• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Nicholas

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
i think all the contracts are done on a country to country basis. Both Sky and Channel four do full every ball live commentary and sell it to the different markets. Channel 4 have the rights for Britain obviously but i would guess that Sky have most of the rest as their parent company owns a lot of the foreign sports channels.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
gio said:
Agreed on whoever mentioned Foxy. Graham Fowler is a legend, best summariser around imho.

I like Mark nicholas. He's a good frontman, and gets very excited. I'm not a big fan of the commentators that keep quiet and mumble on. You need lively commentators, Nicholas gets very excited, and its great to hear. I just wish C4 would take a leaf out of Sky Sports book and talk more often. Ian Ward (a commentator with potential), Bumble, Colville, Both are always talking and its interesting and amusing. Willis and Allot are a bit boring at times. Willis is always so negative and monotonous. He rarely gets exicted.

On the point of highlights show, thats not his fault. C4 commisioners decide on the length. half an hour isn't enough to show cricket highlights, but C4 can't seem to understand that. That ain't Nicholas fault though.
Gio - I agree with pretty much everything there, apart from the fact that Simon Hughes and Boycott were left out. Hughes does a great job as the "analyst" and presents the various stats in a clear, comprehendable manner - which is better than some stations. Boycott certainly adds something to the C4 team - perhaps his eccentricity, like Lloyd, makes him popular and his very "I'm right, you're wrong" stances make the show that bit more watchable! :p Sky presents it well - even if Colville is a pillock. Lloyd and Willis seem to feed off each other well and Gower and Botham provide good cricket chat. On a side note, if you want to listen to anything other than cricket, listen to David Lloyd. I'll never forget him describing his lunch, or chatting in "The Queue".

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
TMS, the radio, meanwhile, is Peter Baxter, Jonathan Agnew, Christopher Martin-Jenkins, Henry Blofeld, Bill Frindall and sometimes invitational commentators. None of them have ever let me down and all are exceptional at their trade.
Do you think Henry Blofeld is exceptional at his trade? He may be a dear old fuddy duddy, but there are only so many mistakes you can make until it starts to show and look unprofessional..

He may have done good serivce, but the time has come to move on Blowers...

gio

U19 Cricketer
I like that in TMS. It adds a bit of humour and humanity to it all. I know I'm not the only one who turns down the TV and listens to the radio, apart from when Sir Viv and Tony Cozier are on - can't cope with that. I much preferred the NZ commentators and summarisers. The situation with the Primary Club and whats his name proclaiming he coun't become a member... excellent radio. As are the little things, like Aggers getting uptight about the blue shirts and the fact that no maidens could be bowled in the day. It just adds so much more to the cricket. TV commentators don't speak enough (with the exception of domestic cricket on Sky) to make me stick with it. Listening to TMS is the best way to do it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Nothing will ever stop me considering him a bit of an idiot.

The other day, he said that Giles had gone from being a wheelie-bin to Hedley Verity, not a bad transformation in a day.

He keeps making these random strange comments.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tom Halsey said:

The other day, he said that Giles had gone from being a wheelie-bin to Hedley Verity, not a bad transformation in a day.

And what was Blofeld's forté as a cricketer?
He doesn't have to be a tosser as well as incompetent...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Timewell said:
Who says you have to play international cricket to know anything about it?
nobody.. But you could at least have done something yourself before insulting someone about it....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
And what was Blofeld's forté as a cricketer?
He doesn't have to be a tosser as well as incompetent...
Wasn't he a promising keeper that had his career ended by a double decker (bus, not chocoalte bar)?

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:

if its one thing i cant stand its people misquoting....his exact quote was "He may not quite have made the leap ... to Hedley Verity status but he has certainly left wheelie-binnery far behind."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
Please not, I'm NOT trying to start another Murali debate at all. We already have a thread for that.
A thread?
We must have had 50.
We've got one at the moment, only because I dug it up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Do you think Henry Blofeld is exceptional at his trade? He may be a dear old fuddy duddy, but there are only so many mistakes you can make until it starts to show and look unprofessional..

He may have done good serivce, but the time has come to move on Blowers...
Nah, I like him.
Don't mind how many times he gets little things wrong, long as he gets them right eventually - and normally it doesn't take long.
As has been shown by Simon Mann and Mark Saggers, who are good but clearly not in the class of CMJ and Aggers, long-term know-how is so vital in radio commentary.
There are reasons people are successes for so long, and if so many people disliked him Bakkers would have sacked him by now.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
if its one thing i cant stand its people misquoting....his exact quote was "He may not quite have made the leap ... to Hedley Verity status but he has certainly left wheelie-binnery far behind."
are you sure? i was listening to it and i'm sure remember the exact quote "he's gone from a wheelie bin to Hedley Verity"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Nah, I like him.
Don't mind how many times he gets little things wrong, long as he gets them right eventually - and normally it doesn't take long.

What's his first chance correction average?