B Dippenaar
    R Peterson
    H Gibbs
    S Pollock
    N Hayward
    M van Jaarsveld
    J Kallis
    A Nel
    * A Dawson and J-P Duminy will replace Dippenaar and Hayward for the one-day series

well klusener and hayward are recalled,but i must wonder what peterson is doing in the side....certainly there must be better spinners than him in SA?
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    So Dippenaar is selected for Tests - with a Test average in the mid-20s. He is left-out of the ODIs - despite an ODI average in the 40s.
    And it's not as if this hasn't happened before.
    Sometimes I really do wonder how selectors keep their jobs, whatever country they're from.
    Good to see Van Jaarsveld in there, just a shame McKenzie blew his chance.
    Good also to see Dawson's still in the frame for ODIs.
    The influence of the lack of Gary Kirsten, however, cannot be underestimated.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Whey not Andrew Hall?

Good to see Klusener back in the team. He can be quite effective, even now. His hard-hitting batting cannot be counted out.

Who's J-P Duminy?
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Jean-Paul Duminy is quite possibly an even better batsman than Graeme Smith. Check-out his CricInfo profile, that's all I say. I don't think many will be saying "who's he?" in a couple of years' time.
    No Andrew Hall because his recent Test and ODI form has been woefully sub-par, and it's good to see Klusener back in instead of him.

Pinball Champion!
    Welcome back Richard...

Yeah JP Duminy, I expect big things of this guy.. Also have a look at Andrew Puttick from WP who I rate quite a bit...

Andrew Hall, bit harsh to have him out when some poor excuse for a spinner like Peterson is playing.. Hopefully he will get slaughtered and BojÚ will take the hatful he deserves...

IMO Van Jaarsveld will be higher up the pecking order than Dippenaar.. He is a bit of a run glut in the supersport, excellent cricketer IMO...

As for Zulu and Nantie, I never thought I would see them back, its great to see though..

Don't agree with Dawson in the ODI setup.. Im unsure as to Mondi Zondeki's fitness, but he seems to be injured..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Spectator
    Any chance of Mfuenko Ngam returning to the South Africa squad in the near future?

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I'd expect him to be back in the squad the moment that he returns to full fitness... whenever that will be (if ever).
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    I'd expect him to be back in the squad the moment that he returns to full fitness... whenever that will be (if ever).
    Yeah, last I heard was he was involved in a traffic accident in KZN.. Not really condusive to fast bowling that...

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Welcome back Richard...

Yeah JP Duminy, I expect big things of this guy.. Also have a look at Andrew Puttick from WP who I rate quite a bit...

Andrew Hall, bit harsh to have him out when some poor excuse for a spinner like Peterson is playing.. Hopefully he will get slaughtered and BojÚ will take the hatful he deserves...

IMO Van Jaarsveld will be higher up the pecking order than Dippenaar.. He is a bit of a run glut in the supersport, excellent cricketer IMO...

As for Zulu and Nantie, I never thought I would see them back, its great to see though..

Don't agree with Dawson in the ODI setup.. Im unsure as to Mondi Zondeki's fitness, but he seems to be injured..
    If you ask me two spinners is neccessary in the squad - but no matter how many times Adams takes a poor haul I'll never agree with the selection of Peterson ahead of him, even in a spin-paradise we expect Sri Lanka to be.
    I hope VJ gets some runs certainly, he's been very unfortunate to miss-out for as long as he has. Say it again, though - it's a crying shame about Neil McKenzie.

Dawson is a good bowler for these slow surfaces, isn't he?

Tim
    How can you automatically say Duminy will be as good as Smith when he's only played around 10 games in each form of the game?

He's got excellent records..but I recall a certain Ambati Rayudu from India tailing off after a brilliant start to his FC career.

There are a couple of players in NZ who also have similar records...e.g. Ryder & Taylor but they've got to be consistent in the next few years before we'll trully know whether they've got the goods.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    How can you automatically say Duminy will be as good as Smith when he's only played around 10 games in each form of the game?

Because he knows more than the rest of us put together!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun
    Dawson is a good bowler for these slow surfaces, isn't he?
    yeah he can be a good bowler in those conditions.. However if someone like Jayasuriya takes a liking to him early on, it could get messy...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim

He's got excellent records..but I recall a certain Ambati Rayudu from India tailing off after a brilliant start to his FC career.

There are a couple of players in NZ who also have similar records...e.g. Ryder & Taylor but they've got to be consistent in the next few years before we'll trully know whether they've got the goods.
    This almost beggars belief.
    When did I ever "automatically" say Duminy "will be" as good as Graeme? I said "is quite possibly". Because it is perfectly true that a single season cannot show the goods by itself. There is a slight difference, though, in that the Kiwi First-Class prospects seem rather less good at the one-day game. Duminy has both ATM.
    I'm not too enthusiastic about his selection at this stage of his career, and frankly I have to wonder what McKenzie's done wrong in the ODIs. I've never been a fan of premature international introduction and it's quite clear from his comments regarding his selection that he's a bit taken aback too. But it's possible (note - possible) that he may be so good that it won't adversely affect him; Tendulkar, Imran and a few others survived a premature introduction.

Tim
    What are you on Richard? take a look at the averages for some of NZ's players in the ODI's. Some of them got their averages up into the 40's this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information