• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka vs Zimbabwe 2019/20

Spark

Global Moderator
Jan 19, Sun - Jan 23, Thu
Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka, 1st Test
Harare Sports Club, Harare
7:00 PM
08:00 AMGMT / 10:00 AM LOCAL

Jan 27, Mon - Jan 31, Fri
Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test
Harare Sports Club, Harare
7:00 PM
08:00 AMGMT / 10:00 AM LOCAL

Spark

Global Moderator
I'll be honest the main reason I made this thread is to highlight this piece of galaxy brain brilliance from SL's chief selector:

"Most probably we will go with the same batting lineup [as we did in Karachi], with Angelo Mathews at four, Dinesh Chandimal at five, Dhananjaya de Silva at six and Niroshan Dickwella keeping," [Asantha de Mel] told ESPNcricinfo. "Kusal has an issue with his hamstrings where he can't run around the field as much. And because Dickwella is the main keeper, we thought there was no point taking another keeper."

Kusal had struck Sri Lanka's innings of the year in 2019, his 153 not out in Durban earning global plaudits, but had had a poor series against New Zealand in August and September last year, in which he made 1, 23, 0 and 0. He was in the squad, but did not play a Test in Pakistan.

"Yes, Kusal can make 150s, but we needed someone who can occupy the crease, which is why we chose Thirimanne," de Mel said. "Thirimanne can also bat in the top order or as an opener." Thirimanne's batting average, however, is 22.64 after 68 innings.
Actually scoring runs: overrated, apparently.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
That's incredible. Ridiculous justification for picking Thirimanne, although I suppose there's pretty much no such thing as a valid reason for selecting him anyway

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thirimanne is perceived to be a god for overseas tours. He probably has a big heart, doubt he has even ever got twin 50s in a Test.

Always a nice surprise when a Test series creeps up on you. Actually creeps is not even the right word, im very surprised, thought it would be a T20 series if anything.

ataraxia

International Coach
I'll be honest the main reason I made this thread is to highlight this piece of galaxy brain brilliance from SL's chief selector:

Actually scoring runs: overrated, apparently.
They should have picked Thirimanne for the higher score IMO

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shame. I like Burl's part time leggies. Made Aritra Dutta look like a fool which was amusing tstl.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How does a fast bowler injure his bicep ffs. Must’ve been trying to get jacked for the summer.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Charlton Tshuma, that is the first time I have seen a player in a Test squad who I have genuinely never heard of before in a good 3-4 years. Only 5 FC games but he isn't especially young, ITSTL.

Has anyone here seen him bowl? Late bloomer or just another meme Zimbabwe selection?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The actual man to go should be Kusal Mendis. Kusal Perera, should exclusively play limited overs stuff, because that is whay he is good at. Currently, the only position in question is #3. Karunarathne, BOP, Mathews, Chandimal, DdS and Dikwella all have cemented their places. More than tried, tested and failed thiri, Avishka Fernando or Shehan jayasuriya should get the nod.

Shady Slim

International Coach
keen as for zimbabwe tests, we haven’t had one in forever and it’s good for cricket

without derailing the thread heaps put me in the basket of people who fell for the bit that mugabe finally keeling over was a blessing for zimbabwe cricket

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How is the buzz for this match?

Actually a decent chance of rain in Harare days 1 and 2 but sunny after that.

I dont know much about the Zimbo openers but its a jam packed middle order. Keen for some Sir Don batting, if he makes 14 and lasts an hour it will be goood.

I checked Kayo and weirdly this isnt being televised, youtube or a nice river?