• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

General team of the 2010s thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I did this for Bradman, it was pretty great.
You can keep scrolling down to find situations where the average is low. In Bradman's case it's his average in matches lost (43.3), which clearly shows he was poor when the chips were down.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Player retires too late, criticise him
Player retires too early, criticise him

It’s nearly impossible to retire at exactly the right time...but I’m sure CW would criticise him even if a player did.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Player retires too late, criticise him
Player retires too early, criticise him

It’s nearly impossible to retire at exactly the right time...but I’m sure CW would criticise him even if a player did.
I think Bradman retired at the perfect time.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
flower did a fine job of ****ing up finn's england career

pietersen's description in 'the edge' of how flower managed the finn situation on the 13/14 tour is damning. flower comes across as a sociopath.

Last edited:

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
kohli has won wisden and gets all the hype because he's an atg indian batsman and the media line up to give him and the rest of his side fellatio. smith is comfortably better in test cricket and before this australian tour i'd take kane too.

the world cup semi final commentary is the perfect example of how trash the cricketing media are when it comes to evaluating indian players (and how poor they are in general - we deserve better as fans). that's the sweetest top order collapse i've ever witnessed purely for the tears and the straw clutching.

shifty_eyes

U19 12th Man
Easy there . Virat Kohli has already won WISDEN leading cricketer in the World thrice which takes him at par with Jack Hobbs, Warne , Viv Richards. None of Devilliers, Smith have won the award even once.

Steve smith has no right to be in contention for leading cricketer of the decade when he can't even make ODI and T20 team of the decade.
original.jpg
Bruh, do you even cricket? There are 22 players with more average than Kohli in previous decade across all formats. Are you going to ignore Patterson averaging 144 just because he is Australian? You surely don't wanna get banned on this hard and fair forum.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
View attachment 25032
Bruh, do you even cricket? There are 22 players with more average than Kohli in previous decade across all formats. Are you going to ignore Patterson averaging 144 just because he is Australian? You surely don't wanna get banned on this hard and fair forum.
Mate Sunilz probably considers Bradman to be worse than Jadeja because he never bowled or played ODI cricket.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think Bradman retired at the perfect time.
I mean he surely would've kept adding value to the Australian side for a lot longer? He averaged 72 in his last series, even with the last innings duck. Maybe he retired at the right time for his legacy.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I mean he surely would've kept adding value to the Australian side for a lot longer? He averaged 72 in his last series, even with the last innings duck. Maybe he retired at the right time for his legacy.
I think your last point is the most relevant one. Even if he did have a mediocre series next time out his reputation wouldn't exactly have been tarnished, but nice to go out when still great. I suppose he'd seen Hammond play a series too many and didn't want to experience that.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Personally I'm not someone who cares about when a player retires. Whether or not they want to play/make themselves available is entirely a personal choice and I won't get angry at a player for their decision on such a matter. But if people do decide that retiring can be a selfish act, then surely it should be about whether they're still a positive impact to the team, rather than whether they'll maintain their career average/reputation? In the case of Bradman, even if he became half the player, he'd still be a huge asset to any side.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I don’t think retiring is a selfish act at all. Its a very personal decision, and it should be completely up to the player involved, based on whatever criteria they deem prudent.

Daemon

I don’t think retiring is a selfish act at all. Its a very personal decision, and it should be completely up to the player involved, based on whatever criteria they deem prudent.
That’s a description of being selfish though :p

Nothing wrong with being selfish fwiw. It’s the selectors problem.

Burgey

Devilliers did nothing in WT20 where Kohli won MOS twice in 2014 and 2016 and was top scorer in both tournaments. Kohli has better cumulative average than Devilliers last decade and 8000 more runs. There is absolutely no doubt that he is cricketer of the decade unless you give 80% weightage to test cricket and then Steve Smith comes into discussion.
The gulf between Smith and Kohli in tests is greater than that between them in ODIs, and about a zillion times more important.

Burgey

You can keep scrolling down to find situations where the average is low. In Bradman's case it's his average in matches lost (43.3), which clearly shows he was poor when the chips were down.
The chips went down when he got out

Burgey

kohli has won wisden and gets all the hype because he's an atg indian batsman and the media line up to give him and the rest of his side fellatio. smith is comfortably better in test cricket and before this australian tour i'd take kane too.

the world cup semi final commentary is the perfect example of how trash the cricketing media are when it comes to evaluating indian players (and how poor they are in general - we deserve better as fans). that's the sweetest top order collapse i've ever witnessed purely for the tears and the straw clutching.
This is probably the fairest summation of his career tbh. Seeing him **** up consistently when the chips are down in WC KO matches across three tournaments is a thing of beauty.