• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South africa squad to tour Sri lanka

tooextracool

International Coach
G Smith
L Klusener
M Boucher
J Rudolph
N Boje
M Ntini
B Dippenaar
R Peterson
H Gibbs
S Pollock
N Hayward
M van Jaarsveld
J Kallis
A Nel
* A Dawson and J-P Duminy will replace Dippenaar and Hayward for the one-day series

well klusener and hayward are recalled,but i must wonder what peterson is doing in the side....certainly there must be better spinners than him in SA?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So Dippenaar is selected for Tests - with a Test average in the mid-20s. He is left-out of the ODIs - despite an ODI average in the 40s.
And it's not as if this hasn't happened before.
Sometimes I really do wonder how selectors keep their jobs, whatever country they're from.
Good to see Van Jaarsveld in there, just a shame McKenzie blew his chance.
Good also to see Dawson's still in the frame for ODIs.
The influence of the lack of Gary Kirsten, however, cannot be underestimated.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Whey not Andrew Hall?

Good to see Klusener back in the team. He can be quite effective, even now. His hard-hitting batting cannot be counted out.

Who's J-P Duminy?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jean-Paul Duminy is quite possibly an even better batsman than Graeme Smith. Check-out his CricInfo profile, that's all I say. I don't think many will be saying "who's he?" in a couple of years' time.
No Andrew Hall because his recent Test and ODI form has been woefully sub-par, and it's good to see Klusener back in instead of him.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Welcome back Richard...

Yeah JP Duminy, I expect big things of this guy.. Also have a look at Andrew Puttick from WP who I rate quite a bit...

Andrew Hall, bit harsh to have him out when some poor excuse for a spinner like Peterson is playing.. Hopefully he will get slaughtered and Bojé will take the hatful he deserves...

IMO Van Jaarsveld will be higher up the pecking order than Dippenaar.. He is a bit of a run glut in the supersport, excellent cricketer IMO...

As for Zulu and Nantie, I never thought I would see them back, its great to see though..

Don't agree with Dawson in the ODI setup.. Im unsure as to Mondi Zondeki's fitness, but he seems to be injured..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd expect him to be back in the squad the moment that he returns to full fitness... whenever that will be (if ever).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
I'd expect him to be back in the squad the moment that he returns to full fitness... whenever that will be (if ever).
Yeah, last I heard was he was involved in a traffic accident in KZN.. Not really condusive to fast bowling that...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Welcome back Richard...

Yeah JP Duminy, I expect big things of this guy.. Also have a look at Andrew Puttick from WP who I rate quite a bit...

Andrew Hall, bit harsh to have him out when some poor excuse for a spinner like Peterson is playing.. Hopefully he will get slaughtered and Bojé will take the hatful he deserves...

IMO Van Jaarsveld will be higher up the pecking order than Dippenaar.. He is a bit of a run glut in the supersport, excellent cricketer IMO...

As for Zulu and Nantie, I never thought I would see them back, its great to see though..

Don't agree with Dawson in the ODI setup.. Im unsure as to Mondi Zondeki's fitness, but he seems to be injured..
If you ask me two spinners is neccessary in the squad - but no matter how many times Adams takes a poor haul I'll never agree with the selection of Peterson ahead of him, even in a spin-paradise we expect Sri Lanka to be.
I hope VJ gets some runs certainly, he's been very unfortunate to miss-out for as long as he has. Say it again, though - it's a crying shame about Neil McKenzie.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
How can you automatically say Duminy will be as good as Smith when he's only played around 10 games in each form of the game?

He's got excellent records..but I recall a certain Ambati Rayudu from India tailing off after a brilliant start to his FC career.

There are a couple of players in NZ who also have similar records...e.g. Ryder & Taylor but they've got to be consistent in the next few years before we'll trully know whether they've got the goods.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
How can you automatically say Duminy will be as good as Smith when he's only played around 10 games in each form of the game?

Because he knows more than the rest of us put together!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Arjun said:
Dawson is a good bowler for these slow surfaces, isn't he?
yeah he can be a good bowler in those conditions.. However if someone like Jayasuriya takes a liking to him early on, it could get messy...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:

He's got excellent records..but I recall a certain Ambati Rayudu from India tailing off after a brilliant start to his FC career.

There are a couple of players in NZ who also have similar records...e.g. Ryder & Taylor but they've got to be consistent in the next few years before we'll trully know whether they've got the goods.
This almost beggars belief.
When did I ever "automatically" say Duminy "will be" as good as Graeme? I said "is quite possibly". Because it is perfectly true that a single season cannot show the goods by itself. There is a slight difference, though, in that the Kiwi First-Class prospects seem rather less good at the one-day game. Duminy has both ATM.
I'm not too enthusiastic about his selection at this stage of his career, and frankly I have to wonder what McKenzie's done wrong in the ODIs. I've never been a fan of premature international introduction and it's quite clear from his comments regarding his selection that he's a bit taken aback too. But it's possible (note - possible) that he may be so good that it won't adversely affect him; Tendulkar, Imran and a few others survived a premature introduction.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What are you on Richard? take a look at the averages for some of NZ's players in the ODI's. Some of them got their averages up into the 40's this year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I didn't mention ODI averages, I was talking about the domestic OD averages of the like of Ryder who are very promising players in the First-Class game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Aren't you always impressing on us that the 2 games are unrelated though?

Or is that another belief that's changed?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it's one of the many beliefs that hasn't changed, and one of the many you've attempted to misphrase in an attempt to prove wrong.
I've never said the two game-forms are totally unrelated, just that success in one doesn't gurantee success in the other.
What, incidentally, did my comment on the prowess some Kiwi players have to do with my supposed contradicting of my theories on the two game-forms?

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Say it again, though - it's a crying shame about Neil McKenzie.
I agree 100%.

I long for the day McKenzie would make a big 100 in Tests. He is as good of a player of fast bowling as you will ever get and to his credit when from no hoper against spin to be good against spin.