• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 30 man squad for icc championships

tooextracool

International Coach
Squad: Michael Vaughan (captain, Yorkshire, Age 29, Caps 49), Kabir Ali (Worcestershire, 23, 1), James Anderson (Lancashire, 21, 36), Gareth Batty (Worcestershire, 26, 5), Ian Bell (Warwickshire, 22, 0), Ian Blackwell (Somerset, 26, 23), Rikki Clarke (Surrey, 22, 17), Paul Collingwood (Durham, 28,52), Richard Dawson (Yorkshire , 23, 0), Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire, 26, 74), Alex Gidman (Gloucestershire, 23, 0), Ashley Giles (Warwickshire, 31, 37), Darren Gough (Essex, 33, 131), Stephen Harmison (Durham, 25, 16), Geraint Jones (Kent, 27, 5), Simon Jones (Glamorgan, 25, 0), Robert Key (Kent, 25, 5), James Kirtley (Sussex, 29, 11), Jon Lewis (Gloucestershire, 28, 0), Anthony McGrath (Yorkshire, 28, 13), Sajid Mahmood (Lancashire, 22, 1), Graham Napier (Essex, 24, 0), Michael Powell (Glamorgan, 27, 0), Chris Read (Nottinghamshire, 25, 28), Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire, 28, 21), Andrew Strauss (Middlesex, 27, 11), Chris Tremlett (Hampshire, 22, 0), Marcus Trescothick (Somerset, 28, 85), Mark Wagh (Warwickshire, 27, 0), Alex Wharf (Glamorgan, 29, 0).

well the terrible foursome are all in it so we might yet see some selections marvels. and for chris.......solanki and kabir are in

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why are Anthony McGrath and Rikki Clarke in that side? Are there no more deserving players in the whole of England?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Chris will be happy :)
Surprised Kabir's in there cos he's not had the best of seasons since his injury comeback but Vik's had a top season this year from the nightmare of last so im not surprised to see him.
Glad Bell is in there and finally the likes of Glamorgan / Gloucestershire who have dominated the domestic one day scene have got some recognition. A bit too late you could say though.
No idea why Dawson / Simon Jones are in there though, no chance for them to make the final 14.

Cant really argue with the rest. Glad to see Tremlett in as ive always thought he's had potential that he just hasnt shown (a distinct lack of pace for one, maybe the idea is to get Cooley have a week with him).

Swervy

International Captain
just cant see how they can completely rule out Butcher...think the selectors are being a bit pig headed about this

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Apparently it appears he's only just told them he wishes to be considered!

I expect that the 14 won't be too different from that originally selected for the Natwest (although McGrath will fall I feel)

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Swervy said:
just cant see how they can completely rule out Butcher...think the selectors are being a bit pig headed about this
Of course they are. They are going to leave him out and put some players like McGrath and Clarke, who do not deserve to be there :dry:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ooh Alex Wharf, thats interesting... He has always been pretty good when I have seen him, I hope he gets a go...

To be honest though, that squad just highlights how dire things are from Englands point of view!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Wheres Pietersen? can't they name him in the squad until he's got residency?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would guess not - the fact he qualifies in October *should* make the batsmen selected concentrate on performing,

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hahah, obviously not...

Its a shame he felt he had to leave SA to get international cricket.. It seems to me that they have relaxed the national team quota a bit with Gibbs + Makhaya coming through..

Saw the Warwickshire v Northants game today, it was a bit like watching a Southern African 2nd XI...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see the name "Dimitri Mascarenhas(Hampshire)" anywhere in that list. I can't see why 'Dimmy' is not in the selectors eyes, despite being a consistent performer and allrounder for Hampshire. Lesser consistent performers seem to make it into various selection Teams and tours very easily.

May be some one who has access to averages and stats can tell us what his recent performances are like.

He is a consistent Match winner in one day matches and Twenty Twenty,isn't he ? Why is he not being picked for England ?

Craig

World Traveller
I'm surprised they keep picking Robert Key in the wrong form of the game he is suited to.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
I'm surprised they keep picking Robert Key in the wrong form of the game he is suited to.
There is no room for him in the Test side though. He has a weakness against innocuous medium-pacers. :wacko:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This 30 means little though, as only 14 can be selected, so most of those selections are just being paid lipservice.

Craig

World Traveller
Adamc said:
There is no room for him in the Test side though. He has a weakness against innocuous medium-pacers. :wacko:
Oh I know that.

Currently he would be 2nd in line for a Test spot (behind Collingwood), when Pietersen becomes available, he would be 3rd in line IMO.

But there isn't much point picking for a game they are not suited to.

WRT to his weakness, it is actually mental then medium pacers.

Andre

International Regular
Key played an ODI last week, and he wasn't as disgraceful as some of the other squad members - it would be a farce to have left him out.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno about that..I think Key's future is not ODI's unfortunately. He looks to be in the same boat that Craig Cumming recently found himself in for NZ.