• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 30 man squad for icc championships

Mingster

State Regular
Only that Cumming made a fool of himself against express fast bowlers unlike Key who struggled against medium-pacers.

Andre

International Regular
Tim said:
I dunno about that..I think Key's future is not ODI's unfortunately. He looks to be in the same boat that Craig Cumming recently found himself in for NZ.
His future isn't in ODI's, but he still deserves a token place in the 30.

As does Butcher, but that's another story...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig Cumming was an extremely bizarre case.

The selectors' meeting would have gone something like this:

"What are Craig Cumming's stats, Sir Richard?"

"Averages in the mid to upper 30s in FC and under 20 in domestic one-day"

"Ah, so that means he must be a top class one day batsman, lets put him in to open against Pakistan, he should have no troubles dealing with Shoaib and Sami!"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Currently he would be 2nd in line for a Test spot (behind Collingwood), when Pietersen becomes available, he would be 3rd in line IMO.

I wouldn't necessarily say he's 2nd in line behind Collingwood - there's a group of players who would all be in with a shout after Collingwood.

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
Hahah, obviously not...

Its a shame he felt he had to leave SA to get international cricket.. It seems to me that they have relaxed the national team quota a bit with Gibbs + Makhaya coming through..

Saw the Warwickshire v Northants game today, it was a bit like watching a Southern African 2nd XI...
He (Pieterson) may not have gotten into the SA side that soon. Our top four is pretty much settled: Smith, Gibbs, Rudolph, Kallis. Maybe he could have replaced Rudolph if he had waited but the selectors probably didn't want to mess with the top order with Gary Kirsten gone now. Rudolph is an extremely talented batsman though and a pretty useful bowler. We also have players such as JP Duminy, Andrew Puttick, AB de Villiers and Stephen Cook coming through (as well as a few I may have forgotten :) ) so I'm not sure how much of a loss it's going to be. Anyway, we don't need batsman, we need bowlers!!

Mingster

State Regular
_Ed_ said:
Craig Cumming was an extremely bizarre case.

The selectors' meeting would have gone something like this:

"What are Craig Cumming's stats, Sir Richard?"

"Averages in the mid to upper 30s in FC and under 20 in domestic one-day"

"Ah, so that means he must be a top class one day batsman, lets put him in to open against Pakistan, he should have no troubles dealing with Shoaib and Sami!"

They said they picked Cumming because he had the technique.... 8-)

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I wouldn't necessarily say he's 2nd in line behind Collingwood - there's a group of players who would all be in with a shout after Collingwood.
Like who?

Rikki Clarke?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the selectors seriously think these are the 30 best one-day cricketers in the country who have not made themselves unavailable for ODIs they are having some big, very bad, joke.
Why should Gloucs or Glam deserve players in the squad, incidentally? International selection is judged on individual performance, not team success.
Simon Jones has to be the worst ODI selection ever. Average over 130, ER of nearly 6-an-over.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Go on then, name the 30 that should have been picked, because you clearly know more than the selectors do.

tooextracool

International Coach
Adamc said:
There is no room for him in the Test side though. He has a weakness against innocuous medium-pacers. :wacko:
that doesnt mean you put him in the wrong form of the game in the wrong batting position and expect him to succeed now does it?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
i dont know why collingwood should be first in line ATM....his form in ODIs has been disastrous for nearly a year now.

tooextracool

International Coach
Andre said:
His future isn't in ODI's, but he still deserves a token place in the 30.

As does Butcher, but that's another story...
there isnt really much of a point in including him in the 30 if he isnt going to be considered at all.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
If the selectors seriously think these are the 30 best one-day cricketers in the country who have not made themselves unavailable for ODIs they are having some big, very bad, joke.
Why should Gloucs or Glam deserve players in the squad, incidentally? International selection is judged on individual performance, not team success.
Simon Jones has to be the worst ODI selection ever. Average over 130, ER of nearly 6-an-over.
so whats new?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
He (Pieterson) may not have gotten into the SA side that soon. Our top four is pretty much settled: Smith, Gibbs, Rudolph, Kallis. Maybe he could have replaced Rudolph if he had waited but the selectors probably didn't want to mess with the top order with Gary Kirsten gone now. Rudolph is an extremely talented batsman though and a pretty useful bowler. We also have players such as JP Duminy, Andrew Puttick, AB de Villiers and Stephen Cook coming through (as well as a few I may have forgotten :) ) so I'm not sure how much of a loss it's going to be. Anyway, we don't need batsman, we need bowlers!!
Yeah agreed, Don't know what is coming through in the bowling department at the mo.. Zondeki and Ngam seem to be inconsistant and injury prone.. At least Ntini and Nel are performing (although Nel had a poor tour of NZ)

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Monde was in a car accident and Ngam is (apparently) back to full fitness but for how long I have no idea. I guess everything happens in cycles. We used to have this great pace attack and no real talented batsmen. Now that's all turned around.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And I would also rate Wagh ahead of Bell...

He has been in the thoughts a while now (went on the first academy tour), and his off spin is improving.

Also, how many Cricketers with surnames pronounced like his have failed at Inernational level?