaud cover matches away from Australia? I hear him more often on Channel 9 for matches in Australia and rarely outside, except in the World Cup.
I've never heard him on anything except C9 in Australia and terrestrial coverage in England, whether by BBC or C4.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I wonder why that may be?
Because you don't like it, and you can't think of any realistic detractions so you have to resort to silly comments?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, because any realistic shortcomings refuse to be acknowledged by the only person who ever talks about these figures.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
And you probably pay less than what people in England pay..
We just get their cricket coverage.

We only have basic cable for around $35AUD a month, so I guess you can so the sums.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
No, because any realistic shortcomings refuse to be acknowledged by the only person who ever talks about these figures.
No, because I've pointed-out why these "shortcomings" are hardly devaluative and you have consistently failed to reply convincingly.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
if its one thing i cant stand its people misquoting....his exact quote was "He may not quite have made the leap ... to Hedley Verity status but he has certainly left wheelie-binnery far behind."
You clearly listen to the same part of the Lords match as me, then.

It was not a misquote.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
superkingdave said:
are you sure? i was listening to it and i'm sure remember the exact quote "he's gone from a wheelie bin to Hedley Verity"
Correct.

TEC seems to have misquoted his annoyance at misquoting.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
im guessing cricinfo made the same mistake then.....
Yes i have noticed that you put a lot of faith in Cricinfo, i think maybe it is undeserved, given the number of times ive seen it in this test match where they have had the wrong batsmen facing and made a lot of other mistakes in their commentary.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
im guessing cricinfo made the same mistake then.....
a) Nice post editing there, to make you look like less of a muppet.

b) CricInfo made the same mistake with regard to what?

c) You still look like a muppet because you put so much emphasis on CricInfo.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
a) Nice post editing there, to make you look like less of a muppet.

b) CricInfo made the same mistake with regard to what?

c) You still look like a muppet because you put so much emphasis on CricInfo.
heres the quote from cricinfo
"He may not quite have made the leap ... to Hedley Verity status but he has certainly left wheelie-binnery far behind."
Henry Blofeld makes a public apology to Ashley Giles, after years of jocular comments about his bowling action and effectiveness

quite frankly i heard the same thing. nonetheless i take the point that cricinfo makes quite a few errors.